World War 1 submarine kits - what's available?

2996 Victor

Dear All,

following my recent newbie request for similar info on the WWII forum, I'd be interested to know what's available for the Great War period. I'm thinking 1/350 for reasons of space.

I've been pointed toward MikroMir and OKB Grigorov, which have some lovely-looking Royal Navy submarine kits. Are there any kits available for the Imperial German Navy U-Boats in 1/350? Other scales? And what about the other combatant nations? I know for instance that the Austro-Hungarian Kreigsmarine successfully operated some submarines (Baron von Trapp of Sound of Music fame was an A-H sub captain). What about colours/markings/camouflage?

Any thoughts or suggestions welcomed!

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Hi Mark, Combrig models are your best source for WW1 u-boats in 1/350, they do 1/700 as well. There are a few OOP ones floating around as well by people such as Yankee Modelworks.

Heres a link to Combrig https://combrig-models.com/index.php/products/1350/german-navy-350

All the best Chris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, whitestar12chris said:

Hi Mark, Combrig models are your best source for WW1 u-boats in 1/350, they do 1/700 as well. There are a few OOP ones floating around as well by people such as Yankee Modelworks.

Heres a link to Combrig https://combrig-models.com/index.php/products/1350/german-navy-350

All the best Chris

Many thanks Chris, that's great. I've had a quick look at the Combrig website, very interesting - finding an outlet may be difficult, though! I'll keep looking.....

Cheers,

Mark

Mark,

As you have noted the OKB Grigov B, C and R classes would be good.

I have a kit of Odin (bit later than WW1) by Pit Stop Models from Japan, but I do not know what others they made in 1/350 and I do not know how easy they are to get hold of as mine was a lucky model show find.

Whilst definitely not 1/350, I did see a made up 1/72 U9 by Das Werk at Telford and it did look really good. I believe the kit includes a book about the submarines in the class and has photos of a wrecked one used to confirm some of the details.

I have a Mikro Mir 1/144 Holland submarine and it would be great if they would issue a version in 1/350. I would also like to see an E Class at some point.

Regards

Kevin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Flintstone said:

Mark,

As you have noted the OKB Grigov B, C and R classes would be good.

I have a kit of Odin (bit later than WW1) by Pit Stop Models from Japan, but I do not know what others they made in 1/350 and I do not know how easy they are to get hold of as mine was a lucky model show find.

Whilst definitely not 1/350, I did see a made up 1/72 U9 by Das Werk at Telford and it did look really good. I believe the kit includes a book about the submarines in the class and has photos of a wrecked one used to confirm some of the details.

I have a Mikro Mir 1/144 Holland submarine and it would be great if they would issue a version in 1/350. I would also like to see an E Class at some point.

Regards

Kevin

Thanks, Kevin, that's really helpful! I came across some German U-boat kits yesterday that I think were 1/350 but I may be wrong - I've got a touch of overload brainache now :D but they were minelayers although they looked interesting. When the headache has eased, I'll have to look for them again :) 

I'd spotted the Das Werk kits, but apart from a quick look I didn't delve - they're simply too big but look amazing. It'd be great if they scaled them down.....

All the best,

Mark

14 hours ago, Killingholme said:

It looks fantastic, doesn't it? It's pretty expensive and the finished boat would be longer than my work table! Not sure I'm ready to tackle it just yet ;) particularly as a first sub build :D 

Cheers,

Mark