The Salty Sea Dog GB Chat Part 2

44 minutes ago, Marklo said:

The hovercraft has arrived. I’m so excited to be building this one. Work commenced early tomorrow.

Mate of mine who was a few years older worked as an engineer for Hoverlloyd in the late 70s/early 80s and got some freebie tickets for a day trip to France for a few of us.  So we bunked off sixth form and headed off to France for the day!  I don't think I have ever felt quite so ill on anything either before or since either seaborne or airborne (including a small Survey ship in a South Atlantic Force 12 or doing aerobatics in the back seat of an F14).  It was so uncomfortable as it rattled you on top of the waves.

But I do remember that kit fondly, complete, IIRC, with a clear roof so you could show the interior.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, flashlight said:

Thought that it'd be sufficient if those details (scale, manufacturer) can be seen in the tags.

Tags will be fine, long as it's visible to the casual viewer (i.e. me). Just helps make a big job easier. Thanks.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TonyOD said:

Tags will be fine, long as it's visible to the casual viewer (i.e. me). Just helps make a big job easier. Thanks.

Thanks for the clarification Tony.  I've therefore taken the liberty of changing my title back to how it was.

Keep up the good work - it's proving to be a great GB!

Cheers

• Thanks 1

No modelling today as the wife and I took a trip to Port Adelaide, principally to visit the South Australian Aviation Museum.  After spending time at the small, but very good museum (I’ll post some photos elsewhere on the forum) we went looking for somewhere for lunch.  Had to be here:

52676130631_e94da969b7_b.jpg

52675619952_fb35428046_b.jpg

Happy to say the fish snd chips were very good.

52676130636_4fba84d765_b.jpg

Forgot to photo it before I got stuck in!

AW

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Andwil said:

No modelling today as the wife and I took a trip to Port Adelaide, principally to visit the South Australian Aviation Museum.

Gidday, I've been to the Maritime Museum there a couple of times, but not recently. The last time was early 1999. Great place. I can't recall what I had for lunch though.

Regards, Jeff.

Need a bit of help with something folks. My build until now have just been pretty straightforward - I've enjoyed my efforts whilst clearing my shelf of part built kits too. 

My Sea Harrier I'll start soon for the GB though, I'd like to try something new for me. We're all different, and I like quite clean aircraft (at the moment, maybe that'll change in time). But I'd like to try something that adds an extra dimension to the straight paint job.

So I'm thinking something like an oil paint wash? Something simple anyway. What do you think? Would another option, that's not too difficult, be more pleasing on the eye?

I'm a brush painter, and my Harrier will be in Medium Sea Grey if that helps at all.

• Like 1

I've decided to resign my commission as second mate on the good ship BMS* Salty Dog.

My enthusiasm has exhausted me and I really need a rest. I also need the two or three hours I've been spending every day following and commenting on ALL of your builds. I need that time to make models and to have some real life adventures too.

Thanks for having me aboard on the shakedown cruise and good luck on the many grand voyages that you will be making over the next three months. I'll be relaxing here on the beach, having swallowed the anchor and retired from the ocean swell.

Here's a song to play myself out

*Brit Modeller Ship

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 6

10 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

I've decided to resign my commission as second mate on the good ship BMS* Salty Dog.

This is mutiny, Mister McBoatface.  I'll see you swing from the highest yardarm in Plymouth Dock for this days work!  :bleh: 

But seriously...   you don't have to resign your commission.  Mabe just cut back on the commentaing and give more time to your own builds.  It's all about enjoying the groupbuild - and that goes whether we are taking about builds or hosting. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

46 minutes ago, Nerazzurri said:

My Sea Harrier I'll start soon for the GB though, I'd like to try something new for me. We're all different, and I like quite clean aircraft (at the moment, maybe that'll change in time). But I'd like to try something that adds an extra dimension to the straight paint job.

So I'm thinking something like an oil paint wash? Something simple anyway. What do you think?

An oil paint wash would be good and you have the advantage of building a Sea Harrier.   All Harriers got very dirty down the back end aft of the hot nozzles.  A thin grey/brown wash would work well.   Just take your time with it and apply numerous thin coats, allowing the previous coat to dry thoroughly.  The dirt got very streaky in the airflow under the belly.

When you get to the point where you think "That looks good. It just needs a smidge more..."  then that is the time to stop.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

... you don't have to resign your commission.  

You are quite right, I don't have to, but I want to. I'm just not enjoying the experience anymore. I know this is the right thing for me to do because when I told @TonyOD and @Col. of my decision the emotion that I felt was relief. Time to go, methinks.

Would you be so kind as to strip me of my moderator superpowers before I accidentally knock over a building while flying at night? Thanks @Enzo the Magnificent

• Sad 2

6 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

All Harriers got very dirty down the back end aft of the hot nozzles.  A thin grey/brown wash would work well.   Just take your time with it and apply numerous thin coats, allowing the previous coat to dry thoroughly.  The dirt got very streaky in the airflow under the belly.

Thanks Enzo.

So a localised effects, rather than panel definition? 

1 minute ago, Nerazzurri said:

So a localised effects, rather than panel definition? 

Indeed.  I never saw a Harrier with anything that looked like highlighted panels.   Do a Google image search to see what I mean about the back end and just how filthy it could get. 

• Like 1

Jumping ship before the halfway mark 😲 I suppose that's an occupational hazard when you go all or nothing. Thanks for your huge enthusiasm to get the GB rolling @Bertie McBoatface, sadly wasn't inexhaustible and you deserve a break 👍

Baggsy his bunk!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

My enthusiasm has exhausted me and I really need a rest. I also need the two or three hours I've been spending every day following and commenting on ALL of your builds. I need that time to make models and to have some real life adventures too.

Thanks for having me aboard on the shakedown cruise and good luck on the many grand voyages that you will be making over the next three months. I'll be relaxing here on the beach, having swallowed the anchor and retired from the ocean swell.

Here's a song to play myself out

*Brit Modeller Ship

Excuse the subtitles...

• Like 1

@Bertie McBoatface, thanks for the co-hosting duties and your relentless commitment to keeping an eye on all our builds. I must admit, that having co-hosted a few GB’s myself it can take its toll, with the usual result that your own builds get left to pasture. Don’t feel bad, just keep an eye on a few that take your fancy and hit the ‘like’ button as frequently as possible. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3