Centurion Mk.3 or the Strv 81

Orso

strv81a_00.JPG 
I have started on a Centurion Mk.3 from ACE
I will build it as a Swedish Strv 81 with the A model gun.

strv81a_01.JPG 
No bigger problems with the kit so far. Some adaption of the holes for alignment pins are needed sometimes. The biggest problem has been the instructions. 
Parts have the wrong part numbers sometimes and there is even missing in the instructions. I was going to add the front plate but it didn't have the part number on the instruction. I looked at the sprues and found one that looked right. I had a look at the Mk.5 instruction and it showed that I found the right part.
But I like this kit. Fine details and parts that fit.

strv81a_02.JPG 
I did a search for Mike Starmer's mixes for the S.C.C.15.  I found two Humbrol and two Tamiya mixes.
As it turned out I only had the paints for one of the Tamiya mixes, so I made a batch that I hope is enough for this model.
The camera shows it greener than it is.

strv81a_03.JPG 
Started to convert the fenders. I found more part that got the wrong number on the instructions. The Mk.5 kit seems to have these fault fixed.
I had problems with the idler wheel assembly. The instructions are unclear on how to mount them. I glued them in the wrong position twice and had to remove them.

Finally I dragged out my dead Airfix build to look at it to understand how I should do. Hopefully I got it right now. Third time lucky.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

strv81a_06.JPG 

To build a Centurion Mk.3 from a Mk.3 kit turned out harder than I thought.
I have now learned that the hatch on the rear of the turret was something carried over from the Mk.2 to early Mk.3 so it has to go.

strv81a_07.JPG

But it was a quick job to remove it. I just wish I had found this out earlier before I added so much stuff to the turret.
At least I haven't painted it yet.

• Like 5