Nuremberg 2023

Denford

Only a week to go now, and most of the 'major players' in the modelling world have announced their new releases, even if Tamiya won't say what it actually is.

However a recent, unguarded remark suggested that somebody will be progressively releasing the full range of Corsairs.  The response to my enquiry for details of scale and that it was the F4U range got a very frosty look.

I've been through, from A to Z, all manufacturers I can think of, without being sure who it might be......

Maybe Academy and Italeri the only big players left to show their hand in terms of a release schedule?

Trumpeter/HobbyBoss catalogues are floating around but don't seem to have been publicised yet.

The likes of Eduard just seem to do things in a different way across the year.

56 minutes ago, AntPhillips said:

It's Chinese New Year Holiday at the moment, traditionally we get the Trumpy / Hobby Boss catalogues just after.

Exactly. They well return to work in 10 days so after a couple of weeks we'll be wiser.

Cheers,

AaCee

Traditionally, for at least a few years before COVID in memory, it always used to be in early December that pictures of their catalogue surfaced. I did see a post on here the other day regarding a picture of the Queen Elizabeth carrier in their catalogue (which wasn't in last years paper one), so it must be out there in some guise already.

• Like 1

Don't want to sound like a pessimist, but I don't expect much. Rather new incarnations of already released models and news already announced. But I might be wrong.

Of course, I have my wishes, bu I don't think Tamiya will announce 1/72 Lightning P-38 or a new tool Spitfire Mk.I.

• Like 1

We can hope:

1) Trumpeter/HobbyBoss starts to announce some of the Ex_KittyHawk 32 scale line in their catalogues

2) Italeri confirms the AMX and Macchi 202 announced the last year ... and those are just enough for the italian firm, not so rich of new items in the last decade.

About a family of ... the firms used to realised subject in  its family-evolution are at the moment: Eduard , ArmaHobby, Trumpter/hobbyboss, and I want do add to this group also IBG. 

IBG has ultimated the Dora Family in 72 scale, it could be the time to a new family announce. A Corsair seems to me a bit distant from IBG area of interest, anyway business is business.

ArmaHobby has a new 72 secret item for the 2023 ( not the P51D or evolution of the last Hurricane or Wildcat subjects), it's a firm attracted by US NAVY subjects ... a Corsair family would be great

Eduard seems to have other plans for the next years, anyway a surprise for this firm is always welcome  

Trump/HB is just realising the Corsair Family ( in 48 scale), so ... are they starting with new tools of the latest versions? Or convert the family in 72 scale? I doubt. Anyway I cant' consider a Corsair family form these firms as a real news.

I'm forgetting Special Hobby. Do they confirm the Mosquito and A1E Skyraider in 72 scale? Or do they present direclty something new as it was in the past for the He 162? Or this Corsair Family will arrive from them?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GioCare said:

We can hope:

1) Trumpeter/HobbyBoss starts to announce some of the Ex_KittyHawk 32 scale line in their catalogue (..)

Nope. Looks like the Kitty Hawk catalogue is to be reissued by a newcomer : Storm Factory.

Who's behind this new brand name? No idea.

Could be Yatai Electric Appliances Co, Ltd. the owner from Trumpeter, HobbyBoss and I Love Kit. But we do not have any reliable information of any kind on this yet.

SF.jpg

The ex-KH 1/32nd Northrop F-5 Tiger II kits are already announced for release by Storm Factory in March 2023. 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235119381-132-f-5en-and-f-5f-by-storm-factory/

By the way Trumpeter, HobbyBoss & I Love Kit are closed until February 1st, 2023 for the Chinese Spring  Festival holidays: 

ILK.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, DominikS said:

Don't want to sound like a pessimist, but I don't expect much. Rather new incarnations of already released models and news already announced. But I might be wrong.

Of course, I have my wishes, but I don't think Tamiya will announce 1/72 Lightning P-38 or a new tool Spitfire Mk.I.

Yes, both of those would be very much appreciated. Fortunately for me, as far as Tamiya is concerned, there's always a new creepy-crawly thing in 1/35 that appeals, like this year's obscure Jagdpanzer IV variant.   

I don't really know why the sentiment for catalogues is so strong when the model market has changed a lot in recent years.

What's the point of a model being announced in a catalogue if it's not released for years? Here is a small sample of Trumpeter in 1/72:

• 01640 - Grumman A-6A/E Intruder → announced in 2008
  • 01641 - Grumman A-6E Intruder → announced in 2017
  • 01642 - Grumman A-6E TRAM Intruder → announced in 2017
  • 01643 - Grumman EA-6 Prowler → announced in 2017
  • 01647 - Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-19PM "Farmer-E" → announced in 2008

The MiG-19 has been on my wish list for several years. It will end up being released by ClearProp sooner than Trumpeter. And that will be a very good thing, as the subject has been blocked for over a decade.

I once posted Italeri's unrealised announcements in another thread, there are even more of them than Trumpeter ones. What's more, quite a few of them are old ESCI models, so they've been ready for a long time. But yes, they were all in the catalogue. Sometimes for a few years in a row.

The times when every company published a catalogue with a full list of announcements is a thing of the past. The reality of the third decade of the 21st century is different.

• Some companies have stopped publishing catalogues even in PDF form and do not announce their plans at all. We find out about a kit when it is basically ready and marketing activities begin.
  • Some inform about the plans, but in a very unspecific way, describing basically only what they have ready anyway: "We'll release this item for sure, maybe we'll release something else too. Here we have some plans, but we don't know what they are ourselves, and somewhere in there we may have something new, but we won't say more anyway".
  • Some of those that publish catalogues do not include announcements of really new products, only modifications of existing sets or boxes with new markings are announced. They consistently do not publish information about what they are really working on.
  • A small number of them publish catalogues with announcements and these announcements are actually realised more or less 100%.

