HMS Sheffield - Batch 1 Type 42 Destroyer

Hi All. I thought it was about time to do a couple of maritime builds before giving attention back to my scratch build of the Fushimi Maru. So what do have? The subject will be the Type 42 Destroyer, HMS Sheffield using the 1/700 CybeHobby kit. First, the stuff:

20230125-145247.jpg

The box. I will be building her as the waterline version.

20230125-145456.jpg

The plastic.

20230125-145321.jpg

Instructions, decals and PE.

This will be an OOB build but like life, things are bound to be either incorrect or missing and will need to be remedied. I know very little of this type, so if the 'collective' spot something please tell and I will give it some deliberation.

Stuart

• Like 14

23 hours ago, JohnWS said:

Looking forward to following this build,

Welcome aboard John, smaller and less detail than what you're use to.

23 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Good to see you back on the side of righteousness

Cheers Rob, it needed to be done.

22 hours ago, bissyboat said:

Details are decent, but none of the parts have connection pins.

Indeed but we muddle through.

20 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Remember doing the Newcastle and Triumph kit a few year back but no PE.

I also have a Batch 2 and a Batch 3 behind this. Looking at the PE in this kit, it looks very small and will definitely test the old eyeballs.

And on we go...

20230126-162535.jpg

Nothing much here, a hull and a flat bottom and a little sand. A couple sprue joints need some filling.

20230126-162550.jpg

Images on the 'net show bitts at the lower stern. Don't know what this area is called, somebody will tell me? Bitts added.

20230126-162600.jpg

Foredeck was a separate part and was a little undersize, so a little PPP applied. Removed the jackstaff location as no jackstaff will be fitted.

20230126-162625.jpg

Started to build up the decks of the forward superstructure. Detail is quite nice but joints are needing some attention. There is a part aft of this structure which was fitted but the instructions are a little unclear (no location pins) and I ended up fitting it incorrectly.

20230126-162650.jpg

Going up on the structure, again the joints need attention. This deck required a pair of 'wings' to be removed and unfortunately they were removed to eagerly and produced a sort of 'slot', a little filler will sort that.

20230126-162704.jpg

Here we have the funnel structure.

20230126-162831.jpg

The superstructure was dry fitted to ascertain the correct location of the mid-section (curved part forward of the funnel). I think I have the height right but I can't see from 'net images if that mid curved deck buts up against the funnel?

Stuart

• Like 12

Nice start Stuart.

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

...Images on the 'net show bitts at the lower stern. Don't know what this area is called, somebody will tell me? Bitts added.  ...

I could stand corrected, but I'm guessing the smaller lower deck at the stern is called the afterdeck or aftdeck.

John

• Like 1

...The superstructure was dry fitted to ascertain the correct location of the mid-section (curved part forward of the funnel). I think I have the height right but I can't see from 'net images if that mid curved deck buts up against the funnel?

Stuart, do any of the aerial shots at this site help?  https://www.seaforces.org/marint/Royal-Navy/Destroyer/Sheffield-Type-42-class.htm  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnWS said:

aftdeck

Mmm, maybe, I would've thought that the 'helo deck' was the aft deck but what would a submariner know :shrug:.

55 minutes ago, JohnWS said:

aerial shots

Very hard to tell. To this layman, those aerial shots are not of Batch 1 but what would a submariner know :shrug:.

Stuart

... I would've thought that the 'helo deck' was the aft deck ...

Stuart, my understanding is for ships that don't have the small 'step-down' deck at the stern, the helicopter flight deck is the aft deck.

John

Edited by JohnWS
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, JohnWS said:
7 hours ago, Courageous said:

...Images on the 'net show bitts at the lower stern. Don't know what this area is called, somebody will tell me? Bitts added.  ...

I could stand corrected, but I'm guessing the smaller lower deck at the stern is called the afterdeck or aftdeck.

Gidday, I'm not sure either - would 'fantail' suit in this situation? Or quarterdeck?

That fourth photo down seems to show a bit of 'leeway' regarding fit issues but the detail looks nice. She'll be a great model. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

She'll be a great model. Regards, Jeff.

Thanks for the confidence Jeff. This is a little smaller than your scale of 1/600 but I'm going to have to stick with it.

2 hours ago, Bigdave22014 said:

Doing the etched radars was fun. Not.

After seeing the 1/700 PE, I am wondering if I've bitten off more than I can chew. I think that I'll be okay with the radar but those mast yards look very fragile and I would like to rig it too.

Stuart 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Courageous said:

After seeing the 1/700 PE, I am wondering if I've bitten off more than I can chew. I think that I'll be okay with the radar but those mast yards look very fragile and I would like to rig it too.

Get some good magnifiers (strong reading glasses work well) and take your time. 

I put super glue in a milk carton lid and use a toothpick or a pin to apply glue where I want it.

You'll regret not trying. 

Mind you, rigging in 1/700 was a bit too far for me :) 

• Like 3

I'm seriously impressed with the level of detail in this given the scale.  There is no way that my fat fingers can work this small though!

