Casey's Small, Big and Colorful - 1/72 Airfix A8 - Ullmann and 1/32 Revell F8 Black 6 - *FINISHED*

Casey

Hi Casey,

so far, so very good. Great painting.

I have noticed that you are having the same weird thing that I had when I built this kit.

The exhausts are sticking out of the fuselage by up to a couple of mm, when they should be flush with the engine cover.

I believe we either made the same fitting mistake, or Airfix stuffed up. I decided to cut mine level, and it did bring me quite a bit more work than I anticipated...

This is supposed to be fun and relaxing.

JR

Edited by jean

13 hours ago, jean said:

The exhausts are sticking out of the fuselage by up to a couple of mm, when they should be flush with the engine cover.

I feel it is the either model design error or manual error - those get 'squished in' if you do the assembly according to the manual and try to fit things together. I will try to glue them in different order next time and see how it fits. Yes there will be next time, I am persistent with those little monsters.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Nicely done with the paint, Casey. I've seen Parafilm mentioned as a masking material before, but not many people seem to be using it. Are there any pros/cons vs Tamiya tape?

James

10 hours ago, 81-er said:

I've seen Parafilm mentioned as a masking material before, but not many people seem to be using it. Are there any pros/cons vs Tamiya tape?

I use both, as you can see.

Parafilm does not have glue, it is held just by electrostatic force so it is next to impossible to pull up a paint with it. On the other hand, it means it does not *stick* and applying small shapes of product that tends to stick to itself like a wet decal feels like brain surgery sometimes. It comes in 250ft rolls which, considering you need to stretch it at least twice before use, is enough to probably wrap a small car (and I have at least 10 rolls of it so it will take me a while to go through them)

I sometimes use it for complex canopies too, you can make it so thin you can cut it with scalpel with just slightest touch and since it is thermoplastic, after heating it up a bit it can fit much more difficult shapes than tamiya tape.

But I also use shilouette cutter (https://www.silhouetteamerica.com/featured-product/portrait) and tamiya sheets - like the mask I did for this particular model. The 1/32 scaled one - I am planning to use Parafilm on cockpit.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

To quote the classic, "I atent ded!". Just got into rabbit hole of color matching and stuff...

But I did made some progress on the Airfix 1:72

Finished up the propeller assembly, painted propeller with RLM70 from my recipes above. I made my own gunmetal color from Golden Fluid silver 2 parts and 1 part of carbon black. It looks decent enough. The red bits on wings are painted in Cadmium Red.

The white is RLM 21 - from my recipes too.

I'll put samples of those two mixed colors and comparison to the targets later.

It is now ready for decals. I do not use gloss coat under decals.

398d21c3407c027860333a3ebcc9bbf0.jpg

Here is how it looks with decals applied:

176c8e2a9cb229a7a72897e537346fe2.jpg

Here is how the airfix decals go on the paints I use and how they look without gloss coat - here is close on that too.

I could've cut the decal in pieces so the carrier film would be gone but it is 1/72. Maybe next time when I am in the mood for puzzles or work on Airfix McDonnell Douglas Phantom FGR.2.

6c4c3958a6d4672efcdedd2f41affe00.jpg

Underbelly. I still need to add the fuel tank and pilots step. That last one I broke off while misshandling - clunky fingers again. And there is some decal softener I still need to clean. Damp cloth is enough for that.

578d88f2b0e3bcffc4cd719c0e5e8e23.jpg

The model up close:

a9c77406d823d2b332cdb083a329f1bd.jpg

Once I install missing bits&pieces this model will be finished.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 9

Hi Casey,

great work and beautiful painting!

Pretty much finished.

JR

• Thanks 1

Here is the finished Airfix 1/72 FW-190 Yay! This time I used bit better light source. Welcome back colors!

spacer.png

spacer.png

ca41cef3e1039589891f51f549307434.jpg

adada6e045454e1f9e96724e703f0004.jpg

4a7a1a19da3ca632ebcc1109dd42e3b4.jpg

da6634a440f2585a0692d11d6b1263ab.jpg

Edited by Casey
  • Like 11

Hi Casey,

Just admiring your gallery images. Great result on what must be a tiny model in 1/72. I like your colour mixes. Always of great interest. Unlikely I'll get into mixing Golden Fluid acrylics (I have too many interests on the go) but very tempting with the results you achieve.

Ray

• Thanks 1

Fantastic work! It looks really sharp. Those decals on the Golden Fluid works really well. What solutions do you use? I too prefer to omit a gloss layer if I can, but haven't been brave enough to try on anything below satin/ semi gloss finish.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Ngantek said:

Those decals on the Golden Fluid works really well. What solutions do you use?

Microsol and Microset from Microscale Industries.

Main reason why silvering happens is the air trapped under decal, Golden Fluid with their matt medium has a smooth surface so it is usually not a problem. Then all that is left is to equalize the decal surface glossiness to the rest of the paint - I use very thin layer of Liquitex Matt varnish over decals only for that and you can see the results above.

Edited by Casey

• 1 month later...

Some progress, I've finished the engine for Revell 1/32 FW190. It was fun to put together, and It's probably the coolest part of the model, so it'd be a shame to leave it hidden; I might want to do an open hull for that one.

Painted mostly in Golden Fluid silver, Copper plus some mixes to mimic anthracite and blue-grey. Rust is painted using literal rust; the paint is called Red Iron Oxide, which is, well, made of rust. The bright red parts are painted using Cadmium Red. I've used oil wash with umber and sienna to get some oil residue on cylinders.

I left the exhaust pipes with mold marks, they looked more like the real thing from reference thread photos :)

5664d2ac8477b2c14bbb4ee64b748498.jpg

0fe5c124e5bfbeec67fb9734e1d4601d.jpg

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...

I still am working on it! I should be able to make it within the deadline, unless I entirely cut off my finger with scalpel next time ;)

I've glued many parts using Artists' Watercolor Masking Fluid - like the temporary cockpit windshield and everything covering the engine that will be uncovered later. And also used it to make a leading edge on the wing, which I probably should have done differently. But it was fun to do. Then I painted it using my version of RLM 75/76/83. I know RLM 83 is supposedly blue, but I do not want to go into a rabbit hole of that. Yet.

And for this scale, I decided to go full freehand.

2e066968a304db312b992d95256811d3.jpg

I've unstuck the temporary cockpit glass, which I also masked for practice or as a spare if my target cockpit fails badly.

74ddc364bc82a0ddddc6d880670d4387.jpg

Then I placed some yellow RLM04 and removed the panels temporarily held by masking fluid. It turned out not half bad! I still need to finish the cockpit, wheels, and guns and maybe do something about that horrible seam on the wing. And there is a lot of tidying up still to be done.

And I used some light that enables colors :) Spray booth LEDs are horrible. I might need to dig out my soldering iron and be angry enough to change them into something different.

d241e66f9e8030df57634a8b4622a3be.jpg

Edited by Casey
  • Like 10