Two 190 Builds (Part One): Eduard 1/48 A-3 JG51 Ljuban September 1942 ***FINISHED***

Ray_W

On 1/27/2023 at 5:37 AM, 81-er said:

I have the same F-8 kit, and very nice is it too! I'm thinking of scheme G when I get around to mine.

Good choice. Also a very interesting scheme.

On 1/27/2023 at 6:10 AM, Marklo said:

No I have terrible impulse control at the best of times :) I tend to bring cash and spend as much as I’ve brought a bit like being a teenager again :) I have a gold card, so if left to credit I’d be dangerous eg that 1/16 scale kubrlwagon kit they had on my last visit….

You show exceptional control. GB's are my downfall. Normally I might just buy one FW-190, but, with the excitement of the GB others soon get purchased. I purposely signed up for this GB because I had an A-8 in the stash. Now I have 3 on the bench staring at me.

On 1/27/2023 at 7:29 AM, Retired Bob said:

I'm afraid I don't have a LHS (but that's never stopped me buying too many kits)  The really big question is can you go to an online model emporium and only buy two kits?

Nice choice of kits, I have the A-3 kit but my F-8's are by Trimaster and Tamiya.

Strangely I find it easier to hold back when ordering online even considering the freight reduction. My online downfall is aftermarket.

11 minutes ago, Mukund SB said:

Setting up a fund at the beginning of every year helps to be on budget and not over spend..

Great discipline Mukund. Here in Eastern Europe it's like the good ol days. Well stocked LHS's that really grab your interest. One in particular has a lot of stock on the shelf across a broad range of genres supporting their online business. Always something to tweak your interest.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mukund SB said:

Care to share the camera and some tips....

Only a mobile - a Samsung S20+. Amazing what can be achieved. I'll be switching to an S22 Ultra this week. I am interested to see what it will do. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, franky boy said:

Nice work in the cockpit Ray

Ive been attempting those PE levers on the IP this evening. They’re very much on the fiddly side. 

James

Thanks James. The cockpit is getting there. 

As for the PE, typical Eduard and at least not too many to worry about on this occasion. I find I need the right mindset for that kind of work. This is one reason why I shelved the kit last night before the PE harnesses. I want a fresh start and like to treat such as a little project in its own right.

Ray

• Like 2

Cockpit complete and ready to zip up the fuselage halves. You can see I toned the IP down with a dark grey wash. Dial lenses are nicely glass reflective but this does not show in this image. Gunsight to be fitted.

BM Fw190A-3 WIP19

Thinned the top section of the seat and radiused the bottom edging to make it a little more scale thickness. I think this is one thing that always improves the cockpit scale effect. Toned the harness down with a little brown wash.  The RLM 66 does looks green in these images, like a dark RLM 02. It is RLM 66 (Gunze Mr Color). Must be the lighting.

BM Fw190A-3 WIP20

Ray

• Like 11

That cockpit section looks great Ray, good call with the canopy winding handle, looks much better than the p/e item, it's not on my 'ProfiPack' instructions of course.  Same with the the throttle grip, some of my sets of instructions say to use some plastic rod ( or stretched sprue) but there is a part in the kit, it's part C41.  Your photos are really sharp, nice touch with the cable from the control column. :like:

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

That cockpit section looks great Ray

Thanks Bob. I have a suspicion that I set the rudder pedals too far in by simply gluing the PE to the plastic pedal supports. The pilot would need exceptional long legs. Not to worry. This one can stay as is. Next build I'll do a little more research and get the position right.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ray_W said:

One tip is that in this kit, Eduard do not mention that they provide the canopy operating handle part C47 as an alternative to the 2 dimensional PE option. I was about to fabricate something and thought "I wonder" and yes it's there on sprue "C". Much better in plastic

Eduard often makes things flat that aren't flat. I'm building an A3 from Hasegawa's kit and using Eduard's etching. It's strange that Eduard didn't give  the crossbar (bar) to the canopy in his kit. There is in his etched parts for Hasegawa's kit.

20221112-184207.jpg

• Like 1

Some nice progress there, Ray. I really like the way you've toned in the PE, have to use that tip myself. Nice spot on the canopy handle too, I've added to a note to do the same with mine

James

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ray_W said:

Thanks Bob. I have a suspicion that I set the rudder pedals too far in by simply gluing the PE to the plastic pedal supports. The pilot would need exceptional long legs. Not to worry. This one can stay as is. Next build I'll do a little more research and get the position right.  

