The Salty Sea Dog GB Chat Part 2

9 hours ago, Nerazzurri said:

A little late to the party

Doesn't apply before 1st May, shipmate. Welcome aboard with your icon of naval aviation.

• Like 1

It's been quiet on deck this evening, no finishers and the only new WIP thread is my own, I certainly won't be making a special trip to the Build List just for that!

Hope you're all having fun.

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, TonyOD said:

Hope you're all having fun.

I'm having fun tempered with a little anxiety about getting my builds finished 🤔. It's vital that I don't begin any more boats. (Are ye listening, Mac?)

I started my micro longboat because I enjoyed watching the 1/350 scale building with the tiny details. I've even been tempted by the helicopters. I realized yesterday that the three year old inside me is looking at all of your toys and screaming "I don't wanna play with my old boat. I want what he's got!!" 

Looking back, the same thing happened last year and it's long been at the root of my habit of buying kits that I don't actually want. That is something that never happened before I started joining clubs and talking to other modellers. 

Was anyone else stash free while a solitary modeller, but now suffers from a packed loft?

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Was anyone else stash free while a solitary modeller, but now suffers from a packed loft?

In my youth I couldn't afford a stash, and I took less care with finishing. So I went from one model to the next quite quickly!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Looking back, the same thing happened last year and it's long been at the root of my habit of buying kits that I don't actually want. That is something that never happened before I started joining clubs and talking to other modellers. 

Yes indeed.  I have been using group builds as a stash reduction strategy for the last couple of years, making the rule of not buying a kit only using what I already have.  And failing.

As a builder of aircraft I have been particularly enjoying the ship builds in this GB and am now having to resist the temptation of trying one myself.  Fortunately (or not?) the cost of such kits is a disincentive.

AW

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nerazzurri said:

In my youth I couldn't afford a stash, and I took less care with finishing. So I went from one model to the next quite quickly!

I returned to the hobby in a semi-serious way when I was demobbed at 40, but even then I would buy one build one which is something I'd like to get back to. The unbuilt ones tend to become a 'pending tray' and disturb my peace of mind, especially when the enthusiasm for the kit has ebbed away.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andwil said:

Yes indeed.  I have been using group builds as a stash reduction strategy for the last couple of years, making the rule of not buying a kit only using what I already have.  And failing.

GB's help me in that they speed me up and encourage me to build some long-stashed items even when the shine has worn off them

But they also hinder me by encouraging me to buy extra kits in order to feel like one of the gang. 

So far this year though, I'm winning. My total spend on modelmaking* in January was ZERO! And I certainly haven't been short of things to do.

*excluding books, which I think of as a separate hobby.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andwil said:

As a builder of aircraft I have been particularly enjoying the ship builds in this GB and am now having to resist the temptation of trying one myself.  Fortunately (or not?) the cost of such kits is a disincentive.

Gidday, another potential conversion. (You, not a kit! 😁) But seriously, it doesn't have to be a complex or expensive kit as a starter. Start simple, to see if you like it. Regards, Jeff.

33 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

The unbuilt ones tend to become a 'pending tray' and disturb my peace of mind, especially when the enthusiasm for the kit has ebbed away.

I get it 👍 

It's a nice approach, quite fun too. I was kinda thinking that way myself when I returned, and just building whatever grabbed my attention too.

But as time went on I started to form ideas in my mind of specific interests. And then with the cost of living and possible changes to my career going forward I thought it might be prudent to just buy anything I see that fits my likes (I do have a monthly budget though), as I'm not always going to have the money for kits when I retire.

It might make it easier to lay my hands on an appropriate kit for a GB too! This is just my second, but I like the little community around them 🍻

• Like 5

buy one build one

When I went back to doing Spits some six months ago, I sore to myself that this what I'd do. Since then I've accumulated some two dozen 1/48 Spitfire/Seafire kits, including doubles and even triples of some (four Eduard XVIe's). There have been several times where I've said to myself "Right, I have everything I need now...", then I see something at an unmissable price or whatever and... well, you know how it goes.

I've said it before and I've said it again, there's a doctoral thesis called The Psychology of the Stash just waiting to be written.

3 hours ago, Andwil said:

As a builder of aircraft I have been particularly enjoying the ship builds in this GB and am now having to resist the temptation of trying one myself.

Yeah I can relate to that. There's a small matter of a couple of 1/35 vehicles that I've picked up though, they may be the start of another branch of modelling for me.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Andwil said:

AW

The 4 Matchbox ship kits I'm currentlty doing were each less than a tenner, and a great introduction to maritime modelling. I'm really enjoying them. Apart from a Revell submarine and UDT boat I did last year, I have never built an actual ship before, but definitely want to build more, and I'd like to do one bigger than 1/700 too at some point.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Not stash free, but I have been keeping my stash very low since I came back to modelling last year, mainly due to not very much shelf space. I bought kits especially for this GB and build only one at a time. To start multiple builds simultaneously would be the guarantee that I would not finish any one of them. So buying kits especially for the GB doesn't have any effect on the stash, because  I build them right away, one after the other.

Let's see how long I can keep this habit! 😆 

1 hour ago, Nerazzurri said:

I get it 👍 

It's a nice approach, quite fun too. I was kinda thinking that way myself when I returned, and just building whatever grabbed my attention too.

But as time went on I started to form ideas in my mind of specific interests. And then with the cost of living and possible changes to my career going forward I thought it might be prudent to just buy anything I see that fits my likes (I do have a monthly budget though), as I'm not always going to have the money for kits when I retire.

