1:72 Bristol Beaufort Mk.Ia, No.2 Torpedo Training Unit *FINISHED*

Dunny

Thanks Dave - this kit really is the gift that keeps on giving. I think there's a couple more in me yet :clap2:

11 hours ago, mark.au said:

Excellent progress Roger.  Looking forward to the paint.  

Am I to understand that you attempted canopy mask design/cutting on the Silhouette?  I’ve thought about having a go at that but with the price and availability of commercial masks I’ve not been bothered to try it just yet.

You understand correctly - a partial success at best on compound curves. It worked nicely on the Roc but this was a step too far without a 3D model to 'flatten'

10 hours ago, AliGauld said:

This way madness lies. ;)

Please note above comments 🤣

10 hours ago, kev67 said:

Looks a very nice kit, I use the Cameo Silhouette, and find it very useful indeed, especially if you want to create raised panels that have awkward shapes etc, and also window masks such as passenger windows, the complex window frames still require the old method of cutting out with a blade to begin with, to get the shapes correct and then copying them into Illustrator so you can draw around the shapes before sending it to the Cameo cutter software, but this is really only if you are going to do more than one.

Thanks Kev - I think I'll stick to Tamiya tape and a sharp blade (or an aftermarket set for complex glazing)

9 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Nice progress - looking forward to the paint! And good luck with the interviews...

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks very much on both counts Adrian!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi All,

Some strong Beaugress today! :coat: Once I'd done a cleanup on all the seams, the glazing was given a coat of interior grey green:

20230208-100722.jpg

I then laid down a first coat of primer, which of course revealed the usual little bits and pieces to fix:

20230208-132844.jpg

You can see the biggest blooper was a gap at the rear of the landing light glazing, which was filled with Krystal Kleer - no dramas! :banghead:I next pre-shaded the 'white' areas with EDSG:

20230208-140421.jpg

And the EDSG areas with Nato Black:

20230208-141948.jpg

I know it doesn't look much different but the EDSG bleeds through the white much less. With that it was on to mist coats of white. Here's part way through the process:

20230208-142748.jpg

And here we are when the pre-shading was subtle enough to my eye:

20230208-144251.jpg

As ever, the bleaching of the white in the photo does the subtlety of finish no favours. Here's the topside:

20230208-152003.jpg

You can see that I've wrapped the white around the leading edges of the wings and stabilisers in the same manner as the only similar scheme I could find:

Beaufort-Mk-Ia.jpg

I then masked up for the EDSG:

20230208-155200.jpg

After I took the photo I checked the cockpit glazing with the photo, and to my eye it should all be white - I therefore added masking accordingly. Next the EDSG was laid down, along with a MSG-lightened coat. I gave extra attention to the ailerons and elevators to provide a different finish to the fabric-covered components. So here we are after unmasking:

20230208-161807.jpg

I couldn't resist a final shot with the engines posed in place (I also painted them today!):

20230208-162446.jpg

Not displeased with that - nice and crisp! I'll let that all settle down overnight and start on the stencils tomorrow,

Thanks for looking, 

Roger

• Like 15

51 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looking very nice indeed Roger, you should definitely be pleased with your efforts.  

Great work

Chris

Thanks very much Chris - it is a rather fetching scheme, don'tcha think?!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Thanks very much Chris - it is a rather fetching scheme, don'tcha think?!

Cheers,

Roger

No worries fella, yes a lovely scheme although it's one I won't attempt by brush as I think it would need about 7 coats and I think that could send me doolally 🤪 well dolallier then.

Great job

Chris

• Haha 3

I have to say, usually I’m a bit sceptical about applying pre-shading, but that looks absolutely gorgeous now the top colours have been applied. Looking really sharp. I’m more than impressed. Well done. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I have to say, usually I’m a bit sceptical about applying pre-shading, but that looks absolutely gorgeous now the top colours have been applied. Looking really sharp. I’m more than impressed. Well done. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks very much Dave - I've always been of the opinion that 'less is more' with preshading. You do see some ridiculous examples that look like ploughed fields, but it can add texture when used appropriately,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 2

Hi All,

Some strong progress on the Beaufort yesterday and today! Long story short I made a bit of a hash of the fuselage roundels, so ended up using decals from the spares box for the all the national markings so as to colour match. I did manage to spray the codes without incident, so this is where we started today, by cobbling together the serial number from the kit decals. Here's before touch-up:

20230210-111255.jpg

And after:

20230210-113208.jpg

That doesn't look too bad? Next a gloss coat over the decals:

