Two 190 Builds (Part One): Eduard 1/48 A-3 JG51 Ljuban September 1942 ***FINISHED***

Ray_W

My second subject is a 1/48 A3. I wanted another later tool Eduard kit with, in the box, preferably their earlier manufactured decals and a subject in Eastern Front greens - Uffz. Erich Pflaum's JG51 A-3 fits the bill. 

BM Fw190A-3 WIP1

For most of my earlier modelling I stayed away from RLM 70 and 71 finishes. Thought they were boring. I have only really come to appreciate what can be achieved with this finish and now like these subject colours. You can achieve some nice weathering effects so this should be fun.

I would be really pleased to hear it if anyone has a different view to Eduard. RLM 70 and 71? Seems reasonable. A nice colour image here (colourised?) to work to.

BM Fw190A-3 WIP2

I collect the kit today. Part Two of my dual build will be underway.

Ray

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Now that I think about it Ray whats your take 70/71 over 65 or 76 ? 

At this early stage I am leaning towards 70/71 over 76 and that is without opening the mixed colours scenario. Just starting to do some research on this. Here's hoping others will also chime in.

38 minutes ago, franky boy said:

Is that some kind of red primer on the underside of the nose or have the colourising people got it wrong?

Yes, I would love to know if this is a colourised image. Time to start going through Fw 190 references and see what I can unearth. 

My thoughts on  the cowling underside colour is a darker/richer shade of yellow compared to the wingtip and fuselage yellow. A little less orange than Eduard depict. Say RLM04 under the nose and RLM 27 for the lighter yellows. The colour photos available for JG54 seem to suggest something like this. 

JG54 under cowling yellow 1

However, there are a lot of variation in the colour for the same image - from a definite orange to washed out yellow depending on the reproduction. Ditto for the other famous JG54 colour images. Maybe the yellow appeared differently over a RLM 76 finish to that applied over the darker green. Assuming the latter was applied after the main colours. Or, cowling temperature and wiped access panels giving a more glossy finish making the yellow appear darker under the cowling in the photos.

Not sure. 

Ray

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Marklo said:

Welcome to the GB Ray. I do like those eastern front camo schemes.

I have to agree with that be it not as exotic as JG54.

Another nice choice Ray, interesting speculation on the yellow ID colour panels, especially when compared to the aircraft behind.  The swastika being on a masked off area of 76 is more evidence of local camouflage change.  As always with Russian front aircraft, if you're not happy with the outcome there's always the option of a winter distemper overspray. :whistle: 

• Haha 1

To me the cowling yellow looks as if it’s stained or muddied. I’d be very reluctant to trust a photo from the period as even if it hadn’t been recoloured the colours would have changed over time, also bear in mind that the film may not be accurately reflecting the colours in the first place.

That said having a picture as reference is always helpful and so long as your happy with the end result that’s ok.

37 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

there's always the option of a winter distemper overspray.

🤣🤣 I am so tempted to do a third. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Marklo said:

I’d be very reluctant to trust a photo from the period as even if it hadn’t been recoloured the colours would have changed over time, also bear in mind that the film may not be accurately reflecting the colours in the first place.

Yes these colours are really about doing the best research you can then putting a stake in the ground and saying I'm going with that. Always good to have a photo while being aware of its limitations. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ray_W said:

🤣🤣 I am so tempted to do a third. 

I think I'm up to 5th or 6th with some of the research I've done. (and the kits are already in the stash, don't worry Enzo knows they are there) :wicked:

Another nice choice, Ray :) I'm leaning towards that image being colourised, as the RLM 71 on the tail fades into grey which then lightens into the RLM 76 around the swastika

James

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 81-er said:

Another nice choice, Ray :) I'm leaning towards that image being colourised, as the RLM 71 on the tail fades into grey which then lightens into the RLM 76 around the swastika

Hi James,

The same image is here and it allows you to zoom in quite close and retain some definition.

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Fw-190A/JG51/images/Focke-Wulf-Fw-190A3-2.JG51-(B2+)-WNr-2278-Erich-Pflaum-85km-from-St.-Peterburg-Sep-29th-1942-poster-01.jpg 

Zoom in close on the fin and you will see the faint white border on the swastika over what I expect is the RLM 76 square background. That answers that question satisfactorily for me. What is happening with the rest of the grey on the fin (reflection, grey used, colourised?) is yet to be answered.

This color image appeared in Flugzeug Classic in November 2010 and was discussed on the FalkeEins site, as an original color image:

https://falkeeins.blogspot.com/2011/09/colour-shot-of-jg-51-fw-190.html

Here described by the magazine as a rare colour photo included as the centre spread poster. The small inset cover image removing the swastika.

BM Fw190A-3 WIP3

There is also a head on colour image:

BM Fw190A-3 WIP4

Now trying to hunt down a copy of this Flugzeug Classic issue. 