I thought exactly the same but for me the problem is that my likes change so much. I built my last aircraft a year ago and despite enjoying cheering on all of you aeroplane builders, I find the thought of building a plank job myself totally uninspiring. However, the helicopters are turning me on so maybe that's not much of an argument! 😆

There's another strange thought that's lodged in my mind. It's totally illogical and I don't know where it comes from. I also never told anyone about this so be gentle when you reply. I'm 65 years old, fit, and healthy. I don't smoke, and drink sensibly. I have regular check ups, and my jabs are up to date. I'm not overweight and walk five miles every day as an absolute minimum. My dad died at 85 of a disease that's curable now. My mum died at 96. So I should be optimistic, right? I'll live forever!

The thing is, I have enough kits for about 5 years of building, and that worries me because I'm scared of dying before I finish them. My twisted logic says that if I don't have a pending stack of kits, the gods of modelling will let me live in the hope, I guess, that I'll re-acquire a stash so that they can laugh at me when they kill me. 

Isn't that weird? Even I know it's weird. It's not something that keeps me awake at nights or bothers me enough to sell some kits. Actually the modelling gods would see that and might consider it cheating and I don't know what they would do about that. It's just the reason that I'm always in a hurry. Oh well, I haven't claimed to be sane since 1997. 😜

1 hour ago, Nerazzurri said:

It might make it easier to lay my hands on an appropriate kit for a GB too! This is just my second, but I like the little community around them 🍻

Yeah, isn't it great. You can all come to my funeral. Free kits for everyone! 🤣

• Like 3

You can all come to my funeral. Free kits for everyone! 🤣

Dibs anything in Extra Dark Sea Grey 😁

Regarding your genes...........you must have a number of group builds left in you then! My wonder is how long I'll be able to see parts - I'm 51 and within just the last couple of years I've went to quite a strong prescription. I'm not sure what it is from the optometrist, but cheap reading glasses I get on best with are 3.5/4. Four years ago I didn't need anything! 😑

15 minutes ago, Nerazzurri said:

Regarding your genes...........you must have a number of group builds left in you then! My wonder is how long I'll be able to see parts - I'm 51 and within just the last couple of years I've went to quite a strong prescription. I'm not sure what it is from the optometrist, but cheap reading glasses I get on best with are 3.5/4. Four years ago I didn't need anything! 😑

It will be the arthritis in the hands that stops me. 🙁

36 minutes ago, Nerazzurri said:

Same here. In the last four years I have become increasingly more far-sighted (and, no it doesn't mean I can see the future like I thought it would ;) ). In 2018 I was wearing basic readers to build models. Today I have prescription progressive lenses (basically bifocals without the clear line of transition), and I need to update my prescription about once a year (I also use an optivizor magnifyer - my nerd hat, as I call it). Eye doctor says this happens because the lenses harden as we age, and the little eye muscles can't contract and release them as well to shift focus.  He say's I'll probably eventually develop cataracts and require eye surgery. My father started having the same problem when he was 40, and had his lenses replaced at 65 (last year). I'm 44 now. Hopefully in 20 years they can replace my lenses with something that fires a laser. :D

• Like 1

Decisions decisions. 

I finished my Sea fury mighty quickly, and still have three months of this awesome GB left. I'm trying to see if I have anything in my stash that interests me. I'd appreciate some thoughts, suggestions, ideas, admonishments from you band of pirates.

I was going to build one of several card ship models I have. But I've made several attempts at card models in the last decade, and so far my success rate has been 0 percent! 

I have some plastic ships: 1:700 USS Indianapolis and Liberty ship, 1:600 HMS Belfast and  a 1:72 La Niña. The though of 1:700 PE railings frightens me, and rigging the caravel (or is it a cogg?) frightens me even more.  So I'm feeling a bit iffy about committing to a ship build. 

I have a BUNCH of airplane models that have some degree of maritime connection. To keep with the spirit of the build, I'm limiting the list to stuff specifically developed for use out at sea. I'm also going to stick to 1/72, as the 1/48 builds have just left me feeling hollow lately. The ones I remember having (I haven't looked up in the loft lately) are a Cyberhobby Sea Venom, and a Revell USCG Chickasaw helicopter. I wish I had something with floats, but I don't think I do. At least not anything that I haven't already started.  building.  I suppose my anti-sub Shackleton would qualify too, but that's another big daunting kit. 

I haven't seen any amphibious armor in this GB yet. It would require buying a new model. I haven't bought any models this year yet... 

hm...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, SoftScience said:

Hopefully in 20 years they can replace my lenses with something that fires a laser. :D

Maybe a laser that welds seem lines without requiring fettling 🤔😁

Yip, I'm on the optivisor too - keep it levelled on the normal bit of my bifocals, above the reading lens. Going forward, I don't know what I'll end up using in years to come.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Andwil said:

Mine cost ten quid!  :wicked: 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SoftScience said:

I was going to build one of several card ship models I have. But I've made several attempts at card models in the last decade, and so far my success rate has been 0 perce

This is a good safe place to fail gloriously while teaching us and yourself how not to do card models, and eventually how to ace them. 

Model bravely, shipmate!

• Like 1

My problem here is that about 2/3 of my stash is eligible for the SSDGB!

I have three threads already started, plus two SoD builds that are SSD subjects,  and I keep getting inspired by others’ builds of more subjects I want to do! 

My first two SSD builds aren’t that far from completion, and so is one of the SoD builds, too.    So I will likely get at least one more into this GB…..

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Yeah but you're a special case. Only a pirate like you could build it! 

Arrrr!    :pirate:

Edited by Enzo the Magnificent
  • Haha 1