BMW HP4 RACE - MENG - 1/9

bosscat

Hello everyone,

as usual, I'm working on the assembly of a brand new type of model... After my Alfa Monza, here I am to start assembling a motorcycle and this on a fairly large scale!! This model will be for a friend, motorcycle enthusiast, I gave him for his 50th birthday. I'll start the building at the same time as I finish my alfa Italeri.

1. PRESENTATION

It is therefore the BMW HP4 Race from Meng at 1/9. Mounted, it will be about 24cm long. Being a sports bike, it is quite compact, hence its relatively short length. Meng produces this model in 2 versions (I don't know if they are both still released). A classic version to glue and paint and another more expensive version with everything prepainted and to be assembled without glue. Clicking and assembly by screws. We find the same things in the classic model, Meng was not going to make different molds. However, the classic model will be managed in the usual way with glue and especially the treatment of assembly lines and sanded molding etc which is not the case of the pre-painted kit.

Casting quality and overall engineering and detailing are top notch. The screw seem to be made invisible as the assembly progresses, to be confirmed later.

First of all, I should be fine. I have already ridden a Merkava from MENG, I had no problem. Like my Alfa, and unlike the AFVs ones, I will have to create sub-assemblies and paint them before moving on to certain steps. The only things that are going to be a little tight are going to be quite different. Since the frame/fairing/rims are carbon fiber on the real thing, Meng provided a myriad of carbon look decals to cover it all up. Given the tortuous shapes of these parts, everything is segmented into multiple decals. The installation of these promises to be delicate and long-term in order to have a good rendering. We'll see. The second thing I will have to study is the painting of the whole exhaust line. It is an Akrapovic line with all titanium tubing with carbon silencer. It's the titanium part that will be stretched, I have to take a closer look at what it looks like.

MNGMT-004__25084.1656423761.jpg?c=1

To improve the beast, Meng offers an upgrade for the fork. The latter consists of machined and anodized aluminum sheaths like the real ones. There are also the slightly yellow chrome axles. So, just to assemble.

46397_rd.jpg

2. HISTORICAL

Copyright: Motoplanet translated with google translate

The presentation of the HP4 Race prototype at the EICMA 2016 show had our mouths watering and our backbones in tension. BMW had warned that this concept would quickly lead to series production. The realization of a rather surreal, spooky and unreasonable sportswoman. And here it is. Equipped with state-of-the-art technology, a boosted engine and a sick chassis, the BMW HP4 Race narrows the boundary between a production motorcycle and a Superbike machine to a tiny degree – like the BMW HP4 Race. Ducati 1299 Superleggera or some prepared trackers (Aprilia RSV4-FW, etc...)

Technical solutions dedicated to maximum performance on the circuit have always characterized the factory racing bikes perfected in the smallest detail and handpicked. The HP4 RACE presented by BMW is a thoroughbred racing motorcycle that will be built in a limited edition of 750 units. Its manufacture has been entrusted to a small, highly specialized team, which guarantees the highest level of quality.
In terms of mechanical assembly, electronics and suspension elements, the HP4 RACE is no match for the factory bikes currently lined up in Superbike; as for the cycle part with its carbon frame, it is even a notch above. Weighing 171 kilograms in running order and fully fueled, the HP4 RACE even outperforms the current factory bikes competing in the Superbike World Championship and barely exceeds the weight of the official bikes entered in MotoGP.

By launching the HP4 RACE, BMW is allowing itself the industrial production in small series of a 100 percent carbon main frame weighing only 7.8 kilograms and thus making this promising technology accessible to as many people as possible.
Both the front and rear rims are made from the same high-tech material which provides around 30 percent lighter weight compared to forged light alloy rims in the presence of a targeted stiffness design.

