Two 190 Builds (Part Two): Eduard 1/48 A-8 JG3 Memmingen June 1944 *** FINISHED ***

Ray_W

26 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Have to say Ray that the colour you have used looks very good, a good choice.

We will see when the other colours are in place. Looks promising. 👍 for Eduard recommendation at this stage.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sanjuro said:

To my knowledge this is the only site describing the color of the cowl as 'dark blue'

Thanks @Sanjuro seems some method in Eduard madness. Makes me comfortable now in painting the cowling in the blue-black. Interesting that they say the upper wing at the root was also painted in the same colour. The side eagle motif remaining in black. 

Ray

• Like 1

I did some more research and will definitely go with the late and great Jerry Crandall's comments. Here is some nice discussion describing the scheme from Eagle Editions:

"As Sturmstaffel 1 evolved into IV./JG 3 (Sturm) and Major von Kornatzki formed II./JG 4 (Sturm), the Sturm mission expanded and was more clearly defined, the Rammjäger tactic was toned down by the new IV./JG 3 Gruppenkommandeur Wilhelm Moritz. It was a full-fledged bomber assault unit and ramming was discouraged. Mr. Moritz was interviewed in Canada several times by Jerry Crandall and much of the details were discussed regarding the Sturmjäger aircraft. These flashy, specialized Sturmbock (Male Sheep-Ram) machines with their Blue-Black cowlings were symbols of the proud unit.

Color note: Recovered cowl pieces from crashed IV./JG 3 aircraft have a Blue-Black cast very close to FS 26044. Black and White photos of these aircraft do appear to have a slightly different cast or lighter value than the Black of the Balkenkreuz or the IV. Gruppe welle (wave) over the White RV band. The cowling and spinners also appear to have a semi-gloss luster. As this color weathers and ages, it definitely turns to a Bluish-Black (FS 26044). In order to achieve an accurate color for these cowlings and spinner, it is recommended mixing 10% RLM 24 Dark Blue with 90% Black."

Ref: https://www.eagle-editions.com/product/eaglecals-99-fw-190-a-8s-sturmjager-iv-jg-3-udet/

Special thanks to @Sanjuro for leading me down this track.

I will paint the wing roots in the blue-black using Gunze C125, which seems a reasonable match for FS 26044. Alternative would be to go with 10% RLM 24 and 90% RLM 22 Black as recommended. Someone else might give that a go. Let's first see what the C125 looks like. 

Time to press on and get painting.

Ray

• Like 7

I had a very productive evening. It did not take long to get the colours on having made the decision to go with the blue-black. All paints are Gunze's Mr Color thinned with Mr Color Levelling Thinner. The images are again looking a little brown with the blue mat background.

BM Fw190A-8 WIP37

The subtle blue-black of the cowling and the wing root detail really shows up with the naked eye. I like it. Adds another dimension of menace to this subject.

BM Fw190A-8 WIP40

BM Fw190A-8 WIP38

BM Fw190A-8 WIP39

BM Fw190A-8 WIP41

I'll put it aside for now. Tomorrow should see a nice coat of Gunze GX-112 gloss clear and then we will be close to decals. I think the decals will really bring this subject alive.

Ray 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Marklo said:

Looks really good. I’m hoping to start painting on my builds tomorrow.

Hopefully as enjoyable as mine this evening. Even though I did some masking for the white and black, most was freehand, What a pleasure.

1 minute ago, modelling minion said:

That is superb painting Ray, really nice work.

The Painting Gods on this build have been smiling on me.  

• Like 1

You've done a great job on that paint, Ray, it's absolutely superb! The blue-black on the cowling is a nice contrast to the straight black by the exhausts

James

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ray_W said:

The subtle blue-black of the cowling and the wing root detail really shows up with the naked eye. I like it. Adds another dimension of menace to this subject.

Great research and painting Ray, I will be adding 10% dark blue to my black engine cowlings when painting JG 3 FW's from now on.

• Like 1

Thanks all. Some great comments coming through. I am so enjoying this build. Research and execution - it's why I love scale modelling.

