Eduard 1/48 FW190A-5/U3 - Better be better than last time.....

Davek72

On a trip a few years ago on a trip I visited a LMS and picked this up.

52647069084_2b313699c3_b.jpg

I wasn't actually looking to buy this or indeed any other kit but I kinda feel a modeller is honour bound to buy something when you visit a LMS especially when it is off the beaten track.  Anyway this jumped out at me because I like 190s and like Eduard kits...I also wanted to revisit an Eduard 190 because of a disastrous experience the previous time.   I now know that early Eduard 1/48 190s were slightly over engineered...hence my epic fail.   This appears to be a newer release so I might not make a pigs ear of it!

The eagle eyed amongst you may note that I already have a GB in The Salty Sea Dog GB....well two of my New Years Resolutions were:

1.  Enter as many GBs as possible...NB this doesnt necessarily mean finish them all 😉

2.  To try and streamline the stash by not buying new kits unless I absolutely "have" to 😉

Anyway onto the sprues:

52646299557_cdcf5392b9_b.jpg

52646806711_2bf9b5988d_b.jpg

52646300662_df2ee92892_b.jpg

Thinking of this scheme.   

52647072304_54d871c78b_b.jpg

Fw 190A-5/U3, W.  Nr. 0150 1437, flown by Ofw Johannsen, 7./SchG. 2, Catania, Sicily, July 1943

After capturing Catania and the nearby airport by British XIII. Corps on August 5th, 1943, this aircraft was discovered on the airbase. Two days ago, Ofw. Johannsen had landed it here due to the engine troubles, the following day the airplane was damaged by Allied aircraft attacking the airport. The aircraft operating with the attack units were marked with the letters as opposed to the fighter units which marked their airplanes with numbers. The letter “O” in yellow, indicating 7. Staffel, was accompanied by the yellow color of the vertical stabilizer and rudder indicating I. and II. Gruppe SchG. 2. On the engine cowling the aircraft carried the II./SchG. 2 insignia – Mickey Mouse sitting on the bomb and holding an ax in the hand.

It used the a resin cowling from the kit.  Which is lovely but resin always scares me!

As always all comments welcome.

Dave

• Like 9

51 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Welcome to the build Dave. 

Thanks Looking forwards to it. 

28 minutes ago, franky boy said:

Nice choice Dave. 

Im sure you’ll enjoy the newer tooled Eduard 190’s much more than the older ones. 

James

Thanks James.  It certainly looks slightly more straightforward…..but then we have the resin! 😅

• Like 2

Welcome to the GB nice kit. Good luck with the New Year’s resolutions so far I’ve only broken one but that was three times (it was to stop buying stiff in the internet btw, but once was such a bargain I couldn’t not and the other two were equipment I just couldn’t get locally) 

9 hours ago, Marklo said:

Welcome to the GB nice kit. Good luck with the New Year’s resolutions so far I’ve only broken one but that was three times (it was to stop buying stiff in the internet btw, but once was such a bargain I couldn’t not and the other two were equipment I just couldn’t get locally) 

Cheers Marklo and good luck with the resolutions.   I have made a clear distinction to myself that buying kits is against the rules but equipment and consumables are all good...probably why my work desk now has a load of new tools on it!

• Haha 1