The HP4 RACE also meets the ambition of the highest level of racing technology in terms of suspension components and brakes. The FGR 300 type inverted fork and the TTX 36 GP type spring/shock absorber combination are both supplied by the Swedish equipment manufacturer Öhlins and are implemented in a strictly identical form in the Superbike World Championship as well as in MotoGP. Another component that matches what is used in the Superbike World Championship is the lightweight alloy lower braced swingarm made of milled parts and sheet metal parts.
The braking system of the HP4 RACE includes two monobloc Brembo brake calipers of the GP4 PR type, components which are also rather the prerogative of motorcycles aligned in the world championship. Titanium pistons and one-piece aluminum calipers with nickel-plated surface represent the best combination of materials currently available in this field. Combined with T-Type-Racing steel brake discs, 320 millimeters in diameter and 6.75 millimeters thick, the system offers exceptional braking performance.

The HP4 RACE benefits from a thoroughbred racing engine resembling the 6.2 and 7.2 specifications, as in the World Endurance and Superbike Championship. Peak power is 158 kW (215 hp) at 13,900 rpm. The maximum torque of 120 Newton meters is reached at 10,000 rpm. The maximum speed has been increased to 14,500 rpm compared to 14,200 rpm on the engine of the S 1000 RR. Aiming for maximum performance, the bike uses a six-speed "close ratio" type gearbox distinguished by an optimized gear ratio and various secondary transmissions (delivery with several sprockets and chain rings).

The HP4 RACE benefits from a thoroughbred racing engine resembling the 6.2 and 7.2 specifications, as in the World Endurance and Superbike Championship. Peak power is 158 kW (215 hp) at 13,900 rpm. The maximum torque of 120 Newton meters is reached at 10,000 rpm. The maximum speed has been increased to 14,500 rpm compared to 14,200 rpm on the engine of the S 1000 RR. Aiming for maximum performance, the bike uses a six-speed "close ratio" type gearbox distinguished by an optimized gear ratio and various secondary transmissions (delivery with several sprockets and chain rings).

The BMW HP4 RACE is equipped with a complete package of electronic control and assistance systems as well as a weight-optimized electrical on-board network, developed to meet the demands of racing. The 2D dashboard with extractable data memory and 2D data logger) provides a wealth of information.

Acoustically perceptible, ignition-cut-managed DTC Dynamic Traction Control, EBR engine braking and rollover protection provide ample scope for adapting to different circuits and track conditions. They can be programmed for each gear, according to the rider's wishes, and make it possible to optimally exploit the enormous dynamic potential of the new HP4 RACE. Other electronic elements: the Pit lane limiter which monitors compliance with the speed limit in the pit lane and the Launch Control which ensures perfect race starts.

The carbon fairing, airbox cover and seat cowl of the HP4 RACE feature the BMW HP Motorsport colors. A hand-brushed aluminum tank, then coated with clear varnish, underlines the top-of-the-range racing look.

- Carbon monocoque main frame weighing only 7.8 kilograms on the scale.
- Rear part of the self-supporting type carbon frame, adjustable in three heights.
- Weight reduced carbon rims by approximately 30 percent compared to forged light alloy rims.
- Öhlins inverted fork type FGR 300.
- Combined spring/shock Öhlins type TTX 36 GP.
- Brembo monobloc brake calipers type GP4 PR combined with T-Type-Racing steel brake discs with a diameter of 320 millimeters (thickness: 6.75 mm) at the front.
- Racing engine at the level of World Championship engines delivering 158 kW (215 hp) at 13,900 rpm and a maximum torque of 120 Newton meters at 10,000rpm.
- "Close ratio" racing gearbox with adapted gear ratios.
- Weight-optimized electrical system with a lightweight 5 Ah lithium-ion battery.
- 2D dashboard and 2D data acquisition system including data logger.
- DTC dynamic traction control (programmable on 15 levels, ratio by ratio).
- EBR engine brake (programmable on 15 levels, ratio by ratio).
- Anti-wheeling protection (programmable ratio by ratio).
- Launch Control (automated start function).
- Pit lane limiter (speed limitation in the pit lane).
- Lightweight carbon fairing elements with quick releases.
- BMW HP Motorsport colors.
- Manufactured production of 750 units.

