Casey's Small, Big and Colorful - 1/72 Airfix A8 - Ullmann and 1/32 Revell F8 Black 6 - *FINISHED*

Casey

Two super builds - I think I will stop griping about the FROG Ta152 kit after your and Jean's views on the Airfix one!

Loving your analysis and approach to colours, starting from pure and strong pigments. I have my favourite off the shelf colours and some simple but imperfect matches for a lot of schemes, but am always in search of the "perfect" Temperate Sea Scheme. 

Looking forward to the Revell one being finished - it looks stunning already.

Regards,

Adrian

I thought the deadline was tomorrow, and also on the UK timezone. :)

But I was on a finishing line anyway; here is the current state:

4e1dbff309727868d9176432c5b4af58.jpg

I put the gear on and most of the decals and finished the propeller assembly. That white place under the exhaust was my fault; I'll paint it or use the space for oil weathering.

Decals still need gloss equalizing; they are too shiny compared to the rest of the paint. But they went pretty well.

I'll try to get a better angle on a propeller to show the difference between the RLM70 propeller blade and the RLM72 propeller cowl.

Here it is:

a621c5de55f886e9aecc0b8f6cbe554f.jpg

The canopy is not glued on yet; I just placed it to show the progress.

I painted guns using my gunmetal recipe; it is 1 part carbon black as a base, 1 part Payne's gray to give it the gun bluing-like shade, 2 parts of van dyke brown to give the oily brown undertone and 8 parts of iridescent pearl - which is just titanium oxide covered mica particles that are used to simulate metallic paints.

Still some work to do, but getting there.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 9

I've just read this whole thread from beginning to end and  I have to say how impressed I am with your work, bot the paint mixing and the tidiness of the builds.  Absolutely superb on both counts, Casey.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

And it is all done! You can see the photos here, in the Gallery

c74993ea13b463d78b7e70d5751686c7.jpg

5bc13b838e1b7b8b3ffec8eea17ce01a.jpg

89ba22bc05c3ab0d4db7fcec5e759779.jpg

Edited by Casey
  • Like 10

• Casey changed the title to Casey's Small, Big and Colorful - 1/72 Airfix A8 - Ullmann and 1/32 Revell F8 Black 6 - *FINISHED*