Airfix 1:72 Messerschmitt Bf109 E-4

1 hour ago, Troy Smith said:

Note Revell 45 is a very good match for RLM 02

@Casey  maybe able to add some more.   

Not for Revel.

But if you are interested, I've placed precise measurements of RLM colors from reputable sources in current FW190 group build thread:

There are some paint recipes in this thread but they are for paints vendor I am using - in the same group build I am making a pair of FW190's (slowly) so I will inevitably show how those paints work in practice.

• Thanks 1

The weekend was busier than expected, so not a lot of progress. I've got the last of the decals on now, sealed them with a coat of gloss, and have done the panel lining with a lighter touch than my last model.

Still to do is spray a matte coat, add some minor weathering - I'll only really be doing exhaust smoke, maybe a little streaking around the vents on the under belly, and some soot around the nose cannons. Possibly a little chipping on the canopy frame. I'll see how I feel as I don't like too heavy a weathering job (often called 'grimdark' in my usual niche of the modelling hobby!). Then a final matte coat to seal it all in and I'm done!

My mind is starting to turn to what I could have done better, and what I'll do differently to next time around!

Here's a photo of the progress to date:

spacer.png

• Like 5

Today's update!

Matte coats on. I'm always so pleased by how much better the model looks after this coat dries. Then a little light weathering added, and the radio antenna added with lycra thread.

I've to pop the prop on as the final step, which I'll do once its matte coats have had a good chance to cure.

The cockpit reveals the canopy issues, which I'm going to work hard to improve on my next build. Spots where the frames seem thicker are where I had to fill gaps. The canopy was a struggle for me on this one, not least because the pieces weren't 'square' and had twisted/warped in the manufacturing process. I need to be a bit more fastidious in my masking, plus I need to score the masks with a blade before peeling the paint so as not to damage that when taking them off. I modified that approach mid way here.

Overall, canopy aside, I'm happy with the end result. I've learned a lot from this kit, much more than the 1:72 Spit, so hopefully will be able to make a better stab at the next one.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Things I need to keep in mind for my next build:

-Be much more careful and considered with all steps of the canopy.

-Spend a bit more time setting out my building and painting order, so don't end up breaking bits off.

-Consider how to better avoid step lines on colour borders.

I'd also appreciate any feedback on other areas I need to think about to improve for my next build.

• Like 3

And the finished article!

I realised I've taken almost every photo of the port side, so here's starboard!

spacer.png

spacer.png

I think that's it for this build. Thanks to everyone who's followed along and offered advice and tips, it's all very much appreciated! Any further comments, critiques and suggestions are welcomed - I'm always trying my best to improve.

Up next, I'm torn between the Airfix FW190 or Spit Mk Vc in 1:72. I'm leaning to the Focke Wulf, as I see there's a group build running for that model right now!

I've posted some final photos of the build over on the Ready for Inspection forum here:

Edited by Hammer2023
  • Like 6

This is super smart, you've done a great job with the mottling and the whole build lives up to the promise of your fantastically painted pilot. A suggestion if I may, the Eduard 1/72 FW190 is a great little kit, go on treat yourself, you know your want to!

• Like 1

On 28/01/2023 at 02:50, Troy Smith said:

I trust neither Vallejo or AK, or any of the Spanish paint companies to accurately match anything. 

The paints have to be of a specific nationality for you to like them, or is it simply enough that they are not Spanish? 

2 hours ago, Andrés S. said:

The paints have to be of a specific nationality for you to like them, or is it simply enough that they are not Spanish? 

Not meantvas a slur against a nation, The actual paint is fine,  it's their colour matching I have an issue with.   Vallejo, AK and Mig all seem to have serious problems in matching paint standards, hence my comment about Spanish companies.  A noted colour researcher supplied samples and advice to AK, had problems and later found out they wre using daylight  bulbs to match.  You think a large model paint company could afford a spectrometer and obtain the relevant paint samples, but apparently not.

Since the OP  was using Vallejo i mentioned this.   That said, Xtracrylix, a British  brand are poor on many of their British matches, and Humbrol are hit and miss. Tamiya are poor in their stated matches.  I don't care where the paint comes from as long as it works as paint, and it says it's say, RLM 02, it actually resemble paint chips that I have.  If I liked enamel, I'd just buy Colourcoats as their owner @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies is the only paint company I know does proper research and is a regular poster here and not spend time mixing acrylic paint to match.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Not meantvas a slur against a nation, The actual paint is fine,  it's their colour matching I have an issue with.   Vallejo, AK and Mig all seem to have serious problems in matching paint standards, hence my comment about Spanish companies.  A noted colour researcher supplied samples and advice to AK, had problems and later found out they wre using daylight  bulbs to match.  You think a large model paint company could afford a spectrometer and obtain the relevant paint samples, but apparently not.

Since the OP  was using Vallejo i mentioned this.   That said, Xtracrylix, a British  brand are poor on many of their British matches, and Humbrol are hit and miss. Tamiya are poor in their stated matches.  I don't care where the paint comes from as long as it works as paint, and it says it's say, RLM 02, it actually resemble paint chips that I have.  If I liked enamel, I'd just buy Colourcoats as their owner @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies is the only paint company I know does proper research and is a regular poster here and not spend time mixing acrylic paint to match.

I can only tell you this:

Well,  for ANA 601 I prefer MRP-135, for Dark Green I prefer Tamiya XF-81, for Sand Yellow FS-30400 I prefer Lifecolor, for Dark Eggplant Gray I prefer RC-242 AK Real Color, for Zinc Cromate Yellow I prefer AMMO's reference 221 and for aluminum that of Alclad although for white aluminum I think AK Extreme Metal is better.

Andrés.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hammer2023 said:

Today's update!

Matte coats on. I'm always so pleased by how much better the model looks after this coat dries. Then a little light weathering added, and the radio antenna added with lycra thread.

I've to pop the prop on as the final step, which I'll do once its matte coats have had a good chance to cure.

The cockpit reveals the canopy issues, which I'm going to work hard to improve on my next build. Spots where the frames seem thicker are where I had to fill gaps. The canopy was a struggle for me on this one, not least because the pieces weren't 'square' and had twisted/warped in the manufacturing process. I need to be a bit more fastidious in my masking, plus I need to score the masks with a blade before peeling the paint so as not to damage that when taking them off. I modified that approach mid way here.

Overall, canopy aside, I'm happy with the end result. I've learned a lot from this kit, much more than the 1:72 Spit, so hopefully will be able to make a better stab at the next one.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Things I need to keep in mind for my next build:

-Be much more careful and considered with all steps of the canopy.

-Spend a bit more time setting out my building and painting order, so don't end up breaking bits off.

-Consider how to better avoid step lines on colour borders.

I'd also appreciate any feedback on other areas I need to think about to improve for my next build.

If I may suggest....I often add a tint of gray (RLM 02 0n Luft with light gray on everybody elses) into a finishing coat on a painted model (either before or after decals...depending on when I remember ahem) I find the slight tint "pulls the whole thing together" and just lightly takes the overly brightness out of the colours which I think gives a better ambience... (Then again for years I suffered cataracts so it might just be me...) Paint and colour technology these days are much more 'evolved' and brighter than those of the past so I like to tone things down a bit and as artists say..never use pure white or black. 

Again a suggestion only, HTH 

• Like 1