MISTERCRAFT (KP/KOPRO/SMER) SU-22 1/48 POLISH AF

Massimo

Hi mates,

during the long time I was …missing, I started a few new projects , but I never found the occasion/time/dedication to share them. Loading pics and all that was time consuming, even because I used to load them onto Imgur ..one by one!!!!!!

Now I understood you can just select more and loade them at the same time!!!!! So instead of Hours, it now takes seconds. I’ll never be able to handle a SW for 3D printing!!!!!

By the way, one of the new projects is the SU22. I don’t know why, but I’ve never been a fan of Russian Aircraft, but having built a Gannet and having on my stack other Ugly maxchines, I thought this was ugly enough to go for it. It was one of those things you decide to buy very quickly because you can’t leave the rest of your life without, YOU MUST HAVE IT!!!

So, after having explored a little the market offers for this aircraft, I opted for the cheaper option, the old KP/Kopro/ SMER kit, re-boxed by ….MISTERCRAFT, which would give me the chance to have fun with added detail from scratch.

7TMdEUu.jpg

I also bought some aftermarket so the word “cheap” belongs to the past, but there are some items around you can’t leave for other modellers…. YOU MUST HAVE THEM!!!

These items were the following:

1.      PART PE fret , including air brakes , interior,

ZcagMqW.jpg

2.      Master pitot,

3dTRbJd.jpg

3.      Pavla ejection seat

fdPG1jI.jpg?1

4.      Karaya resin set,

HNZhrD9.jpg

5.      Yahuu printed PE instrument panel.

wYignkk.png

6.      Reskit engine nozzle

lwLW3ZF.jpg

7.      LP ladder, platform and chocks.

D8RxGKx.jpg

8.      Reskit rocket launchers

JPLbbWR.jpg

9.      Modelmaker SU-22 Polish AF special decals sheet

6twmF0N.jpg

10.   Modelmaker Su-22 Polish stencils decals sheet

iC4bpc4.jpg

That’s it!!!

VERY CHEAP!!!!!!

Ciao

Massimo

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Good evening to you all!

It may look like I’ve woken up from ibernation (and it’s partly so!!!) and thrown myself in multiple projects, but it isn’t true!

As some one said on my Jaguar topic, it’s been a looong time and thus I’m just sharing the pics of the projects I started in the last three years.

Back to this build, I got started by replacing the air brakes’ bays, which are quite basics, using the PE parts.

OraafWU.jpg

To fit them, I had to drill out the existing ones and shape the openings to house the folded PE bays.

gh6J7Fb.jpg

1opZpPp.jpg

IjsO7ho.jpg

xVGUwpU.jpg

AdQjeUA.jpg

The etched bays had to be folded and bowed, before being glued with CA glue. To beef them up I sticked some paper tape around the sides and filled the back with CA glue and flour. This created a solid back for them.

lZDRTmi.jpg

maN6pFB.jpg

More etched parts were added then, as per Part instruction sheet.

oLXtOsf.jpg

30IYmtw.jpg

Finally the new bays were glued to the interior of the fuselage halves.

0vDjEKY.jpg

FZhP378.jpg

Airbrakes were assembled next and left aside for better times to come.

joZk4nV.jpg

As some of you may know by now, easy life isn’t for the modeller in me, thus I couldn’t resist the temptation and drilled the opening for the engine bays.

4irrFz3.jpg

ha3vrsw.jpg

Next on my list were the auxiliary air intakes, which I wanted to depict in the open position. Same procedure: drilling and filing.

zfzHw6l.jpg

bBAk3g2.jpg

HpWrzuA.jpg

This is it for now.

Thanks for watching.

Ciao

Massimo

• Like 10

22 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

I presume you will be going for deployed air brakes after all that :). Very nice.

Regards,

Adrian

Correct, and some more panels open here and there. More of it Tomorrow. Time to sleep now!!😴

• Like 1

Hi all,

Another update on my SU-22 build.