If this surprises anyone, I remind that the competition is not sleeping. Chinese workshops making moulds offer to complete an order within 3-4 months of supplying a finished CAD design. Companies copying existing models in resin moulds can make a short-run model in even less time, including box, manual and decals.

• Like 3

TAMIYA at Nuremberg Toy Fair 2023.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/TamiyaUSA/photos/a.10151130758787874/10159230006762874/

Tamiya USA

The Nuremberg Toy Fair starts on February 1 and, on that day, we will be unveiling some ALL-NEW super cool products!

If you've been following along, we're sure you've heard the wild rumors about what's coming out. We're super excited to let you in on the news but, alas, you're just going to have to wait.It. Will. Be. Worth. It.

Stay tuned.

326078804-735612048093448-47268548216153

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

2 hours ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

I don't really know why the sentiment for catalogues is so strong when the model market has changed a lot in recent years.

What's the point of a model being announced in a catalogue if it's not released for years? Here is a small sample of Trumpeter in 1/72:

• 01640 - Grumman A-6A/E Intruder → announced in 2008
  • 01641 - Grumman A-6E Intruder → announced in 2017
  • 01642 - Grumman A-6E TRAM Intruder → announced in 2017
  • 01643 - Grumman EA-6 Prowler → announced in 2017
  • 01647 - Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-19PM "Farmer-E" → announced in 2008

The MiG-19 has been on my wish list for several years. It will end up being released by ClearProp sooner than Trumpeter. And that will be a very good thing, as the subject has been blocked for over a decade.

I once posted Italeri's unrealised announcements in another thread, there are even more of them than Trumpeter ones. What's more, quite a few of them are old ESCI models, so they've been ready for a long time. But yes, they were all in the catalogue. Sometimes for a few years in a row.

The times when every company published a catalogue with a full list of announcements is a thing of the past. The reality of the third decade of the 21st century is different.

• Some companies have stopped publishing catalogues even in PDF form and do not announce their plans at all. We find out about a kit when it is basically ready and marketing activities begin.
  • Some inform about the plans, but in a very unspecific way, describing basically only what they have ready anyway: "We'll release this item for sure, maybe we'll release something else too. Here we have some plans, but we don't know what they are ourselves, and somewhere in there we may have something new, but we won't say more anyway".
  • Some of those that publish catalogues do not include announcements of really new products, only modifications of existing sets or boxes with new markings are announced. They consistently do not publish information about what they are really working on.
  • A small number of them publish catalogues with announcements and these announcements are actually realised more or less 100%.

If this surprises anyone, I remind that the competition is not sleeping. Chinese workshops making moulds offer to complete an order within 3-4 months of supplying a finished CAD design. Companies copying existing models in resin moulds can make a short-run model in even less time, including box, manual and decals.

Yes, that is the story...

Companies have noticed that they sometimes have problems bringing items to market for various reasons, and therefore have stopped announcing the models ahead of time so they do not have to withdraw past announcements.

Mind you, that can backfire. Hasegawa spent a lot on making a 1/20 Lotus 79 car, only for Tamiya to release the same model at the same time.

Hasegawa has not released a single F1 car since. Which is a shame as their line of Ferrari 312T and 312T2 cars were superb.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SprueMan said:

Mind you, that can backfire. Hasegawa spent a lot on making a 1/20 Lotus 79 car, only for Tamiya to release the same model at the same time.

Such risks always exist. The record was set in 2011 when Amusing Hobby, Dragon and Trumpeter released the rather niche German tank Neubaufahrzeug in 1/35 scale.

7 hours ago, SprueMan said:

Hasegawa has not released a single F1 car since. Which is a shame as their line of Ferrari 312T and 312T2 cars were superb.

In this case, the lack of new releases may be related to the licence to use the logo / name / anything related to F1.

11 hours ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

In this case, the lack of new releases may be related to the licence to use the logo / name / anything related to F1.

Of course, but the loss of sales that came with Tamiya releasing the same model at the exact same time probably did not help in any upcoming negotiations.

Especially as reviewers (as always) swooned over the Tamiya kit, but neglected the Hasegawa kit.

5 minutes ago, SprueMan said:

Of course, but the loss of sales that came with Tamiya releasing the same model at the exact same time probably did not help in any upcoming negotiations.

If manufacturers are bound by any F1 licences (and I presume they are), they must have them before releasing a model. Whether the licences are exclusive, or whether Hasegawa simply didn't renew them / didn't want to invest - I have no idea.

5 minutes ago, SprueMan said:

Especially as reviewers (as always) swooned over the Tamiya kit, but neglected the Hasegawa kit.

Model reviews have no impact on the modelling market. They have at most a very limited impact on the niche of this market that is modellers on forums or newsgroups. This influence is not huge, because in such communities everyone knows that if X. hates company Y., his opinion is not taken into account.

Italeri Preview 2023 is online - Source:  https://www.italeri.com/en/article/816

Downloadable here: https://www.italeri.com/uploads/news/3E8SwHPWIALErYw2OPS4do00rqm0jsoh6yUiZWND.pdf

327590490-891217008883455-44159230249791

Italeri 2023 Britmodeller- Rumourmonger dedicated thread is here:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235120542-italeri-2023-catalogue-novelties-reissues-etc/

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1