MARDER III - Sd.Kfz.139 7.62cm Pak 36(r) auf Gw.38t

Afternoon all, managed some time to take some pics of the latest build. Bit of a crash build......build a bit and dash. Here's some quick pics, and sorry for there being no build blog on it. I have a few more hours to finalise as the top section and lower hull are still un-attached for the painting, so I can't add the exhaust etc until I can marry together after painting and add final details.

Really nice kit as always from Tamiya, fell together - no issues anywhere. The Aber set was very basic and didn't fit in many places. The set was for Tamiya, but acted like it was for another brand. Anyway, the biggest disappointment was the R-Model tracks.  Picked them up cheap (£20), but they require the CNC'd pins but came with wire like Friuls, but for the life of me I could not find any that were specific to the 38(t) tracks. So a little mud should be OK to cover up the lack of bolt heads.

pHrjZek.jpg

7WrUuLq.jpg

qEaOOE3.jpg

GstUBGc.jpg

lHQJ300.jpg

EaLUTAE.jpg

Interesting thing to note, neither the Tamiya kit or the Aber upgrade set mentions or supplies the little piston thingy behind the gun lock. Had to build it from scratch with brass tube and some bits of PE from the box of spares.

XgRlkMx.jpg

Should have it finished in a week of two........then it's in line for a prime and paint job :worry:, so catch you all again soon...:yes:, and I'll try and be on more than I have been....

• Like 16

Very nice work.  I looked at this kit a few days ago but resisted ..... 

Look forward to seeing it progress in paint.

Keith  😁

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2023 at 4:55 PM, FrancisGL said:

Hi Redcoat,

Despite all the drawbacks you mention, it looks very complete and interesting. Looking forward to seeing it with paint on top...

Cheers and TC

Francis.👍

Yes Francis, nothing major with the issue's, except the lack of bolt heads on the 38(t) tracks. As regards the paint, that's going to be later in the year when I set up to do painting a few kits in one go.

On 1/23/2023 at 6:29 PM, Keeff said:

Very nice work.  I looked at this kit a few days ago but resisted ..... 

Look forward to seeing it progress in paint.

Keith  😁

Couldn't recommend it enough, as always with Tamiya kits. Nothing like my new project, the Trumpeter Sd.Kfz.7 Early Version. What a nightmare of a kit....last Trumpeter kit I'll be getting. I'll try and do a blog on it if I get some time.

On 1/24/2023 at 7:12 AM, Hamden said:

Looking good Simon can't wait to see it with its war paint on!

Stay safe          Roger

On 1/24/2023 at 9:32 AM, Bullbasket said:

As always Simon, a great looking build. Nice work.

John.

Cheers John......:yes:

On 1/25/2023 at 1:55 PM, Muchmirth said:

Yeah I saw the r-models tracks cheap too and wondered about them being fit for the 38(t). 
   Good job on the marder, looks great!

Great tracks from a casting quality, really nice and sharp. The missing bolt head on one side is an easy fix once burnished and painted. The only issue really is the fit to the drive sprocket.......they don't fit that well to get them to stay on. Luckily I have the Friul drive sprockets from the 38(t) track set I got for my Tamiya Marder III M........so will switch out the kit sprockets. Strange, as I think the Marder III M and this kit are the same parts, as regards the running gear. If you don't have replacements as an option, some sanding of the drive teeth would fix kit parts.....just a bit tedious.

On 1/26/2023 at 8:55 AM, robw_uk said:

stunning as always... looking forward to it being painted

Cheers Rob.....:yes:

Thanks everyone for taking a look, and sorry for the delay in responding.......I'll try and be on more and participate as I use to.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1