Maritime newbie seeking suggestions for WW2 submarines

2996 Victor

Apologies if this question has been asked before, and also that it's extremely subjective!

I've only once built a ship model, about forty years ago, and I can't remember which vessel it was or the kit manufacturer!

However, I've long been interested in WW2 submarines, U-boats are the obvious subjects, but I'm particularly drawn to the exploits of RN submarines such as those based in Malta and Alexandria.

As a newbie to maritime modelling, I'd be keen to know what submarine kits are available in, say 1:350, that are essentially accurate, not too testing, and whole hull (are waterline subs even available?).

Any thoughts and suggestions would be very welcome.

Cheers,

Mark

Its 144th but I've heard good things about the ICM Type XXIII U-boat. Is a small coastal type so about the same size as a 350th model of a larger type.

There is a Brengun photoetch set available too if you want more of a challenge.

Edited by Tim R-T-C
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Tim R-T-C said:

Its 144th but I've heard good things about the ICM Type XXIII U-boat. Is a small coastal type so about the same size as a 350th model of a larger type.

There is a Brengun photoetch set available too if you want more of a challenge.

Hi Tim,

I'd be happy with 1:144th, but probably wouldn't want to go larger because of space implications! And I'm relatively happy with etch - its a love-hate relationship! - so that sounds positive, too. I'll have a look at it.

Many thanks,

Mark

Hi there, maybe take a look at Starling models, they have some RN subs that might be of interest to you, and check out the recent HMS Surf by @robgizlu as well for an idea of what's possible,  its a great build, look forward to see what you decide on, good luck👍🏻

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Rich75 said:

Hi there, maybe take a look at Starling models, they have some RN subs that might be of interest to you, and check out the recent HMS Surf by @robgizlu as well for an idea of what's possible,  its a great build, look forward to see what you decide on, good luck👍🏻

Hi Rich,

many thanks for your suggestion - I'll browse Starling's website later. I've had a look at @robgizlu's S Class and "Wow!" what a fabulous build and just the kind of thing I would like to try out, although I think the base is way beyond me so a stand of some sort would be necessary instead.

Thanks again and best regards,

Mark

Hi Mark - heard my name being mentioned!  The Starling sub is tremendous.  I would not be put off by a base - it's easier than it looks and if I can do it - anyone can!!  I explain my methods in every build which are themeselves derived froma a fabulous marine modeller Chris Flodberg.

FWIW the Revell 1/144 U-boats are big items and realy need etch aftermarket stuff to show them off at their best.

As well as the S-Class from Starling models you'll see a T Class which looks super.  @whitestar12chris is the Sub supremo, so maybe he'll chip in with thoughts.

And thanks for your nice comments.  

Regards

Rob

• Like 2

Hi Mark

RN WW2 submarines in 1/350 are a bit thin on the ground.

Starling models do excellent S & T class whole hull models which i would add to your stash and build up to them.

There was a russian produced resin U-class in 1/350 again a lot of work also someone else produced one.

Mirage hobby do a variety of U-Class in 1/400 which are relatively cheap and i would recommend them as a start to practice on, they do contain PE.

There is HMS Undine (pick up the one with the resin bow), also ORP Sokol is a U-class which you can use to depict other boats.

There are some oop resin models in 1/400. 

If you need any reference material drop me a line.

I have on the go a build of HMS Upholder in 1/400 where i am correcting the Mirage kit to depict here more accurately.

All the best Chris

• Like 2

Hi chaps,

many thanks for your replies!

1 hour ago, robgizlu said:

The Starling sub is tremendous.  I would not be put off by a base - it's easier than it looks and if I can do it - anyone can!!  I explain my methods in every build which are themeselves derived froma a fabulous marine modeller Chris Flodberg.

FWIW the Revell 1/144 U-boats are big items and realy need etch aftermarket stuff to show them off at their best.

As well as the S-Class from Starling models you'll see a T Class which looks super.  @whitestar12chris is the Sub supremo, so maybe he'll chip in with thoughts.

And thanks for your nice comments.

Thanks for this, Rob, that's good to know! I think from what I've seen/gleaned so far, 1/144 might be far too big for me! I'm used to thinking in terms of aeroplanes whose sizes are a bit different! I've had a quick look at Starling, and then Googled the two sub classes they do: both look great and I think would fit my bill. Although, as @whitestar12chris mentions, I'd probably be wise to start off with something a bit cheaper.....

Oh, and credit where its due! :) 

1 hour ago, whitestar12chris said:

RN WW2 submarines in 1/350 are a bit thin on the ground.

Starling models do excellent S & T class whole hull models which i would add to your stash and build up to them.

There was a russian produced resin U-class in 1/350 again a lot of work also someone else produced one.

Mirage hobby do a variety of U-Class in 1/400 which are relatively cheap and i would recommend them as a start to practice on, they do contain PE.

There is HMS Undine (pick up the one with the resin bow), also ORP Sokol is a U-class which you can use to depict other boats.

There are some oop resin models in 1/400. 

If you need any reference material drop me a line.

I have on the go a build of HMS Upholder in 1/400 where i am correcting the Mirage kit to depict here more accurately.

Thanks, Chris, that sounds like sage advice! I've not had a lot of experience with resin kits, and I certainly wouldn't want to muck one up! I'm a bit obsessive with scales and I like to keep models to comparable sizes :mental: hence all my 'planes are 1/72, but 1/400 sounds pretty close :D so I'll have a look for the Mirage kits - would you say that they're generally accurate? Apologies if I've missed it, but is your Upholder build on BM?