After I had opened the engine bays, and having purchased the LP ladder and platform, I decided to open the radio bay. I started by cutting the panel at the rear of the cockpit and glued some plasticard to create the bay’s walls.

ULejoxW.jpg

Then I added some detail form the usual strips and rods, cable and some panels from a PE fret.

qaKOmAL.jpg

0B3DnJv.jpg

JF7rvfz.jpg

I didn’t like the kit cockpit , so I decided to build a frame from scratch to support the Yahuu PE panels.

This is quite basic and not much detail at this stage, just want to proceed in different areas inside the fuselage, so sooner or later the time to glue the two halves will come. The PE rail for the ejection seat wasn’t very good and…straight, so I decided not to use it and did something from scratch, but I have no pictures of it right now.

jLROt8B.jpg

To create the cockpit interior I had to bend the Yahuu instrument panels to shape and use them for several dry fit tests.

k8hSgT1.jpg

wpBsmIY.jpg

QG5JxM5.jpg

To check the cockpit depth, I did a dryfit trial with the ejection seat and the canopy in place.

0QpnQO0.jpg

V1fMONk.jpg

Hinges and doors were built from scratch, using the usual plastic card and strips, adequately  shaped.

rYl6fmg.jpg

Z0sVn4K.jpg

At this stage, I decided it was time for some paint and started with a black layer to the Air brakes’ bays.

fWBw5ip.jpg

I then proceeded with alluminium for the air brakes, followed by Future, then a wash with Tamiya brown accent panel lines liquid and finally a layer of satin clear.

rG2ET5K.jpg

iHKkEWj.jpg

I1NzaDM.jpg

Air intake interior,

fWBw5ip.jpg

Radio bay: black first, followed by zinc cromate, then all details were hand painted and finally a layer of satin clear.

0B3DnJv.jpg

299jJ95.jpg

ksMtfl0.jpg

6VV2C0u.jpg

This is it for now.

Thanks for watching.

Ciao

Massimo

• Like 9

There is some wonderful work going on here, Massimo. I admire your determination to get all that detail in to the kit. I can’t imagine attempting all that in 1/72! All that PE would give me nightmares ;). I am looking forward to seeing her come together :)

Martin

• Thanks 1

Good evening all!

Another update on the works I did on this SU-22: Tail time.

The kit tail wasn’t exactly perfect, thus some work needed to be done.

qKZFgOY.jpg

osNhijq.jpg

Using  the Kagero volume for this aircraft, and various pictures found on the Net, I started by cutting the rudder and the landing chute’s container end  off.

The rudder will be positioned  slightly offset for more dynamism and the chute container’s doors will be open ready to house a landing chute for the next flight.

Eq6UDgn.jpg

qRJqJmT.jpg

nqiMqrO.jpg

I wasn’t happy with the shape of the pointed boom at the rear  so a Sparrow came to help.

x6yXbbf.jpg

I drilled a square hole on each side of the tail intake and added the PE grills.

5jP6ZSq.jpg

h0X857H.jpg

3npHot7.jpg

The rudder was re-shaped and rivets were added.

I added some hinges made from scratch to the main tail , then drilled them from the bottom and top to insert a brass rod which allows the rudder to move. I’ll glue it into position once the rest is done.

4ZVdoNI.jpg?1

2cASHEF.jpg

3bOALog.jpg

6qy6G4n.jpg

jUlX8uS.jpg

I add some detail to the interior of the chute housing.

jvTiLvR.jpg

Then I built the chute doors and fitted them to the tail .

NYomhom.jpg

sxpMufS.jpg

oerB07U.jpg

1j2A2Z4.jpg

71PUPZr.jpg

ShwyKKD.jpg

5CFsBTf.jpg

RCfpvF6.jpg

The chute doors will be painted and added at the very end of the project, not to get them damaged.

8j6MSO2.jpg

The tail section was glued to the back of one fuselage half.

olkMmAd.jpg

J26FOCT.jpg

ZGf8ebL.jpg

rTvpA0D.jpg

GNQC9Mm.jpg

This is it for Tonight!

Good night!!!

Massimo

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...