Ray

• Like 4

Thanks for the additional info, Ray :) I'm still leaning towards it being a colourised image myself, but that's just my personal opinion and I won't be offended at all if you choose to ignore it. Whatever you do, it'll look great once it's done!

James

14 minutes ago, 81-er said:

I'm still leaning towards it being a colourised image

I still haven't made a decision. Interestingly, the photos were apparently take by Rudolf Hottman and there is a colour image of Hottman in Russia 1942.  Same location? Obviously a different day and/or time judging by the cloud formations.  

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/He-111/AufklGr/pages/Aircrew-Luftwaffe-pilot-Rudolf-Hottmann-Russia-01.html

BM Fw190A-3 WIP5

Quite possibly a colour camera was available or maybe magazine colourised artwork at the time. I'll keep researching.  

Ray

• Like 4

Great news. I collected the kit today so work can now start on this particular subject.

BM Fw190A-3 WIP6

There is always a danger when visiting you're LHS. That is, if you're so lucky to have one. The big question is, can you walk out with just the intended kit? I my case, no chance. 

Now, I'm blaming Bob (yet again) because he piqued my interest with this statement.

On 1/25/2023 at 9:08 PM, Retired Bob said:

if you're not happy with the outcome there's always the option of a winter distemper overspray. 

Winter distemper? Good option. Picking up the F-8 box (yes I know, I'm weak), I surreptitiously gazed at the supplied markings and this one jumped out. Oh, now that is a must do and, after all, I have never built an F-8.

BM Fw190A-3 WIP8

So, enough excuses. Money paid. Two kits in hand. Quick, get out while the going's good.

BM Fw190A-3 WIP7

The F-8 is a recent Eduard kit. A gold trim box ProfiPACK with their new (yuk!) decal process. Printed in 2021 with the rubbery carrier film. Looks thick. I suppose, more peeling fun to come.

BM Fw190A-3 WIP9

Also the colours are sometimes strange, in particular, yellow. I will mask and spray this.

BM Fw190A-3 WIP11

For my A-3, I am using, intentionally, the older orange box ProfiPACK A-3 kit with decals printed in 2018 the traditional way (cheers!). Very little carrier film. Nothing to peel.

BM Fw190A-3 WIP10

And good colour density

BM Fw190A-3 WIP12

So I think it's time to stop talking/typing and start cutting plastic.

Ray

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Ray_W said:

can you walk out with just the intended kit? 

No I have terrible impulse control at the best of times :) I tend to bring cash and spend as much as I’ve brought a bit like being a teenager again :) I have a gold card, so if left to credit I’d be dangerous eg that 1/16 scale kubrlwagon kit they had on my last visit….

Looks like a great kit.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Ray_W said:

There is always a danger when visiting you're LHS. That is, if you're so lucky to have one. The big question is, can you walk out with just the intended kit? I my case, no chance. 

Now, I'm blaming Bob (yet again) because he piqued my interest with this statement.

I'm afraid I don't have a LHS (but that's never stopped me buying too many kits)  The really big question is can you go to an online model emporium and only buy two kits?

Nice choice of kits, I have the A-3 kit but my F-8's are by Trimaster and Tamiya.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2023 at 12:40 AM, Marklo said:

No I have terrible impulse control at the best of times :) 

Ha ha... aren't we all 😝 I bought the Eduard A8 weekend edition... comparatively cheaper. just for this GB. It is very difficult to control the urge to add another kit then another to the cart especially while buying online.... In India Hobby stores are extinct. On travel I could control impulse purchases due to limitation on allowed check-in luggage.... I never buy hobby supplies / kits using credit card.... Setting up a fund at the beginning of every year helps to be on budget and not over spend.... 

• Haha 1

I made some progress over the weekend. Mostly preparing parts and some painting and sub-assemblies.

BM Fw190A-3 WIP13

I was happy with how the PE side consoles blended in. I reduced the size of some of their white markings by painting with a fine brush. Also, removed others that seemed excessive. Then, used an RLM 66 wash to make it look the same as the rest of the cockpit tub. Harness, rudder pedals, joystick cable and some wear to come. It is getting there.

I was also happy how the prop and front face of the BMW 801 turned out. Not much to see once its buried in the cowling but I do think it's worth the effort. 

BM Fw190A-3 WIP14

Getting everything ready to do the main assembly.

BM Fw190A-3 WIP17

Or minor assemblies for that matter. Canopy masked and sprayed RLM 66. More detail and weathering to come.

BM Fw190A-3 WIP16

The usual IP image using Eduard's vinyl PE. I toned this down already but it still looks a little stark in the photo.

BM Fw190A-3 WIP15

One tip is that in this kit, Eduard do not mention that they provide the canopy operating handle part C47 as an alternative to the 2 dimensional PE option. I was about to fabricate something and thought "I wonder" and yes it's there on sprue "C". Much better in plastic.

BM Fw190A-3 WIP18

Sorry it is not a very exciting update. The next one should be somewhat better with some finished components and major parts glued together.

Ray

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2