Salty Sea Dog 2023 – Bismarck Evolution

Tomcat101

3 minutes ago, Tomcat101 said:

Honestly, I thought 'Quote' was just that

You can also highlight a section of someone's post and after a second a 'quote selection' button will appear. Useful if you are only replying to a specific point. As I just did 😀

And if you hit the + next to the quote button you can quote many different comments in the one reply. 

And once you quote someone you can go into the quoted text and edit it, even chop it into bits so you can answer each paragraph separately. You have to be careful not to change the sense of the original, obviously.

It took me ages to find all these shortcuts but once you know them (and many more) it becomes much more easy to participate. 

Feel free to experiment because you can always edit your posts if you happen to mess them up. 

And you're very welcome to the primer. I'm happy to help. 🙂

Hi Everyone,

Work on the Bismarck continues.  Focus for this week was the completion and installation of the hanger area complete with internal damage, debris and the addition of the Arado Ar-96. I also worked on the third turret Caesar complete with torn roof, internal damage and a split barrel.  For the first and last turret enclosures I included some extra detail. Next task was scuffing the underside of the hull and painting the deck.  This will also help with the demarcation between the evolutionary segments.  All comments and suggestions are welcome.   

Kind Regards,

Tomcat101   

PMH6sUGRn4Kz4x5SZkQ_GrMR4_F-4M_H_vWTUHfj

GHiQUO_TawJi4WmKJUmUfja0iF43U7eD1Tz3ZDYB

b4vIimM4AC2c0_gXgqHb6F1XR93HbKjWJdTLZu6S

Wm2FxtSdR1-6EW0Vxr-un2rpeW_0II-RUDGwcvFo

l60VPyxlJxwlCZmCWX67Yg3fZnkvaUmFIwDGUZPr

Np1seQop3BKqVJNPX0-2xxIu4Tzd0zyASDk020xP

_g7Ys1aY4aw84r8cjN7WJYgPSpfYdupy5fhuU5tA

OAGKqBoxwoGaAuzTLNlHjO5nVlZ95cDypIaELEbM

wzEXkEBfUF7FoZBvuUy3wh_YFn3szp6dMVYUi-P9

wUls91fiMFmuQy7DO2TMCnyiyDm1W5s9s2Pl9QUe

xL6_r_KC2WVI6v_Wi3hPTzqNRIhZfIh6KbIMwxE-

1rV9aX5uPAS7Csho7GWs1Kwk97N7HmUGrpusiRpx

Iv-yBh7Kl5htst7VD6y6C09vWw4JiuHn4JiBBGRE

VMW0wJ7mTmY1AzH-6-UaQ42uViib6n-A7fccMppB

FxwXz2UfSHQRPRmb9VMOefrfu31ANQEx9JyiTtwi

• Like 5

Gidday @Tomcat101, it's rather sobering to think that in amongst all that torn and ruptured steel there was a lot of human flesh and blood too, many of them still teenagers. I think this is a great project, reminding us of the horrors and tragedy of war. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

On 04/02/2023 at 20:25, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday @Tomcat101, it's rather sobering to think that in amongst all that torn and ruptured steel there was a lot of human flesh and blood too, many of them still teenagers. I think this is a great project, reminding us of the horrors and tragedy of war. Regards, Jeff.

Thank you.  I agree it is a sobering thought and one worth remembering.  I feel when we model we try in a small way to grasp the past to understand and appreciate its significance.  Bismarck and her crew had a short but memorable life but the ship needed to be destroyed, the rest is tragedy.        

• Like 2

On 05/02/2023 at 11:32, Bertie McBoatface said:

Are you enjoying this build? It looks like a lot of fun!

Hi Boaty,

I am.  It's been a struggle, a challenge, but a rewarding one.  I am used to planes.  Not being boastful but I know how to build planes, without even thinking. Ships are a completely different animal. Its the mental challenge I didn't expect.  I am finding I am thinking about building in new ways and I think that the change is good for me.  Perhaps, fingers crossed, it will improve my skills. Thanks for asking.

