Two 190 Builds (Part Two): Eduard 1/48 A-8 JG3 Memmingen June 1944 *** FINISHED ***

Ray_W

Looking very sharp Ray, much the same scheme as my JG 3 aircraft will be in, but I will be using white 1.  I think Eduard must be working their way through all the aircraft in the Staffel.

• Like 1

I spent the time this weekend with the expectation I would finish, but not to be.

BM Fw190A-8 WIP54

Used Tamiya Dark Brown Panel Line Accent Color to do just that - accent panel lines (and control surfaces). Removed what little excess there was with Lighter Fluid. Left it overnight and then a flat coat of Gunze GX-114.

You might notice that I have started some more aggressive weathering. I want to show some aluminium chipping at the wing roots. Thought it a little silly if I did not chip back to the usual RLM colours under the blue-black first. 

BM Fw190A-8 WIP51

In this case I just brush painted the wear. Some aluminium chipping and it should be OK.

We're a funny lot. No sooner do we have a nicely masked edge and spent the time and concentration to get a good finish and we destroy it. At least I didn't go this far:

BM Fw190A-8 WIP55

Everything else is bits and pieces:

Brake lines (those top oleo seals could do with a replacement) and drop tank: 

BM Fw190A-8 WIP52

Tank with obligatory dents, stronger attachment and a couple of holes to add the fuel lines.

BM Fw190A-8 WIP56

Started stripping masks. Always pleasing if everything has gone well. The armoured glass needs some thought. Sadly, sensibly I will not use my preferred Tamiya Extra Thin. My plan is to use a small amount of PVA on two sides coinciding with the main canopy frames and avoid capillary action. I suppose one advantage of PVA is I can have a few goes if need be.

BM Fw190A-8 WIP53

More to do.

Edit: and I could not leave it till tomorrow. 

Getting there.

BM Fw190A-8 WIP57

Ray

Edited by Ray_W
Added an additional image
  • Like 8

15 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

how did you make the dent?

Just round chisel point and sand. I also put a couple of shallow depressions on the side. 

• Like 1

That does look good, Ray. Weathering is a funny thing I build a lot of WWI subjects and if I were to weather/distress them accurately most people would believe it was realistic. I usually do my aircraft close to factory finish and for some reason my AFVs dirty and distressed :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Ray_W said:

You might notice that I have started some more aggressive weathering. I want to show some aluminium chipping at the wing roots. Thought it a little silly if I did not chip back to the usual RLM colours under the blue-black first. 

Looking at photos of these 'sturm' aircraft, they took quite a battering as they attacked the bomber formations, with fuel, oil and bits of aircraft coming back at them.  I'm happy to have my aircraft still quite freshly painted with just a bit of wear and oil/fuel stains.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Marklo said:

Weathering is a funny thing I build a lot of WWI subjects and if I were to weather/distress them accurately most people would believe it was realistic.

I try to replicate what I see in photos. Great with the modern subjects as you have colour photography and you can capture the subtleties. I feel black and white is a little more difficult. Some of the 1945 captured aircraft colour images are gold. Overall, I am not a fan of greatly distressed airframes unless the subject matter shows it. 

8 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

they took quite a battering as they attacked the bomber formations

Interesting comment. Hard life for all crews involved and the equipment used.

5 hours ago, Walter said:

Impressive work and detail

Thanks Walter. Always scary distressing a nice paint job without going overboard.

I like to have a look at what I achieved in diffuse natural light. It is a better measure than under the bright work bench lights and as I do not do the photography for magazines the weathering can be more subtle. Often does not show under harsh lighting.

BM Fw190A-8 WIP59

The exhaust staining is a Tamiya XF NATO black with some brown in a more heavily thinned mix. Importantly, I thin with Mr Color Leveling Thinner. I have tried various concoctions. This is the most reliable in terms of a consistent air brush spray. No tip dry and easiest to get trigger control just right. I used my Iwata HP-B Plus 0.2 nozzle at around 12 psi. I find the air pressure is less important. The usual most important things in air brushing apply - correct thinning and trigger control. 

BM Fw190A-8 WIP60

BM Fw190A-8 WIP58

Largely there. I will tinker with it a little more.

Ray

• Like 7

49 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

Largely there. I will tinker with it a little more.

That's very nice Ray. :like:   Looking worn but not abused, and not like it's been parked in a coal yard for a month. :facepalm:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Looking worn but not abused

Thank you. Good. It's what I am usually hunting for.

Just catching up with this one after a slow weekend. It’s looking great Ray. As said above the weathering is subtle but very effective. 

James 

• Like 1

Sorry guys for posting lots of pictures. I hope you find them of interest.

We now have undercarriage.