It's what I did as well, so we both need some tall pilots with long legs. :rofl:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Memphis said:

Eduard often makes things flat that aren't flat.

Yes, many times I think why did Eduard not provide this rather than what they do? 

@Memphis Looks like you're going into some detail. Are you posting the work anywhere? It would be of interest.

1 hour ago, 81-er said:

Some nice progress there

A lovely kit from Eduard. Tonight I hope to make some more good progress - fuselage and wings.

Ray

1 hour ago, Memphis said:

Yes, I show this build here:

Excellent. I like your harness bulkhead loops. I'll have to do the same on my next build.

5 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Excellent. I like your harness bulkhead loops. I'll have to do the same on my next build.

I should have remembered that the seat belt upper attachments were steel loops riveted to the rear bulkhead, it would make attaching the seat belts easier.

Fuselage halves are together:

BM Fw190A-3 WIP22

Did not get as far last night as I thought I would. Spent a lot of time ensuring panel fit was good. The fit is exemplary with one minor exception ... read on.

The gun trough panel gave me a little trouble. I did a dry fit and all seemed good. Then, when I applied glue, I found the starboard edge had lifted ever so slightly.  One of those problems where you think "Nah, it's OK" and then later wished you had fixed it. This I decided to do. I found I could not force it down without removing the stop lugs in the cowling.

Here you can see the a remaining stop lug. The one on starboard side, top of the image has been removed. this allowed the panel to drop a fraction and engage better. Because the glue joint had been worked it then had little strength. The Tamiya Extra Thin melting too much of the plastic (as happens when you work the joint) so I stiffened the inside with a CA/Talc mix.

BM Fw190A-3 WIP24

The final result was good. A slight sand without loss of detail. This was the offending edge. 

BM Fw190A-3 WIP23

On the next build, I will spend a little more time with preparation on this panel. Possibly shaving the lugs fractionally.

The MG cover fit is excellent. This gave me an idea.

BM Fw190A-3 WIP25

I will paint it separately and fit it after the main colour painting. Simplifies the gun masking and eliminates post painting. 

BM Fw190A-3 WIP26

Wing halves are together. I remembered, thankfully, to enclose the spent case chutes. The kit's wheels are also nice. Enjoy before they get dirty. Those MG 151/20 barrels are asking to be broken off. I ordered some Master barrels to replace them for when they do. I also prefer Master's assembly method. The barrels extending from the leading edge can be added at the end of the build. I ordered some for my other FW 190 builds.

BM Fw190A-3 WIP27

More to come.

Ray

• Like 10

12 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

I did a dry fit and all seemed good. Then, when I applied glue...

'twas ever thus Ray, it about sums up my entire modelling history very succinctly :D 

It's coming together nicely though, the cockpit is particularly impressive B) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

twas ever thus Ray, it about sums up my entire modelling history very succinctly

Made me smile Stew. Is often the way. 

• Haha 1

Well Ladies & Gentlemen, we now have something that looks suspiciously like a Butcher Bird.

BM Fw190A-3 WIP28

Well not an Australian Pied Butcher Bird, more like this:

BM Fw190A-3 WIP29

Simple and neat construction. Excellent fit. Like others I am using the closed canopy option as the cockpit mask. The blue tinge is Gunze's Mr. Masking Sol. And, yes, I did break off the cannon barrels. The white is a little White Mr Finishing Surfacer I have sprayed to check seams. The usual suspects - fuselage and leading edge joins.

BM Fw190A-3 WIP30

Vice less build and zero filler. Lovely.

BM Fw190A-3 WIP31

A final check and clean and then on with the paint.

Ray

• Like 14

1 minute ago, Retired Bob said:

Looking good Ray, ready for some paint.  

Thanks Bob, the fun part. My plan is to paint it in the standard RLM 74,75,76 scheme and then repaint the top surfaces in RLM 70, and what might be a mixed RLM 71. I was thinking RLM 62. In the end, not sure about the RLM 62 or 71. I finished this Bulgarian trio in Gunze paints. The Stukas in RLM 70 and 71 and the Bf-109 in RLM 71 and 62. 

BM Bf-109E3 Final 10

Actual aircraft - RLM 70 will definitely get a run. Still no decision on the lighter green and did they use greys? :confused:

BM Fw190A-3 WIP2

Have to come to a landing soon, so to speak. 

Ray

• Like 6