ICM Paint equivalent as Tamiya D12

Steve147

Hi all

I am looking at the paint requirements for ICM's 1/48 scale Bristol Beaufort Mk.I Torpedo Bomber. (#48310).  This is from the instructions on Scalemates.

One of the required paints is ICM's own #1054 (Chocolate (Chippings)).  They have listed a Tamiya equivalent as D12.

Is this paint (Tamiya D12) still available? 

However, looking at the artwork on the box cover (and instruction versions), I would think that this color should be more 'earth', or similar, than 'chocolate'. 

AK Interactive do make this color (AK11113), but I'm reluctant to purchase this paint if it's the only time I use it, and it then sits on the shelf for ever and a day.

Thanks in advance.

2 minutes ago, Steve147 said:

They have listed a Tamiya equivalent as D12.

I have no heard of any Tamiya D paint.

Note, we get questions like this quite often.  It just simpler to ask for right colour in what paint range you like.

From memory, the Beaufort at this stage was either Temperate Land Scheme, Dark Green/ Dark Earth over Sky, or Temperate Sea Scheme, Extra Dark Sea Grey/ Dark Slate Grey over Sky.

I'm guessing "chocolate" means Dark Earth.

The short is Tamiya don't do anything that really is much like Dark Earth.   

Anyway..

HTH 

• Like 1

I have this kit in front of me. The kit itself is really nice. The paint guide and colour call-outs are a horror story.

The colour you actually need for "P" on the paint guide is RAF Dark Earth. It's essentially similar to BS381C-450 Dark Earth although it wasn't in BS381C and certainly wouldn't have been numbered -450 at the time the RAF used it.

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies and @Troy Smith

Revell and Humbrol do a 'Dark Earth' (#82 & #29 respectively) and Tamiya, a 'Flat Earth' (XF52). MrColor actually do a BS381C-450 Dark Earth, #C369  (MrHobby #H072).

I do have those paints (except the MrC/MrH) so will probably use one of those, even if they are not the completely correct shade as used at the time.

Once again many thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve147 said:

Revell and Humbrol do a 'Dark Earth' (#82 & #29 respectively) and Tamiya, a 'Flat Earth' (XF52). MrColor actually do a BS381C-450 Dark Earth, #C369  (MrHobby #H072).

I do have those paints (except the MrC/MrH) so will probably use one of those, even if they are not the completely correct shade as used at the time.

Tamiya XF-52 is hopeless, too red, too light (so too much white)

Humbrol H29 is OK, but not great, is this acrylic or enamel.

Revell 82 Dark Earth is close, as are the other Revell Aqua colours relevant for either scheme

The DE is measure of how close to the paint chip, under 2 is very close

Revell Aqua 36182 Dark Earth RAF | RAF Dark Earth

Difference: 2.39 DE

Revell Aqua 36168 Dark Green RAF | RAF Dark Green

Difference: 2.85 DE

36174 - Gunship grey | RAF Extra Dark Sea Grey

Difference: 0.59 DE

Revell Aqua 36179 - Greyish blue | RAF Ocean Grey

Difference: 1.59 DE

36167 - RAL 7009 - Greenish grey | RAF Dark Slate Grey

Difference: 2.02 DE

Revell Aqua 36159 | RAF Sky