Two 190 Builds (Part Two): Eduard 1/48 A-8 JG3 Memmingen June 1944 *** FINISHED ***

Ray_W

I am planning to build two Eduard 1/48 Fw 190's. Both kits to be built in parallel with separate WIP threads. Kit subjects with kit decals. I tried to choose older kits. Still new tool Fw 190's but prior to Eduard's change in their decal manufacturing process.

First subject is Oblt. Hans Weik's JG3 A-8:

BM Fw190A-8 WIP3

I chose this subject because of the box artwork. Should be a dark and sinister subject.

BM Fw190A-8 WIP2

I have had this kit in the stash for some time. I discarded the box (kept the artwork) to make packing easier when travelling. Then, left the instructions at home (Oops!). Thankfully I have downloaded a copy.

BM Fw190A-8 WIP4

I am really looking forward to getting into these. This will be the first time I have built one (let alone two) of Eduard's newer series Fw 190's.

Ray

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

the RammJäger is my favorite version of the Fw.190.

Hi Dennis,

I agree (unless it's a Dora). I think this subject was not used as a RammJäger but it does have the armoured canopy. I understand this was later removed due to fogging. Still, a great looking version.

38 minutes ago, franky boy said:

Nice choice of kit and markings Ray. 

The box for this kit is very nice imho

Hi James

Always nice to be sucked in by the box art. Feel like a kid again.

Ray

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Nice choice Ray, great box art and a good fitting kit.

Hi Bob,

Looking forward to getting into this one.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Ray_W changed the title to Two 190 Builds (Part Two): Eduard 1/48 A-8 JG3 Memmingen June 1944
  • 2 weeks later...

A quick update. Part Two (what was originally Part One) - the A-8 is now underway.

I felt like a relaxing evening, listening to podcasts and just cutting, parts preparation and gluing without any painting. Most of this now done.

BM Fw190A-8 WIP7

I replaced the bulkhead harness attachment points. This was the first time I have noticed that Eduard has actually moulded these in place.

BM Fw190A-8 WIP5

I removed the Eduard rendition, drilled the top holes and glued in some fine annealed copper wire. I have left the bottom of the attachment leg unglued until I slip in the PE harness top buckle.

BM Fw190A-8 WIP6

What a simple solution giving a more accurate and robust attachment point. Shout out to @Memphis - thank you for an excellent solution to this problem.

Everything else was straight forward. Bunch of bits and pieces ready for some painting.

BM Fw190A-8 WIP7

Ray

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Sanjuro said:

I hope that the seat still fits in.

I think it is going to work out quite OK. 

BM Fw190A-8 WIP10

BM Fw190A-8 WIP9

Ray

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

really like the harness attachment points, a very nice detail that I can see being copied in the future.

Yes a nice idea from Memphis, I'm going to give more thought to harness attachment points on all future builds. A simple mod I had not thought of before. 

• Like 2

I am ready now to start assembling the major components.

BM Fw190A-8 WIP11

In this case, I went with Eduard instructions which was RLM76 for the wheel wells, With a brown wash they did end up something like RLM02. Maybe I am taking an unplanned each-way bet.

I'll do a little research on what is happening with the spent case chutes. Rather large holes in the lower wing. Might be worth scratching something for the interior.

BM Fw190A-8 WIP12

I still have to add the brake lines. 

BM Fw190A-8 WIP17

I decided to pose the harness a little differently. Also, extended the rudder pedals into the cockpit more than on my previous build. While the pedal attachment is not correct, once in place, it will be hard to see. 

BM Fw190A-8 WIP15

Standard IP. All the vinyl PE has had an RLM 66 wash. Not only to better match the colour, also to tone down the white.

BM Fw190A-8 WIP16

Front face of the prop and spinner

BM Fw190A-8 WIP13

Rear face

BM Fw190A-8 WIP14

Looking forward to gluing it all together.

Ray

• Like 10

14 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Is the spiral on the spinner a decal or painted?

11 hours ago, franky boy said:

I like the backs of the prop blades

Thanks Craig  and James for the kind remarks. Strange to say, I was not happy with how the cockpit turned out. The PE harness seemed to be more springy than usual. I wanted to pose both shoulder straps free of the seat but lost patience after completing the left hand shoulder strap. Hence, the right hand is hanging straight down. Also the cockpit finished too matt for my liking. Or, possibly this is an outcome of excessive white in the images taken under the artificial light. Zipped up in the fuselage I have no such complaints. 

BM Fw190A-8 WIP19

I am really leaning more and more to mostly painted cockpits and Eduard do provide some really very nicely detailed plastic side consoles in the box. 

BM Fw190A-8 WIP20

The PE is convenient and yet painting just seems more "organic"  like my F-105 cockpit.

F-105G WIP55

I plan to not use the PE side panels in my next F-8 build.

I just realised I'll have to stop simply calling my next Fw 190 the "F-8" build. I have two F-8 builds coming up and this one has a lot more detail painting. 😬

F-8E WIP2

So, let's paint the consoles on my next "Fw 190F-8" build.

The spinner spiral is the Eduard kit decal. Old type. Went down very well with Mr Mark Setter (old type). 

Ray

• Like 9

16 hours ago, 81-er said:

really nice progress there

Thanks James. Hope to find some time this evening to keep at it.

Ray

• Like 1

On 01/03/2023 at 09:46, Ray_W said:

I am really leaning more and more to mostly painted cockpits and Eduard do provide some really very nicely detailed plastic side consoles in the box. 

The p/e is trying to represent the right side console with the covers over the switches open, the white stripes represent the switch identifier labels but they should have black lettering on them that would tone them down.  I've used the painted raised detail plastic consoles a couple of times, I would say it looks more realistic unless you have 3D decals.

As for the seatbelts, Eduards steel belts are thinner and can be draped better but are still a little bit springy.

The work you've done on the A-8 looks good Ray, have you figured out what you are doing with those big 30mm cartridge case ejection ports?

• Like 1