New member from Ireland

Hammer2023

Hi!

A quick introduction! I'm Mark, from Ireland. For various reasons, I felt the urge to having a go at making a model aeroplane recently, having not made one since I was doing them with my dad way back in the 90s!

I've been lurking here since starting on this one, and have gleaned quite a few useful tips, so decided to sign up. Here are a couple of photos of my first build since coming back, an Airfix Spitfire Mk I in 1:72.

spacer.pngspacer.png

I'm not a complete model novice, and have been painting various types of toy soldier miniatures on and off for years. I'm a relative novice with an airbrush, though, having only bought one last autumn, but am starting to get a little more competent with its general handling, paint thinning, pressure control etc. I made a mess of the port roundel, having not done a decal in years (decades) and mixed up micro sol and set and used them the wrong way around. The repair is less visible in the flesh, but it was a lesson quickly learned.

Making it was a lot of fun, highly therapeutic, and I'm well and truly hooked now. I've learned a lot from this one, and will modify my approach to a few things on the next one, and it's raised a few questions for me in terms of techniques, mainly regarding decals and canopies, which I've not been able to find an answer to, so will pop a post down in the techniques forum with my queries on that. Hopefully someone will be able to point me in the right direction.

To finish, nice to meet you all! I'm very much looking forward to digging into my next model, an Airfix Bf 109 also in 1:72 scale. I also apologise for my filthy workstation! I've since bought a new large cutting mat to work on, which is far easier to keep clean!

• Like 14

Welcome Mark. Great job with the Spit, I'd be dead chuffed to have made that, let alone as a first model! 

Looking forward to seeing your next one, please do consider posting a work in progress thread, they can be invaluable for picking up hints and tips, and it's nice for other people to see how you're getting on. Workstation... yeah I think we have different interpretations of filthy...

Andy

• Like 1

Welcome Mark, you seem to have got the hang of the airbrush already. Keep  practicing on those cheap Airfix kits before you become go for the complicated kits and get submerged in piles of fret and resin aftermarket accessories. 😉 

I do some figure modelling too. 

Galway based myself.

• Like 1

Welcome Mark from across the Irish Sea in Scotland. That spitfire turned out very nice, I’m working on an old Airfix Spitfire Vb just now and if it turns out like that, I’ll be chuffed. My wife works over in Ireland for an Irish Whiskey distiller and I hope to spend some time visiting there later this year. 

Cheers.

• Like 1