Tonight I made some progress with the decals. I still have to do the starboard fuselage side and the wing walk markings (oh! how I hate these), but, I thought I might make a post with my experience thus far. Hopefully you may find it of use.

Here is the current status with the chemicals in play:

BM Fw190A-8 WIP42

I always apply a gloss coat to protect the colour layers and blend everything together before applying decals. It is not a super high gloss, as would be achieved with multiple coats, just enough for protection and a nice smooth surface finish. In this case I used my preferred Gunze GX 112 Gloss Super Clear III UV Cut thinned with Mr Color Leveling Thinner. I also use their GX100. Not much between them, although subjectively, the GX112 seems to spray a little better and provide a better finish even though the GX100 is already excellent. Underline "subjectively".

I sprayed the gloss coat this morning and was ready to decal on return this evening. I suspect you could give it a couple of hours and get into decals but why rush. I used the old style Gunze Mr Mark Setter and Softer and the results have been great. Mr Mark Setter under the decal, apply the decal and then Mr Mark Softer over the top as necessary after it has started to set (5 minutes). Others might do otherwise. This worked for me with these Eduard decals.

BM Fw190A-8 WIP44

The black flash is a complete decal and I applied it with the usual trepidation. No need to worry,  all went well with the same decalling process. Mind you, I still have the right hand side to do 😬.  The port side flash settled down nicely with the Setter. I did choose to hit it with some Softer to capture the detail.

BM Fw190A-8 WIP43

The main reason why I made this post is that you may see some speckling in the flash above. This is in the decal printing. These are the old style Eduard decals. Not the more recent Eduard in-house printed and peelable (if you're lucky) decals.

Here is what they look like before application.

BM Fw190A-8 WIP45

On the model it can look like a bad case of silvering. This is different to the little bit of staining from the decal solutions that are easily removed with a water moistened microfibre cloth. You may think the decals are not performing.

BM Fw190A-8 WIP46

Fear not. I always encapsulate the decals with some more gloss - again GX112. This ties the finish together and provides protection for the decal before weathering and other finishing. Once the gloss coat is applied the mottled surface finish disappears.

Lovely.

BM Fw190A-8 WIP47

So far this is the only decal I have gloss coated as a demonstration. The others I'll do when I am totally happy with the decals. Usually, on inspection, I will apply some more Mark Softer to ensure I capture the detail.

Hope this helps. If you get this "silvering" maybe worth doing a coating test to see if it is true silvering or whether it will disappear under a gloss coat.

Ray

• Like 9

Impressive results with the decals Ray, with the open, white simplified upperwing crosses I'm usually in favour of masking and spraying, just in case they 'silver'.  I do the same with the eagle wing flash on the fuselage, paint the area around the engine cooling doors and use the decal for the outer detail.  Thanks for sharing your decal tips. :like: 

• Like 1

Looking good Ray. I had the same experience with the decals from my A-6 kit which were also printed pre Eduard producing their own. They looked just like yours while still on the backing paper with what looks like water marks. And then the the look of slivering when applied which then disappears under a clear coat. 

Look forward to more progress. 

James

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

I'm usually in favour of masking and spraying, just in case they 'silver'.

In my case it tends to be a reactive rather than proactive response. Thankfully, not necessary this time.

5 hours ago, franky boy said:

And then the the look of slivering when applied which then disappears under a clear coat. 

Scary when they are first applied.

5 hours ago, 81-er said:

thanks for showing your method

A pleasure. The Eduard blemishes were worthy of a little more comment. 

I have finished the decals and happy with the results.

BM Fw190A-8 WIP49

The wing walk markings came up well with no evidence of silvering. Any apparent edges resulting from the gloss coat should disappear under a flat coat.

BM Fw190A-8 WIP48

Next up a targeted pin wash, followed by a flat coat and some serious weathering.

Ray

• Like 9

That looks really good, Ray. I'm liking the subtle difference between the shades of black on the cowl and the decals

James

• Like 1