Regards,

Tomcat101        

• Like 2

Hi Everyone,

As promised here is my weekly update on the Bismarck.  This week I continued painting the main deck.  Once complete, I concentrated on the after section which is intended to represent the battleship at the bottom of the Atlantic.  Using a combination of psyllium powder, white glue, water and some Tamiya Brown Wash I created a gooey concoction and proceeded to dab paint the after deck and down the turret barbette.  About four coats in total.  Between coats I detail painted and weathered the hatches etc.  While hard to capture in the photos I quite like the effect.  From there I have added the chevron stripes along both sides of the hull.  This is primarily for section 3 with the distinctive camouflage scheme.  For the after portions of the hull this will be partially obscured by a grey wash. Finally paint work on the upper works has begun.  Still a long, long way to go but I feel as though progress is being made.  Slowly. That said so much more paint and touch-up to go before I begin the next stage. 

All comments and suggestions welcome. :)

Kind Regards,

Tomcat101

MUkPYiOg6l3GqAv7en_mg66nRKaYNcBZpsCok6PC

10R5rVIchvlZFnYPoxdX1R35bC4Zg7W7UErjYDdL

RpY6enpA20tnpx0oIV8NxGLR21-xNpm1jn0lnwQU 

aB5a_IgG_aJNxGqOzoiPcaTvF1BHIAALzZonfRO-

u7zV8QVL8NlDm7urHzRvLJhiiUn40RYwdZfxpp0Q

hmXeLupmoaI01xryYpaPlHv0v7IZ6parlAWOCcYk

QhzhN1MztPt_DrubEBfeHKod8Pkci05q7BUVqKwi

GqQfasQGhmyQv-rzI2ZjYJ-MP16pOQqfDc4Br9WD

hnMACKnwFGmEvLnDfiyEBOThkUa5PmYWu59KYFSJ

yLeWfitzzaQ-cin4Bi2nRNW3ofbDA07kLSFZMj5I      

• Like 7

Hi Everyone,

This week's effort on my Bismarck model has been all about paint. Paint, paint and more paint.  Not being familiar with building ships I am absolutely amazed by all nooks and crannies requiring paint.  I really had no idea. And the amount of paint.... This model seems to suck it up like a sponge. I will have completed a section of the ship thinking I have painted everything only to discover later I had missed small portions all over the place.  I am discovering everything requires multiple passes and looking at it from every conceivable angle in order to catch everything.  I also know that there is easily as much painting ahead as I have done already and that is excluding the hull.  Ship building is a challenge but a rewarding one.    

That all said I think the model it is finally beginning to look like a ship. Enclosed are pictures for this week.  The bridge , turrets and funnel section have just been positioned for effect and not glued in as yet as I am still working on them and the deck but you get the idea. 

Till next week.  All thoughts and suggestions are welcome and appreciated. Thanks for looking.

Regards,

Tomcat101          

3_1tHwyT2FfBVyaeaZ1tROttoh67KXHJ5QRXqoo9

V7MgB145jB99k-TzKVZAezWF9-LXDjk2GUa_Hpzi

gtmClSVSIgyQZW3dd584Uqo5NeaqjZyifvhTe63F

3Dz3kTSqz-p7UiOBp7Unyh3d7DEIjBw3FmkOEkkA

E7MnthH0S5DAedosEQEThU8ye8UUxOgdCTpf1zMN

08HpvmHDAhdOXNTd0hvPzAzxl67GzGxmW9sJX-xt

ao_NA5W5qG0CjyL0tvdpk-GeQoAiN3QQRSimpuVa

6kjBzedmKnU3vhJlo5Kb1klNmaEm6tflgjBymWNt

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Thom216 said:

That's coming together so great. Really liking the progression.

Thanks I appreciate it.  Slow but steady. :)

8 hours ago, CliffB said:

It's becoming much easier now to visualise the project.  Great stuff :thumbsup2:

Thanks. I am finding I am amending my vision for it as I go. :)

Hi Everyone,

When building a kit I always find there is a tipping point when the model begins to yield to the modeller.  The change, for me at least, is often imperceptible, but it does come.  This weekend that finally happened with the Bismarck.  Thus far the build has seemed painfully slow with each step dependent upon the completion of a multitude of others.  Add to that my limited experience with ships I felt the build, while enjoyable, was also becoming a bit of a grind.  Over the past week or more the battleship just continued to suck up loads of paint with seemingly little result. 

And then the change came. This weekend with the bridge tower, funnel and two turrets glued in the model was finally beginning to look like a ship.  My scratch built crane was also beginning to look a little like the real thing too. 

