HMS Sheffield - Batch 1 Type 42 Destroyer

Still tinkering...

20230303-112326.jpg

The deck and weatherworks were given a neutral grey wash. It can be seen but it is subtle and as Rob aka @robgizlu has said many times, 'less is more', particularly at this scale. After the wash had dried it was time to rig this thing using Uschi elastic fine thread. All be it a tense time, I quite enjoyed the process.

Another daunting process looms, PE railings.

Stuart

• Like 14

Has Sid been around your gaff thought I hadn’t heard from him for a while 

very neat work Stuart in such small scale. :worthy:

Stay Safe 

beefy 

• Like 1

I'm not sure that the black appearance of the SCOT radomes is smoke/fire damage; some ships going south (eg Cardiff - https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:HMS_Tiger_Bay.jpg) fitted insulating covers to the white radomes.  In some of the photos of Sheffield after the Exocet hit, but before the fire had reached the higher parts of the ship, what appear to be straps holding the base of a cover can be seen - see, for example, http://wikimapia.org/7595685/Wreck-of-HMS-Sheffield-D-80#/photo/338082

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Gidday, I've seen dark covers on them too in photos. And in the particular photo mentioned above they look too clean to me for smoke damage. But I must stress here, this era of warship is not my forte and there are others here whose knowledge vastly outweighs mine. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, beefy66 said:

very neat work Stuart in such small scale

Thanks Beefy, much appreciated, I do try.

21 hours ago, Our Ned said:

what appear to be straps holding the base of a cover can be seen

With that photo Ned, it looks like the SCOT's are going back to black. Fortunately, being out on wings there shouldn't be a problem.

Stuart

Well I never.  I have never seen any of those black covers before but looking at those photos I think you are absolutely right and I stand corrected.  My apologies for sending you down a rabbit hole.

• Haha 1

Stumbled across this one, nice surprise!

You are doing a champion job with this one Stuart. The level of detail so far looks excellent.

Good luck with the PE railings ................... 🤞

Terry

On 3/7/2023 at 11:14 AM, Chewbacca said:

that rigging is excellent in such a small scale

Cheers Ralph, needed to be done and the Uschi fine has worked well.

On 3/9/2023 at 8:45 PM, Terry1954 said:

You are doing a champion job with this one Stuart. The level of detail so far looks excellent.

Thanks Terry, been a while since I've done maritime and never built in this scale.

This time of the year isn't conducive for modelling, warming weather means garden and veg...

Anyways...

20230314-095740.jpg

With most of the build done, I was getting more reluctant in handling this little thing in case I broke something, so I decided to get the base sort of done. The base is 6mm MDF with a rough watercolour paper added. Before I added the paper, I used the lower hull (wasn't used) as a template and cut that out. Primed black, Tamiya Royal blue applied overall before applying a lighter blue around the hull line and wake.

20230314-095826.jpgto 

Sheffield added to the base, looks cool...to me any way. Still need to sort out the 'froth' along the hull and the wake, will sort that out at the end. Can't put off the PE railings any longer.

Stuart

• Like 3

20230322-141449.jpg

PE railings on. The instructions don't tell you all the places that need railings but fortunately there were enough to do it all and I have some left over. The frothy stuff is very small pieces of cotton wool held in place with Liquitex pouring medium.

Calling this done.

RFI here:

Stuart

• Like 7

Hi,

Your build looks great.  I wish that someone would make an injection molded plastic kit of the Type 42, 22, 21 and Leanders in something a little bigger than 1/700 or 1/600 scale, as my eyes and fingers are getting to the point that those scsales are getting a bit small for me. 😐

Pat

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Very nicely done.

Thanks Ralph, glad you liked it and thanks for your help during the build.

11 hours ago, PF Naughton said:

Your build looks great.

Cheers Pat, much appreciated. I wish I had the space to house 1/350 ships but alas, 1/600-1/700 it has to be but getting a hold of some of those in my scale is getting more difficult

Stuart 

• Like 2