Finally, this motorcycle is neither intended for the road nor for competition. Just for the track and collectors. As for the competition, it does not fulfill all the elements of the Superbike regulations. For the road, no lights or headlights, no turn signals or mirrors etc... This type of motorcycle is a bit like the Bugatti type supercars, but on 2 wheels! To make this motorcycle, BMW relied on the S1000 RR Superbike model and upgraded it! Here is a link for the most interested which explains a bit all this and the differences with competition bikes. For information, an HP4 is worth around €80,000. Sorry for the link, it's in french from a canadian site.

https://motoplus.ca/essais/2019/10/bmw-hp4-races1000rr-sbk/

There you go, I can't wait!!

• Like 6

hello to all at the beginning of the week,

nothing special concerning the assembly and the quality of the parts as said before. There is just the molding line to make disappear. Interestingly, since this kit comes in a glueless build, Meng molded it in ABS instead of the usual polystyrene. It works a little near the same and the classic tamiya glue green cap also works. A lot of assembly is done the same way as the kit without glue, with very sturdy tenons. As a result, the glue is often superfluous even if I prefer to put some if only to have a nice joint and not one gap, however small. So I prepared a lot of parts in order to prime them and paint them. I put it all on picks and off we went to get everything ready.

img20285.jpg

It's quite long because I haven't done any and above all, the pieces are big given the scale. Depending on the parts, I primed with black Mr hobby 1500 for the non-metallic parts and specific black alcad/MIG primer for the metal parts. Regarding the non-metallic parts, it is necessary to make black for a lot of them because they will be covered with carbon decals like the frame below.

img20284.jpg

I'm going to have fun putting decals on these tortuous shapes!!! Gonna need some softener!

For the metal parts, I will use mostly Xtrem metal paints, the parts are very detailed like the engine block below. You will notice the smoother and satin finish of the alcad/MIG primer compared to the Mr hobby.

img20283.jpg

Next episode soon!!

• Like 3

Next step, painting!!

Here are the metallic colors used for the parts that I prepared to which must be added MRP black for the black plastics and casings.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I even mixed titanium gold with aluminum to render the slightly yellow Cerakote treatment that can be seen in the photo below.

spacer.png

I then lingered on the transmission that I painted in steel. To give an interesting contrast, I painted the chain link pins with brass color. To give the illusion of slightly used grease that darkens the color of the chain and thus gives even more contrast, I first masked the crown with putty masking, quick and effective.

spacer.png

Then, we apply a light layer of smoke tamiya. We see the difference with the steel of the crown.

spacer.png

Finally, we put a wash on all this to finalize and reinforce the volumes.

spacer.png

I will have to dirty the teeth of the spur gear, it's too new there and it's illogical with aspect of the chain.

that's all for today!

• Like 4

Now assembly of the engine/gearbox and the first peripherals. Everything fits together seamlessly. I've paint he screw heads, it brings a little extra contrast with the different metals and plastic of the air box. I spent a black wash on everything but not too much because we are on a large scale, it is less useful than at 1/35 and above all it is civil road, not a Paris Dakar bike! Here, the wash serves more to bring contrast and to reinforce the metallic aspect of the painting rather than to simulate shadows. I also painted the oil level with Tamiya clear orange and I applied gloss varnish in several coats to simulate the glass.

It gives this in the end:

img20293.jpg

img20292.jpg

img20294.jpg

It remains to put some decals and I could also complete with the radiators, hoses etc...

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I started assembling the subsets, starting with the rear axle with the swingarm and the shock absorber. A maximum of paints to use. I was able to fully mount the rear shock, only the öhlins decal remains.

img20110.jpg

Everything fits together really well, for the radiators I made a black wash to reinforce the embossing.

img20109.jpg

I have to wait to assemble everything else to be able to put it in front of the engine.

Nothing special on the swingarm, I 've painted  the small details with a brush.

img20113.jpg

I also painted the front disc supports as well as the fork parts. I'm going to have to detail all this a bit in terms of painting. Everything is very detailed and very fine.

img20112.jpg

img20111.jpg

I'm going to attack the decals of the rims.... Nervous breakdown in anticipation and softener to use!

img20114.jpg

• Like 9

Purchased the pre painted one, same price so thought it would save some pain 🤣. A lot of the engine parts etc will need repainting/washes added etc, but the carbon effect parts are outstanding as is in the kit

The panels are ok but will need a clear coat to bring out more depth in the finish.