Perhaps most important to me was that my vision for the kit was finally beginning to take shape and transform from theory to reality. I am under no illusions.  I know there is still a ton to do but I feel at last genuine progress has been made.

All comments and suggestions welcome.

Kindest Regards,

Tomcat101  

jT4ROmkoTvYRUgFjR-wc6sMFXgVNWd-tPpfkeDnz

plP5GJ9zFkxKBEvMQM9F7l4UXou-dUBpv--f6a2j

rn68-iLHWpDZVLXohIMjfy3o19VMHz69XyLw8Jbz

7zGMLl0vkJkG4nNnQ1LXiQDY86iXjTGFhNwSrYv-

lGZTlZ44mER9AzG9DHBalkVO_LsrcEaV2tCgbIlq

y_iP9vbSjenolrNbdHdKnq_nlNNMKzWXrDhOuZVb

SoNF-E5eLxPcdElWftrP4P3ziOZTq52jmD90sD8T

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Tomcat101 said:

When building a kit I always find there is a tipping point when the model begins to yield to the modeller. 

Gidday, I do understand. Generally for me the first major milestone is the hull halves joined, the hull painted and attached to a building block (as I call them). For my current build I had to actually make the hull first. As for getting bogged down I find that generally occurs well into a build when I'm making all the fiddly stuff, such as lockers, hawser reels, bollards and fairleads etc, as well as sub-assemblies. And then comes a time when they all get fitted and a model ship blooms or blossoms.

What you're doing here is quite unusual I think (and courageous, hacking into a model like that). Your construction stage is in two parts actually. You're constructing the hull still, but the turrets wouldn't have been installed until she was afloat - 'fitting out' is the correct term I believe. I think you said that you plan to have "A" turret being lowered into place - an interesting idea. That still fits with your natural progression.

I'm interested in how this will turn out so please continue. Regards, Jeff.

7 hours ago, Tomcat101 said:

And then the change came. This weekend with the bridge tower, funnel and two turrets glued in the model was finally beginning to look like a ship.

This is the bit of ship building that really makes it addicting for me...you spend ages on all the subassemblies and suddenly it all comes together.

Your unique idea has certainly come out really well. The stern decay looks excellent.

Hi Everyone,

Time for my weekly update on the Bismarck.  I must say it’s been a peculiar build.  As I mentioned last time I seem to have turned a corner with this kit, and at long last it seems to be bending my way. This week I began by feeling overwhelmed at the myriad of small parts remaining.  Yet by the end of the week most of these have been accounted for.  Where I am now is wondering how I feel about the build.  One moment I am quite happy with the result and the next disappointed. As I have mentioned previously I find building ships a challenge.  There are so many corners, twists and turns etc. I find whether the results are any good depends on which angle I look at them from.  Some areas look good whereas others, not so much. 

This week I concentrated on the lower hull.  I painted the red hull paint and adding the triple screws.  I then added the psyllium and glue paste to mimic the decay on the ocean bed.  I also added the aircraft catapult as well as some of the secondary and anti-aircraft guns along the deck. I have also been doing touch-ups from stem to stern.  Finally I scratch-built a submersible along with two remotely operated vehicles examining the ship's empty turret and hull.

Before I close I would also very much like to thank everyone who has viewed and commented on the thread thus far.  Your interest guidance and support is very much appreciated.

Kind Regards,  

Tomcat101                                 

R15OwEftR_s3cBOZ7U0mXbAcDiKk1X2Ovz7us33w

rxSowQC5WNEctV5cLSGzZfKgfUi6OsPq9gD5bVhd

JRV3VcdJaPN8EqR6MQRMSRLurinQfSr85dgm-EE7

Aamw9AiSThqnU7xr_Ou7Yu1oixxXjLMAjBZTz2_Z

a7NmrnpAcUyLRBke1ieZIY4CKgPwv9OipPaM5e_i

1aFSVIN6QHVjL7Kusn3gb0cSXsElXEy4Rk6P6rTA

B7HydssR5m-6ynRILCWDkXzLPymHbO6r-Olcirgs

3d0vFu93rhNQRvOry-dur9aYNGHebheOuv3_N2yx

• Like 13

Gidday @Tomcat101, I love that submersible hovering near turret 'Dora'. Not only for what it is but for the spot of colour it adds to a drab coloured area. 👍 And those shell holes look terrific.

