Hi all

Been working on this one as part of the PRRRS GB, I just about snuck this over the line before the extended deadline.

A big thanks to @Col. @CorsairfoxfouruncleaCorsairfoxfouruncleand @Enzo the Magnificentfor hosting etc and those who offered support and encouragement along the way.

Hope you don't mind me posting here.

This is the 32nd scale Williams Brothers kit and I enjoyed this one. The cockpit had various scratch built additions and extras , the IP was smoothed off and airscale gauges were used along with Reheat bezels with some plasticard switches along with the foot boards, stbd switch panel and a spares box PE Throttle box.  Seatbelts are wine bottle foil with fuse wire buckles and Reheat PE extenders.

Lift off canopy section cut out and detailed on inside with plasticard strip and wire.

Engine was modified with brass pushrod, leadwire ignition leads and balance pipes added.

The model was brushpainted with Humbrol enamels and even though it has yellow plastic still took 5 or 6 coats.  The wing scallops were painted with home made masking tape masks cut from a tracing of the wing pattern taken from the instructions.   The scallops on the fuselage and wheel spats were painted free hand with the straight sections masked.

The decals were a bit temperamental and broke up a bit and some I could not save, but hey ho.

The rigging used is Prym Knitting in Elastic  and the brake lines or cables and cowling cables were Invisible thread and made taught with a hot soldering iron.

Weathered with oils and humbrol weathering powders.

Weathered to look like it's just finished a race and after the press photographers and pilot have wandered off!!!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I have a few more Williams Bothers racers in the stash and look forward to tackling those. 

Thanks for looking in

Chris

• Like 45

Fantastic work Chris! Brush painted gloss yellow... you must've been feeling particularly masochistic. Astonishing that it's still so sharp after 6 coats of paint. All that extra detail really pops at the scale, looks like it was well worth the effort! Great job.

Andy

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Absolute stunner Chris, really beautiful model! And knowing how difficult yellow is to airbrush, then brushpainting it so well is just brilliant! Really like your weathering too!

I’m just going to quote Keith, Chris because what he says goes for me too.  And the finish on the black is just superb.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Absolute stunner Chris, really beautiful model! And knowing how difficult yellow is to airbrush, then brushpainting it so well is just brilliant! Really like your weathering too!

Top job!

Keith

Thanks Keith, very kind fella, it did baffle me thinking I would get away with only a couple of coats as ot was yellow plastic, but was not to be🙄, still very pleased with the result.

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Definitely a great build considering you started with the Williams brothers kit. Not bad for its day but lacking in fine detail. 

Thamks Dennis, I have to say I like their kits, a good basis to add some details too, the Ford Flivver was a great little kit and it's great that they provided these gems.

3 hours ago, Ngantek said:

Fantastic work Chris! Brush painted gloss yellow... you must've been feeling particularly masochistic. Astonishing that it's still so sharp after 6 coats of paint. All that extra detail really pops at the scale, looks like it was well worth the effort! Great job.

Andy

Thanks Andy, the yellow is not as bad as you think to paint and I always find the paint process very therapeutic.   Each coat is thinned a bit and it levels out .  I thought I wouldn't need that many though!!! I have a 32nd yellow and black Lysander planned at some point.

3 hours ago, Fritag said:

I’m just going to quote Keith, Chris because what he says goes for me too.  And the finish on the black is just superb.

Thanks Steve, I used Humbrol 85csatin black and it painted on beautifully with only a minute amount of thinners, very satisfying to paint.

1 hour ago, Darwinism said:

Wow, terrific work - I love the exhaust and oil staining.

Thanks D, I watched some you tube clips of the races and the Gee Bee R1 came in to land and taxis close to the camera and the sooty staining from the exhausts is very pronounced, so just had to be copied.

47 minutes ago, Pantherhawk27263 said:

Incredible job on one of the most unique looking aircraft ever made. It's fantastic. 