Many thanks for your offer of reference material, that's enormously appreciated, thank you.

All the best,

Mark

Hi,

In terms of a practice sub in 1/350 could I recommend Revells type VII, usually less than a tenner from Amazon, lots of detail which may be over scale but is then ideal for practice washes etc and you can get a small etch set from Eduard for again around a tenner,

here's my completed build,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, S-boat 55 said:

Hi,

In terms of a practice sub in 1/350 could I recommend Revells type VII, usually less than a tenner from Amazon, lots of detail which may be over scale but is then ideal for practice washes etc and you can get a small etch set from Eduard for again around a tenner,

here's my completed build,

Many thanks for this and the link to your build - that's an excellent model, if I may say so! As for being a good model to cut my teeth on, that's a great suggestion and one I'll definitely be following up! Watch this space, as they say.....well, the WiP forum, anyway :) 

Mark

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S-boat 55 said:

Revells type VII

A quick and dirty internet search has thrown out some camouflaged examples that served in the Mediterranean, which look nice and interesting! Thanks again for an excellent steer :)

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

A quick and dirty internet search has thrown out some camouflaged examples that served in the Mediterranean, which look nice and interesting! Thanks again for an excellent steer :)

Cheers,

Mark

Your welcome, thanks for the compliments as well, look forward to seeing yours, 

• Like 1

Mikro Mir do some interesting subs, including M1 and the K class. Also OKB Grigov make some interesting resin subs including the British R, B and C class early boats. I built an R and C class as my first resin subs and they were very good. Polar Bear kits from Russia make two different U class subs. They take a bit more work, but they are good and sometimes available on that well known auction website. I agree about Starling Models, I have built the T class and it had fantastic detail and went together well.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Flintstone said:

Mikro Mir do some interesting subs, including M1 and the K class. Also OKB Grigov make some interesting resin subs including the British R, B and C class early boats. I built an R and C class as my first resin subs and they were very good. Polar Bear kits from Russia make two different U class subs. They take a bit more work, but they are good and sometimes available on that well known auction website. I agree about Starling Models, I have built the T class and it had fantastic detail and went together well.

Many thanks for these pointers - I'll have a look for the manufacturers you've mentioned. Nice to know about Starling - are there any photos of your T Class?

All the best,

Mark

9 hours ago, Flintstone said:

Mikro Mir do some interesting subs, including M1 and the K class. Also OKB Grigov make some interesting resin subs including the British R, B and C class early boats. I built an R and C class as my first resin subs and they were very good.

Some nice models there and very tempting, particularly the OKB Grigorov resin boats.

1 hour ago, 2996 Victor said:

Polar Bear kits from Russia make two different U class subs. They take a bit more work, but they are good and sometimes available on that well known auction website.

There seem to be a few Polar Bear sub kits on that site at present: they look like they need a bit more work, but the ones I found were a bit modern! I'll keep looking, though.....

Thanks again and all the best,

Mark

Mark,

Regarding my T class (and the R and C for that matter), I need to photograph them and start using a photo sharing site. I haven't posted any pictures yet, so time to learn!

I also really enjoyed making the Mikro Mir M1 and the colour scheme is great. 

Mikro Mir also make HMS Meteorite, which was a salvaged U-boat powered by a Walter Hydrogen Peroxide turbine. This kit and the R and C boats make an interesting comparison with any SSBN!

The Polar Bear kits all seem to have a casting seam running around them at approximately the waterline level that need a bit of care and the resin seems a little bumpy, but they do come up fine. I have yet to make my U Class, but the Oberon seemed to go well.

One other option is the diecast metal models made by Agostini (I think). They include Ultor and Safari, but they have one side with cut-away areas with some interior detail. The railings and some details would need to be replaced. They also include US, German, Russian, Japanese, French and Polish boats from WW2.

Final thought for you, Tamiya and AFV Club do some great Japanese subs including the giant I400.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Flintstone said:

Mark,

Regarding my T class (and the R and C for that matter), I need to photograph them and start using a photo sharing site. I haven't posted any pictures yet, so time to learn!

I also really enjoyed making the Mikro Mir M1 and the colour scheme is great. 

Mikro Mir also make HMS Meteorite, which was a salvaged U-boat powered by a Walter Hydrogen Peroxide turbine. This kit and the R and C boats make an interesting comparison with any SSBN!

The Polar Bear kits all seem to have a casting seam running around them at approximately the waterline level that need a bit of care and the resin seems a little bumpy, but they do come up fine. I have yet to make my U Class, but the Oberon seemed to go well.

One other option is the diecast metal models made by Agostini (I think). They include Ultor and Safari, but they have one side with cut-away areas with some interior detail. The railings and some details would need to be replaced. They also include US, German, Russian, Japanese, French and Polish boats from WW2.

Final thought for you, Tamiya and AFV Club do some great Japanese subs including the giant I400.

Many thanks, Kevin, that's great. I'd really like to see pics of your T, R and C boats. (Incidentally, I use Postimages for photo hosting and find it easy to get on with.)

Meteorite sounds interesting - I wonder how the Jacks felt serving aboard an enemy boat? I think I might follow it up though, as it sounds like a nice project with an intriguing history.

I did consider the cast models, but I'm primarily a kit-builder (and occasionally scratch for simple things) so set that idea aside. However, it could be a good way to have an example on the shelf pending a kit-built version.

I need to look into the Tamiya and AFV Club kits - I wasn't aware of them doing subs!

Mark