Handley Page HP 42 airframe surfaces

rob Lyttle

I finally overcame my fearful trepidation and got an Airfix Vintage Classics edition of this madcap blast from the past. 

I've found much helpful information on here - colours of Imperial Airlines, blue versus black, etc And none of it so easy as it is derived from interpretation of black and white photos, memoirs and press coverage. 

Am I right in thinking that nothing of these airframes survives for posterity (ie, us)?? 

My enquiry is about the structure, the materials and the finish of the plane, for it's clearly a multimedia assemblage of many parts. 

Here's my first take on it, what I can see in the pictures.... 

The fuselage is for the main part corrugated metal - I'll say aluminium - very much in the Junkers style, and flat metal along the window lines. This area looks shiny like bare metal. Is all the corrugated area bare metal too? 

The cockpit area is shiny metal, and a band around the fuselage aft of the passenger door often looks shiny bare metal. But to the rear of this feature the structure changes. Are we now looking at doped linen fabric? 

Wings and tailplanes I'm taking to be fabric over ribs and frameworks, all silver painted /doped, but obvs I stand to be corrected on any of my estimations. 

Main struts often appear shiny, and engine nacelles would be metal. 

I even found an enquiry relating to the props, whether they be hardwood or metal fabrication. 

Has the lowdown on these stately old airliners already been dealt with on here?, because if it has, I can't find it. 

There again that's no surprise - I just spent over an hour trying to find one of my OWN previous topics in the WIP section 🤭😋

I'd be glad to read the BM thinking on the appearance of these old girls 👍

On 1/26/2023 at 8:42 PM, rob Lyttle said:

Aha...! Thanks for that. 

It's a Moa project, so that'll do for me ‼️😎

I did try, honest. 😋Maybe I didn't put full stops between the H and the P or some such triviality 

Anyway, cheers @Pin👍

The best way to search BM is to use Google and include Britmodeller as a search term with the topic you want to find

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1