Edit Ammos decal set/softener I have just got is having a brilliant result on some Tamiya decals I'm applying now, so may work on Mengs normally quite thick decals. But best test before you commit as I wouldn't like to get it anywhere near Cartograf ones.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

II should have bought this pre painted model too just for the decals. I never use big decals like that, it's not easy to deal. I use VMS softener for them, very good. You must be careful but I made some mistake. We'll see at the end.

Edited by bosscat
  • Like 2

bosscat, 

What a gorgeous  motorcycle  you have chosen to build.

:wub:    :heart:

Your work is neat and looks fantastic so far.

Look forward  to seeing it come alive on these pages.

:goodjob:

:clap:

And Cmatthewba,

Thanks for the video... Good to see the awesome racer ...

Edited by HOUSTON
spelling errors.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here I am again, I made good progress but I didn't take the time to come here!

We're going to make the discs now that we've started the rims!

The discs are photoetched on this kit!

etch-parts-L.jpg

I don't know what metal Meng used but impossible to cut with a scalpel. I took out the mini drill with a cutting disc. In addition, the sheet must be 0.5mm. The advantage is that it is metallic, the traces of friction of the pads (is it the good word?) will be easy to reproduce. I made myself a small plastic card turntable that I put in the tool holder of my mini drill instead of a cutting disc. I glued small pieces of double-sided tape to it and I glued the discs without pressing too much.

img20115.jpg

Then I took a file and rubbed it gently over the peripheral surface of the disks. The metal being a little hard, we manage to have a result easily because it can be measured. In the end, it gives this:

img20117.jpg

The result is I find quite realistic. We therefore mount the discs as well as the disc for the abs at the front on the hubs, everything fits beautifully:

img20116.jpg

img20118.jpg

I added a dot of cyano to secure the shot and that's it. We can assemble the swingarm, the rim and the rear shock and put the disc on the rim. You will notice that I finished the rear wheel decals.

img20120.jpg

img20119.jpg

Meng forgot to put the ABS cable on, so I added that and put on the Brembo decal. On the other hand, the brake hoses are provided.

img20121.jpg

Finally, I mounted the huge front discs while waiting to do the fork. You can't see much of the rim spokes anymore.

img20122.jpg

It's over for today!

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

today, make way for the exhaust line!

Nothing too special here. After a rough assembly to see how everything fit together on the engine, I find myself with the complete line.

20230210.jpg

Surprisingly, Meng forgot to put in the kit the fixing spring between the line and the silencer. I find that it is normal not to have put the others because hidden  but this one is visible as you can see on the real bike:

c55b7910.jpg

So I made a spring out of it using very fine brass wire. I then surrounded a small drill and made the 2 fasteners. It gives that:

img20123.jpg

img20124.jpg

I also made the 2 ties with this same wire that I glued with CA.

img20125.jpg

After priming and painting the muffler, I was able to apply the carbon decals, it's quite a long time as usual with this kind of shape.

20230211.jpg

Finally, I made the line itself. Shiny black primer and polished aluminum Xtrem metal. After, some heat effects with titanium gold and clear blue tamiya to finish. I had to mask with thin strips of tape for the welds.

I didn't take a picture of the final assembly of the line, I'll show it in place on the bike.

20230212.jpg

20230214.jpg

20230213.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Again, a lot of work on the decals that dress up a model in an unusual way! As all body parts are made of carbon fiber, BMW has left it visible in many places. Ditto for structural parts like the frame.

It is made up of 2 pieces. Pieces with very complicated shapes and many twisted faces. It's long enough to do and we go there with a lot of softener.

We have arrived at the following result:

20230216.jpg

You will notice that the carbon pattern is different depending on the nature of the parts. The frame has a finer fiber than the body parts, here the end that holds the saddle.

Next, lower fairing. Here, we have 2 layers of decals. First, the carbon wrap with large size decals and second, the logos.

20230217.jpg

20230215.jpg

We continue the same work with smaller parts, the air inlet placed under the bubble:

20230218.jpg

And the dashboard which boils down to a small LCD screen:

20230219.jpg

It's progressing slowly but surely!!

• Like 4