I had the privilege of serving in two Batch 1 Type 42s, HMS BIRMINGHAM and HMS GLASGOW though both were some years after SHEFFIELD was sunk so my recollection of them incorporates all of the post Falklands modifications.  That said, a lot won't have changed.

This photo of GLASGOW was taken supposedly in 1983 (it's certainly before she received 1022 which was around 1986 IIRC) and you can clearly see that the aft end of the bridge superstructure does indeed butt up to the funnel.

HMS_Glasgow_(D88)_underway_in_the_Medite

On 26/01/2023 at 17:33, Courageous said:

Images on the 'net show bitts at the lower stern. Don't know what this area is called, somebody will tell me? Bitts added.

That's the quarterdeck in Royal Navy parlance.  And the "bitts" are bollards.

On 26/01/2023 at 17:33, Courageous said:

20230126-162650.jpg

This deck required a pair of 'wings' to be removed and unfortunately they were removed to eagerly and produced a sort of 'slot', a little filler will sort that.

When you say "a pair of wings", do you mean those square platforms aft of the SCOT platforms?  Because as this photo of SHEFFIELD shows, they certainly shouldn't be there.  

HMS_Sheffield_(D80).jpg

As a big fan of the Type 42s (especially the Batch 1s), I shall follow this with interest.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

That's the quarterdeck in Royal Navy parlance.  And the "bitts" are bollards.

Follow away my friend. 'Quarterdeck', check. 'Bollards', check.

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

do you mean those square platforms aft of the SCOT platforms?

Urm, don't know what SCOT platforms are...

In the meantime, I've posted the start of my build on a FB Group 'Royal Navy Model Ships' and the guys have helped enormously. From there, things to note:

"no walkway alongside the lower edge of the funnel. No ladder on funnel sides. 3 liferafts under the LAS sponsons forward of the motor launch (originally fitted with 5 - 2 removed in 1980/81). Sheffield differed from the other RN batch 1s in having no torpedo launchers on extended deck sides abaft the main mast, the funnel 'ears' and also (along with Birmingham) in having a differently shaped main mast." &

"conical tv aerials below the 20mm Oerlikon (not in kit), boxy main mast (not in kit), and note the upright on the bridge deck where the signalling lamp is should be further aft on the kit."

Stuart

• Like 2

On 29/01/2023 at 20:12, Courageous said:

Urm, don't know what SCOT platforms are...

Sorry Stuart.  SCOT is the satellite comms system.  If you look at the upper part of the bridge superstructure, follow aft from the bridge itself until you get to the two platforms that stick out with a small circle on each.  They are for the SCOT domes.  Arguably, they are perhaps a little low but I think in this scale the difference would be more trouble than it's worth.  The platforms that I am referring to are the two larger platforms just forward of the funnel.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Sorry Stuart.  SCOT is the satellite comms system.

No need for an apology, we're here to learn.

The hull has been cleaned and is ready for primer.

20230131-120408.jpg

Time to sort out the forward superstructure and I started by mating the lower funnel structure to it first, the join still needs a clean.

• A - This square lump isn't present on Sheffield and needs removing. The instructions tell you to mount the mg  just forward of the vertical plate B. This is incorrect and the mg should be located in the area of A.
  • B - This vertical plate is to far forward and needs to be moved. Just below this 'fictitious' plate should be a pair of TV antennae cones but they would be so small, I'm not bothering.
  • C - This platform is below the SCOT platform and has something missing. Pics show some kind of mounting here but I haven't a clue what it is :shrug:?
  • D - This shim was added because there was gap between the forward structure and Intakes on the funnel structure.

20230131-124957.jpg

The funnel structure has intake section A  added to it which should be a flush fit, hence the shim in the previous pic. The ladders B have been removed, not fitted on Sheffield. C, not sure if this support swings out or not but pics show these as being out and have wires going to/from the mast. So, I'll most probably remove these and fit something more suitable. The more I looked at pics, the more I believe that the top of A is to low.

20230131-130657.jpg

Yuk, that's macro for you. The intake roof in the middle should be higher, @Chewbacca pic shows what I mean. Do I live with it or do I add a 1.5mm shim to the top...

20230131-132649.jpg

And while I was thinking about the intake roof, I knocked up the helo hanger. A shim was added to negate the gap on the back face.

Stuart

• Like 8

Think I've got most of the structure done...

20230202-114501.jpg

The vertical side plates were moved further rearward. The roof of the intake structure forward of the funnel was built up. Aerial mounting 'yards' were added to the funnel sides, now I can rig to these later. I also noted that the triangular aerial mounts were missing from the kit part. Images clearly show these on Sheffield so these were added too. Obviously there are domes, masts and stuff to be added later. I have since found out that there should be 'Lookout Aiming Sight' (LAS) mounts fitted below the SCOT platforms, these are missing from the kit, so I'll have to cobble something to fit later.

20230202-114539.jpg

The kit provides some PE, mainly for the mast yards and the radar. The moulded parts are think, the PE is fragile and won't take any strain from any rigging later. So I decided to do a mix; plastic where there isn't any choice, 0.4mm brass for the yards and PE for the detail as can be seen on the foremast(?) here.

Stuart

• Like 9