Spitfire Mk.IXc Cockpit Colour - Again...

Peter Browne

I know this is an oldie, but I still haven't seen anything definitive (if that is possible) on the correct colour choice or mix of a Mk.IXc cockpit.  I know it is called grey green.  I'm looking at acrylics, preferably Tamiya, but any good quality acrylic that goes down easily and smooth.  I don't mind mixing Tamiya acrylics.

Probably should look like this one from Biggin Hill Heritage Hanger 

spacer.png

This is the closest I have seen in 1/32...the bottom one could be paler IMO at that scale.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Peter Browne said:

I'm looking at acrylics, preferably Tamiya

XF-71,  add some medium grey is likely as simple mix.

@Casey did series of Tamiya mixes to the RAF museum paint chips.

Note, at some point in late 43 to mid 44 the internal colour switched to all grey green,  prior to that only the cockpit area between instrument panel and seat bulkhead, and engine bearers were grey green,  all the rest of the internals were aluminium paint, so you might want to state what serial you are interested in.

@Magpie22 @gingerbob may recall more precise details.  I'm on a phone and I find digging out info easier on computer.

HTH 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Peter Browne said:

Thanks Troy,  Not sure about a specific A/C yet.  This will be for the 1/24 Airfix Mk.IXc. Possibly go with EN398.

EN398 IX 3989 CHA M63 FF 13-2-43 402Sq 18-2-43 416Sq 23-3-43 Station HQ Kenley 4-4-43 AST mods 416Sq 16-4-43 421Sq 27-7-43 AST 26-8-43 CAC ops 24-9-43 AST 83GSU 23-3-44 Scottish Aviation 22-8-44 9MU 9-1-45 80OTU 24-5-45 29MU 21-3-46 sold scrap H.Bath 10-11-49 (WgCdr Johnson shot down 16 of his final total of 34 enemy aircraft)

From

http://www.airhistory.org.uk/spitfire/p035.html

This is the mostly aluminium paint internals  era.

HTH 

22 hours ago, dogsbody said:

These are the Interior Grey-greens I have. Pick one!

51366010103_7009a52dfe_b.jpg

Chris

Does no-one use Vallejo? 

I've been using Model Air 71.126 IDF/IAF Green and 71.305 Interior Grey Green.  Toying with trying their 71.095 Pale Green as it seems a better match to the colour on the Eduard photo-etch set I have for a Spit Vb.

Also Chris :)

• Like 1

On 1/28/2023 at 4:44 PM, Railfan87 said:

Does no-one use Vallejo? 

I've been using Model Air 71.126 IDF/IAF Green and 71.305 Interior Grey Green. 

Likewise, but not averse to using AKRC 233 with a drop of MSG, or MRP's Interior Grey Green (111) or BS 283 Aircraft Grey-Green (228).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Whitewolf said:

Migammo do a UK interior green - A.MIG 219 FS34226 (BS283) Interior Green

This sets alarm bells ringing.

If it listed BS283, with the FS595 in brackets....   but a look at epaint

https://www.e-paint.co.uk/colour-alternatives.asp?cRange=BS+381C&cRef=BS381C+283&cDescription=Aircraft+grey+green

34226 Nasa Primer is listed as "noticeably different"  in the link.

Anytime I now a see a paint being listed with FS595 for a WW2 RAF colour I'm wary.   to have a BS381c/FS595 is also a a cause for concern.

7 hours ago, Whitewolf said:

which pretty much looks the part.

It may well be fine.  Some of Mig Ammo 'matches' were seriously wrong, the pics have not gone.    

This is what was used in this build, and it look OK. 

K9OCAbb.jpg

from

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235060825-172-airfix-lancaster-as-w4308-uv-c-for-charlie-lost-23-january-1943/page/2/#elControls_3541749_menu

HTH

• 2 months later...

To bring back the thread, I've tried to colour match a piece of original Spitfire Mk IX interior colour for an Airfix 1/24th build. The part has spent most of the last 70 years underground, away from the light, but exposed to corroding damp and soil. Dulux were very helpful, starting with a large scanning machine, which got confused. A smaller mobile point scanner suggested an obviously darker colour, but close enough for a bit of colour chart action. Dulux give references for Dulux colours, (it's 08GY36175), but also compared it with the German RAL chart (RAL6201). Surprisingly, almost the same colour as the Squanderbug. 

Whilst the paint has most likely faded with time, the Dulux gives a good impression of a scale green, whilst Humbrol Matt 78, from the Airfix instructions, is very dark by comparison. .Just a pity it doesn't give a very smooth finish on plastic.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Humbrol Matt 78 is the dark splodge, Dulux to the left of it.

• Like 2

May I suggest that you try brushing out a Swatch of Humbrol No.120 Matt Light Green and comparing that with your artefact?

To my eye Humbrol No.120 is a good match to the fascimile standard for Grey Green that is rendered in 'British Aviation Colours of WW2'. I have checked my copy of the fascimile colour against three separate original wartime MAP colour standard booklets and consider the British Aviation Colours rendition of Grey Green to be accurate. 

Can you tell me whether the Grey Green colour on the artefact has a gloss or matt finish please?