20230210-114652.jpg

Once that had had a semi-decent drying time I applied a Grime Flory was to the white surfaces:

20230210-123323.jpg

And a Black Flory wash to the EDSG areas:

20230210-123536.jpg

Here's the result with the excess wiped away:

20230210-125436.jpg

Pop! I then applied flat coats, which got us to here:

20230210-133308.jpg

I am not displeased with the result! Here's the result after unmasking:

20230210-134159.jpg

20230210-133519.jpg

That's all looking suitably busy! Next I added the porthole windows in with Krystal Kleer:

20230210-134837.jpg

Once the flat coat had settled down I added exhaust staining:

20230210_143122.jpg

I next turned my attention to the torpedo. As this was a training aircraft I assumed that training torpedos would be recovered and re-used, and would therefore be rather beaten up - I therefore scuffed the red nose accordingly. Here's the fish posed in position:

20230210_135744.jpg

And here with all the gubbins added:

20230210_150806.jpg

You can see that I've gone for a natural wood finish to the aerofoil, just for a bit of visual contrast - I didn't bother adding any grain effect, as I figured it would probably be plywood and not really visible in gentleman's scale. Here's a final shot with the undercarriage, doors and propellers in position:

20230210_161507.jpg

I shouldn't be too far off finishing this, although there's the turret and a few more fiddly bits to add - tomorrow, perhaps?!

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 16

Very nice indeed--it looks really sharp and lethal!  You've shown to advantage the quick drying times of lacquer paints and finishes.  When I apply liquid clear to empty window spaces, I try to position the model so that the windows are directly horizontal relative to the ground--that way, the clear will dry slightly convex relative to the surrounding frame.  It doesn't always work, though.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Very nice indeed--it looks really sharp and lethal!  You've shown to advantage the quick drying times of lacquer paints and finishes.  When I apply liquid clear to empty window spaces, I try to position the model so that the windows are directly horizontal relative to the ground--that way, the clear will dry slightly convex relative to the surrounding frame.  It doesn't always work, though.

Thanks TJK! That's a good tip on the windows - noted for future use,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

You've shown to advantage the quick drying times of lacquer paints and finishes

I actually use acqueous acrylics! But they do dry quicker than enamels...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very, very nice.

Not far to go now and she's already splendid.

A quick question if you don't mind,

When you add a colour to your flat coat do you just put a drop or two in the colour cup or do you mix outside the brush.

I'm going to need a dusty, sun bleached finish on the Meteor.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Very, very nice.

Not far to go now and she's already splendid.

A quick question if you don't mind,

When you add a colour to your flat coat do you just put a drop or two in the colour cup or do you mix outside the brush.

I'm going to need a dusty, sun bleached finish on the Meteor.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks very much Alistair. I add colour to the cup - as an example on my Martlet I added two drops of Sky Grey to a full cup of Vallejo matt varnish (thinned 50:50). HTH

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looking fantastic Roger great work all round. I do like your faded matt finishes on your models. This scheme is a spectacular one too.

Chris

Thanks very much Chris - it's a nice scheme which hasn't been much modelled. Just a shame I can't find any photos of LR906 for verification...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Dunny said:

Thanks very much Chris - it's a nice scheme which hasn't been much modelled. Just a shame I can't find any photos of LR906 for verification...

You have this backwards-   the way you painted it is 100% spot on!   

(And no one can prove it isn’t!!!)

Edited by RC Boater Bill
  • Haha 3

• Dunny changed the title to 1:72 Bristol Beaufort Mk.Ia, No.2 Torpedo Training Unit *FINISHED*

Hi All,

Well as predicted there was not a huge amount left to do on the Mk.Ia, so this morning has mainly been assembly of the turret and fiddly bits. I first turned my attention to the DF loop, which is included in the transparent parts but not mentioned in the destructions. As the scheme showed it fitted to this airframe I did a bit of digging to check whether the housing was actually transparent, which turned up this:

440px-Beaufort-IIa.jpg

You can clearly see that the housing is... clear, so I painted the internal surfaces to represent the loop which gave us this:

20230211_102239.jpg

Once that was done it was all over bar the shouting, so without further ado here's a few teaser shots:

20230211_114736.jpg

20230211_114748.jpg

20230211_114809.jpg

I've very much enjoyed this kit (again), and it's been nice to model a subject not often seen. It is a lovely, viceless little kit and I think that I've probably got a couple more variants in me! I shall post some more photos over in RFI. Thanks to all those who have offered kind words and encouragement along the way - it has been much appreciated!

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 15