BM Fw190A-8 WIP63

I was dreading the undercarriage based on my experience with the previous Eduard build. I made up the undercarriage complete with gear doors and wheels and then had a devil of a job getting the whole assembly to fit and provide the correct geometry. I was successful but it was time consuming and irritating. This time around I decided on another plan of attack and this worked so well I was actually surprised. Hence the post. The solution was to assemble each piece in turn in situ in the wheel well. Check geometry and move. on. I used gel CA to give minimal amount of movement and once set in position wicked in thin CA to strength each joint. First the struts. Then the drag links. Keep checking the gear doors will slip into the gap between the strut and lower wing.

BM Fw190A-8 WIP61

Next the wheels. Looks like some repair work on the tyre casting seam will be needed.

BM Fw190A-8 WIP62

Next slip the gear doors in and it's done.

BM Fw190A-8 WIP64

Much easier. 

Ray

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Ray_W said:

The solution was to assemble each piece in turn in situ in the wheel well. Check geometry and move. on.

An interesting way to assemble the u/c Ray,  I have always used the former method of building the legs, covers and wheels and then attaching them to the aircraft.  I'll give it some thought, though with my old clumsy fingers it could be frustrating.  I was spraying some repair touch ups on my A-3 'Foxes on a plane' yesterday and....as I turned it to check that I had covered my seam repairs it took flight, straight onto a concrete floor. :wtf:  What did I say about cursing not working if it's done quietly.  Repairs have been carried out. :penguin:

• Sad 4

27 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

it took flight, straight onto a concrete floor

I know that feeling. Thankfully on this one, my foot just caught it in time to minimalise the damage. Only can say one thing - build 'em strong. 

BM EA-18G c86

26 minutes ago, 81-er said:

Have you got much more to do before this one's complete?

Assuming I do not drop it (sorry Bob), it's close. Into the time consuming bits and pieces then fix the weathering as necessary.

Last night I battled on to complete the sliding canopy section and fitted the drop tank. I ended up using a tiny amount of Tamiya Extra Thin wicked in at the front and bottom frame of the armoured panels. Careful not to allow any to touch the clear portions and then purged with a hairdryer on a low warm setting to remove residual fumes (if any). I found using PVA too frustrating.

BM Fw190A-8 WIP65

BM Fw190A-8 WIP66

All going well, I should finish tonight.

Ray

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Assuming I do not drop it (sorry Bob),

It's not the first model I've dropped, and I don't suppose it will be  the last one.

I'm thinking of getting some of those rubber interlocking floor panels to put in my spray area.  Knowing my luck, the kit will bounce off and find an uncovered concrete bit. 😬

10 hours ago, Ray_W said:

All going well, I should finish tonight.

It's certainly looking impressive Ray.  I managed some spraying today even though the temp was low, more importantly I didn't drop anything.  :whistle:

• Like 1

I'm calling this one complete even though I still have the aerial wire to do tomorrow in some better light. I predrilled a hole in the canopy and the top of the fin ready to accept the Infini rigging be it a little complicated with conductors and the dropper into the fuselage.  It should be interesting posing the Infini product in an un-tensioned state as with the canopy open there needs to be slight droop (not blown hood magnitude) in the aerial wire. Let's see how we go. 

Mmm ... I still have to weather the canopy. Oh well, tomorrow. Maybe I should call it "All But Finished"

BM Fw190A-8 WIP70

BM Fw190A-8 WIP69

BM Fw190A-8 WIP67

BM Fw190A-8 WIP68

Thanks to everyone for following along and offering plenty of advice and encouragement. Another great STGB. Most enjoyable subject material. What a pleasure to be back into WW2 props. I'd love to sneak in a third. Might be a tad challenging with the Crusader waiting its turn on the ramp.

See you on the next one.

Ray 

• Like 7

• Ray_W changed the title to Two 190 Builds (Part Two): Eduard 1/48 A-8 JG3 Memmingen June 1944 *** All But Finished ***
  • Ray_W changed the title to Two 190 Builds (Part Two): Eduard 1/48 A-8 JG3 Memmingen June 1944 *** FINISHED ***
13 hours ago, Marklo said:

Don’t forget to post it in the gallery too.

Truly finished now so later today I should get some gallery images.

As a postscript.

I finally decided on using the lycra for the aerial wire. Thought about fishing line and stretched sprue and went with my usual. 

BM Fw190A-8 WIP73

It presented a unique set of difficulties. Being very elastic meant getting it right with no tension was a challenge. I usually like CA/talc for the insulators, in this case I used PVA as the lycra had no strength and would stick to whatever applicator you used. Even tough to paint them. I had to use a blob of paint and keep the brush clear. I expect they will shrink a little bit seeing I took the photo immediately on completion. Also wound myself a spring for the fin top connection. 

BM Fw190A-8 WIP74

So that officially concludes the STGB for me. Now I can relax and watch everybody else's builds. Here's the two I completed.

BM Fw190A-8 WIP72

Thanks again for the great support and kind remarks.

Ray

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Walter said:

Top job Ray something to be proud of.

Thanks Walter. Very enjoyable builds.