What Do You Prefer?

ScottE

Well it's time to mask the canopy for my 1/48 F80. What I am wondering what do most modelers prefer masking tape or liquid mask? I have various sizes of Tamiya masking tape, and Humbrol liquid mask. I've used the Humbrol on a  Star Trek 1/350 USS Enterprise with good results. Any suggestions are welcome. Tanks

Definitely tape.  I'm not averse to making my own masks, but since Eduard released their Tface double-sided mask sets, I've become an addict.  They're awesome :yes:

I usually use both - I use very thin strips of tamiya to define the edges of the frame, then fill in with a liquid mask. This is useful for ensuring that you get a crisp edge even when the frame moulding is not well defined.

I prefer to use Mr Masking Sol-R over Humbrol. This is because I dip my canopies in future. Humbrol contains ammonia which doesn't play nicely with Future, whereas Sol-R doesn't ... Sol-R can also be thinned with water, which is sometimes useful.

Cheers

Colin

Hi Scott,

0.4mm and 0.7mm Aizu tape for masking the edges of my 1/48 canopies, then any of the Tamiya rolls to fill in.

Or else, the 40mm rolls of Tamiya tape cut to any tiny sizes with the Infini Easycutting type A mat, if/when the shipping price for the Aizu tapes go bonkers.

I don't get along any well with liquid mask.

Cheers.

Depending on the canopy (assuming no Eduard or such precut masks are available), I either use Scotch Magic Tape (frosted) or Tamiya masking tape. If the former, I place a piece of tape over the panel and carefully cut along the edges with a sharp No. 11. If the latter, thin strips with pointed ends laid along the edges. I always fill the unmasked areas in the middle with Tamiya roll tape cut as necessary.

If the edges of the canopy frame are well defined I use Bare Metal Foil. Cover the canopy with it then rub it down firmly into the edges of the canopy frame and then cut it with a very sharp knife. Otherwise I use thin strips of Tamiya tape to define the outline and fill in the rest with bits of tape and then run Liquid Mask over the joints to seal them.

• Like 1

To tell the truth I've used both with success. Early on I was a brush painter and when the air brush hit for me anyway was the early 70's. I used masking tape. That gave me fits because it left glue bits on the model. I was told by a automobile painter about artists tape. Was a very thin tape with low tack. Now a days its called painters tape. I would make stripes and outline canopies, stripes on cars and so on. Small canopies I'd tape and use liquid mask. Large canopies just tape. I do today just tape even on the large canopies and area to mask off. So I would guess it would be your own personal preference on which you use and are comfortable using.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

My preference is for tape just so I don't have to wait for the mask to dry. I'd rather start with a precut masks, especially if there's a sealant edge like on a F-8 Crusader or a lot of little panels like a B-29. The fill may be liquid or tape depending on how easy it is to tape..  However, if I have no precut mask and smaller windows like camera ports or clear seeker heads on missiles I'll just use a liquid mask. Bulged windows where tape may have a problem conforming or staying attached is another case for liquid mask.

Tamiya Tape and Fisher Scientific Parafilm.

And also Shilouette Portrait cutter to cut my own masks when needed, plus masking fluid on areas to 'fill in' the mask.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I use bostic self adhesive plumbers tape and a sharp scalpel. It comes in a 50mm or 75mm wide roll, isn’t too dear and is malleable enough that you can burnish it on to any surface

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/354659535271?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=5282-175127-2357-0&ssspo=akoZzqQmTlO&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=VGICMH_DRRi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

2731B14C-AA2D-46D7-94EC-7413D45BB13B.jpg

1EA8DCFF-4AA8-420E-BF00-79E115BD421D.jpg

Edited by Marklo

• 3 weeks later...

If a precut mask is not available, I use Tamiya tape cut to 1mm width to outline the panel, then fill with either more tape or liquid mask (if a large area). 

If I need more than one of a subject I’ll draw the shapes and then use my Silhouette Portrait to cut as many as I need. 

Tim