Scimitar Ejection Seat Photographs

Scimitar F1

The Scimitar had a MB Mk4c ejection seat and can I find good photographs - not a chance. I have found one on Thunder and Lightnings taken through the canopy of the Yeovilton example.

Does anyone have photographs or the contact details for the chap who has a restored cockpit of one? We have tried Martin Baker themselves with no luck.

Many Thanks in Advance!

Will

Try the BDAC Museum at Old Sarum. They have a Scimitar cockpit - Exhibits (boscombedownaviationcollection.co.uk).  I went there for a model show last summer and it's a great museum to clamber into a number of cockpits. Might be worth a drive from Kent.  Can't remember he state of the seat in the Scimitar though.

6 hours ago, neilh said:

Try the BDAC Museum at Old Sarum. They have a Scimitar cockpit - Exhibits (boscombedownaviationcollection.co.uk).  I went there for a model show last summer and it's a great museum to clamber into a number of cockpits. Might be worth a drive from Kent.  Can't remember he state of the seat in the Scimitar though.

Thanks - looking at photographs it is a little bare but we are planning a visit.

12 hours ago, neilh said:

Try the BDAC Museum at Old Sarum. They have a Scimitar cockpit...

I wouldn't like to trust that as a source, the cockpit is actually of a rare prototype 544 machine, it may never have had a 4C seat, and really there's no saying if it has a Scimitar type seat fitted at all.

MB MK4s are very common, having been used on Lightnings, Sea vixens, Hunters, J Provosts etc, but the sub variant is important and can look quite different to other variants.

@Scimitar F1 I would make a request to the FAA Museum if you need to get this right, they might even have a 4C seat out in their large storage facility, or have taken pictures of their Scimitar cockpit, or even manuals.

There used to be a seat collector (Nick?) that had a great collection of MB seats and had a very illustrative webpage, but I can't find it anymore, sadly.

15 minutes ago, 71chally said:

@Scimitar F1 I would make a request to the FAA Museum if you need to get this right, they might even have a 4C seat out in their large storage facility,

Thanks @71chally That is exactly what I have done. Fingers crossed!

There appears to be different types that the Scimitar was fitted with - am thinking did they use the same seat as the Sea Vixen? They would have served on carriers at the same time.

Doubt they were exactly the same and certainly different type designations.  The Sea Vixen seats are a minefield in themselves, there being at least four different sub-variants, and of course the observers seat was different to the pilots seat.

I know the Scimitar went through at least one seat mod. but don't know if that made it look different.