The Banshees of Inisherin

One 48

Thought I'd mention this here as a highly recommended watch.

It was actually recommended to me by a respected movie friend after I mentioned I'd enjoyed watching "Waking Ned Divine" again, there are similarities I suppose, but Waking Ned Divine is pure feel good comedy, The Banshees of Inisherin has feel good moments and is a comedy (come drama) but is a bit darker too, a darker comedy for sure!

Its well worth the watch though and I love the location and period scenery and photography.

Its a good un IMHO and a refreshing change from the usual formula of re-boots and re-pops, its as original a film I've seen in a long time.

• 4 weeks later...

I watched it the other day and was a bit underwhelmed, to be honest. Beautifully shot, very well-acted (even Colin Farrell, for the once!), interesting dialogue, etc.  

The problem I had with it was it just seemed pretty, well.... pointless. What did it say about the way people interact with each other? Not a great deal, from where I'm sitting. Other viewers' experiences might well differ, but it was all very "navel-gazing" for me. 

I thought "In Bruges" was a very good film (same principle cast and director / writer, I believe). 

Chris. 

• Like 2

I have it on Blu Ray now, when a film intrigues me or I like it, it gets a Blu Ray purchase, and that's just part of the collector in me. I'm mostly Blu Ray now but still some classics on DVD not available on this format I still keep, also 4K Blu's now, its never ending LOL, hundreds of them, its embarrassing :)

My Scale Modelling stash is embarrassing and so is my physical media movie stash too. I'm a keen home cinema enthusiast as well ... I suppose :)

I'm still to watch The Banshees of Inisherin at home on my own big screen and as a second watch, its usually on these second or third watches I really digest the details or nuances a good film has and it starts to mature on me, but I have a feeling this one will be in my long term likes after another watch or two spaced over time.

Its an odd flick for sure Chris, but it struck a chord with me, thanks for your feedback 👍

My daughter and I watched it, we really liked it, though no real idea what was going on!  Maybe the utter pointlessness of the main protagonists' hostility and actions was the whole point.  All I could think was that perhaps it is meant to be an allegory of the Irish Civil War?

Hopefully there's an Oscar for best miniature donkey in a supporting role...

• Like 1

LOL, yes the Poney (he called it) ... and thats a just a subtle hint to how wonderfully daft this film is, was very cute, looking into the window, begging to come inside beside the fire :)

I still cant make head nor tail of the film, but I suspect that's part of its charm.

Maybe it's a very good thing, to have a film so open to personal interpretation and nuanced reflection.

Let's face it, Hollywood flicks are so UTTERLY unflinching in their manipulation of the story, they make it abundantly clear what we should be thinking about their narrative. At least "Banshees" doesn't follow the same path and more power to it. 

Chris.   

PS: There's talk of it snagging the Best Picture Oscar - I'll eat my sofa if it does! Having said that, "Everything, Everywhere, All At Once" will probably walk away with the little, bald fella (I was praying for it to end in the cinema... talk about self-indulgent... Oh, Lordy!)

Edited by spruecutter96
Amending some information.
  • Like 1