Thanks P, it certainly is an unusual looking machine, I knew of the R1 but had never seen tge Z until I watched the Rocketeer years ago and thought I have to model one.  I have the R1 in the stash too, the Z looks prettier in my opinion.

Thanks guys for your generous comments.

Chris

34 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Thamks Dennis, I have to say I like their kits, a good basis to add some details too, the Ford Flivver was a great little kit and it's great that they provided these gems.

Oh I do too Ive built a few, my comment is they are sparse compared to some more modern tooled aircraft. However they are sometimes the only game in town. 

• Like 1

Hi Chris,

It's always refreshing to see something colourful. You can feel the power that these planes have. Very well done! Your photos are also great. I am always amazed at how well you manage to paint with a brush. Hats off, sir!

All the best 
Andy 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, shortCummins said:

excellent result there Chris, she's a stunner 👍

rgds

John(shortCummins)

Thanks John pleased with how this one turned out.

4 hours ago, Andy Dyck said:

Hi Chris,

It's always refreshing to see something colourful. You can feel the power that these planes have. Very well done! Your photos are also great. I am always amazed at how well you manage to paint with a brush. Hats off, sir!

All the best 
Andy 

Thanks Andy, yes crikey it's all engine really, it must have been a beast.  I always love the painting stage, it is always a nice challenge to try and achieve a finish somewhere near to what those of you do with your airbrushes, I may get their one day.

Thanks guys for your kind comments

Chris

Absolutely brilliant Chris. I love everything about it. From the cockpit detailing and wonderful paint job to the little scratches and chips on the cowling it all looks thoroughly convincing. 

Richie

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, invidia said:

Looks fantastic, cockpit looks great.

Thanks Invidia, pleased with the cockpit details.   The basics are there with the kit and it just needed improving.

3 hours ago, Toryu said:

That's a superb little model, very nicely crafted! I love the stubby appearance with that bright colour. Thanks!

Thanks Toryu, it's so small but such a great looking machine, the scheme is a cracking scheme I was put off building for ages due to wondering how I could paint the scallops but all turned out well in the end.

2 hours ago, RichieW said:

Absolutely brilliant Chris. I love everything about it. From the cockpit detailing and wonderful paint job to the little scratches and chips on the cowling it all looks thoroughly convincing. 

Richie

Thanks Richie, very kind. It was a labour of love this one, such a characterful machine and the scheme  too.  The extra details just had to be added.

I did the chips with a small brush as the pencils don't show on the gloss finish.

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 1

Chris,

Superb work - I love the subtle weathering over that lovely crisp paint work. Wonderful model of this powerful little beast!

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

That is just jaw-droppingly gorgeous Chris.

Phenomenal paintwork.

Just Wow.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair,  very kind, pleased with how this one turned out, surprised how many coats of yellow it took as it was yellow plastic🙄

47 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Chris,

Superb work - I love the subtle weathering over that lovely crisp paint work. Wonderful model of this powerful little beast!

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger, I could have got away with clean paintwork for this one too, but do like a bit of weathering,  it's a real little beastie with all that engine up front. 

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dave Klaatu said:

That's great work, it's beautiful!

I have a 1/72 one in my stash, whenever I get around to it..

Thanks Dave, wow a 72nd scale kit, that's going to be very small.  Good luck with your build.

4 hours ago, UberDaveToo said:

That's one bitchin' build there, Chris!

Thanks Dave, well chuffed with how it turned out.

1 hour ago, Vesa Jussila said:

Beautiful work. I have always liked this plane and these racing planes. I have some of these waiting in my stash. Really good work with this.

Thanks VJ, yes the racing aircraft are fantastic and colourful machines, got a few more in the stash too. I do like the Williams Brothers kits which provide a great basis for extra details.   There is something about their box arts and layouts and their instructions too, I just find them fascinating. 

Thanks guys for your kind comments

Chris

• Like 1