One little point with your twin 4.1-inch (10.5cm) heavy AA guns - have you noticed that there are two different types? Although designed to have eight of these mountings the ship was originally fitted with only four, the forward two mountings on either beam. The second four when added were a slightly different model. Have you noticed that four have a sort of 'flat-faceted 'domed' roof right at the back? These were the later model and should be fitted in the aft two positions per side, abaft the catapult. Those four mountings without that domed roof fit in the two forward positions per side, forward of the catapult. So on the port side you need to switch numbers 1 & 3. The mounting you have on the starboard side is one of those that fit abaft the catapult. HTH.

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

Having never seen any subject modelled in this manner I'd say you're forging a fresh path with this one. It's the type of model I'd expect to see mounted in a glass case proudly displayed as a center-piece of a maritime museum with information placards detailing the life of the subject as shown by the stages you're creating. While I don't know your mental image of how you wanted this one to look what I can tell you is that it looks bloody good.

I wasn't sure how this would work when I started reading the thread but now I can see your idea taking shape it's starting to look good.  Some excellent modelling going into this along the way and it certainly is unique. 

I look forward to seeing the finished result. 

17 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday @Tomcat101, I love that submersible hovering near turret 'Dora'. Not only for what it is but for the spot of colour it adds to a drab coloured area. 👍 And those shell holes look terrific.

One little point with your twin 4.1-inch (10.5cm) heavy AA guns - have you noticed that there are two different types? Although designed to have eight of these mountings the ship was originally fitted with only four, the forward two mountings on either beam. The second four when added were a slightly different model. Have you noticed that four have a sort of 'flat-faceted 'domed' roof right at the back? These were the later model and should be fitted in the aft two positions per side, abaft the catapult. Those four mountings without that domed roof fit in the two forward positions per side, forward of the catapult. So on the port side you need to switch numbers 1 & 3. The mounting you have on the starboard side is one of those that fit abaft the catapult. HTH.

Regards, Jeff.

Thanks Jeff. I will definitely correct that. I should have verified it against other sources but in the Academy instructions the image of both types of guns being fitted to the deck plates is inverted so I was unable to see the tops.  Should have looked at the side of the box.

:)        

1 hour ago, Tomcat101 said:

Should have looked at the side of the box.

Gidday, I actually learned of the difference in mountings from the book - "Anatomy of the Ship - Battleship Bismarck". I've done the Revell 1/570 kit of this ship and only the first type is modeled. I didn't know of the second type way back then so didn't alter the others.       Good luck with yours. Regards, Jeff.

Hi Everyone,

Another week has gone by and effort on the Bismarck continues apace.  While a tremendous amount of touch-up work remains most of the build effort is now complete.  Effort this week has been split between the ship and peripherals to finish the project. For stage one, framing and construction, I added bracing to the forward portion of the hull.  Thereafter I decided to scratch build a rig/framing structure.  After some cursory photo searches I got to work.  The framing was constructed with a base and struts made out of sprue from the kit.  At least I can say I built it out of the box. :)  I was hesitant about this step but throughout the build I have been trying to push myself to do things differently.  I am curious to see what people think but I found it a learning experience and I am happy with the result overall. 

The second peripheral item was the decision to construct a podium for the fitting out/launch portion of the evolution.  I made it from the name plates and stand for the model.  Truth be told I despise baseplates, probably because I am hopeless at making them look decent.  In any case, it was an easy decision and with the addition of some styrene strips and the three of the four remaining 15 inch barrels as flagpoles quite fun.  As an aside the forth barrel was added as part of the hull framing. Once the podium and building were fabricated I painted it in a mottled schemed and then created and installed banner flags for effect. 

On the hull I added the remainder of the secondary armaments as well as some of the anti-aircraft guns, search lights and machine guns.  I have also started the life boats and added four to the hull.  The remainder will be built up and then a large portion of these will then be smashed into pieces as part of the Gotterdammerung phase.

Well that’s it for now.  Attached are photos showing progress to date.  Comments and suggestions welcome and thanks to all who have taken a look.

Regards,

Tomcat101  

uj7XszrN4uZL01mId0qmxDBz8Wcce41x6rNRYVMA

DMc4nnnrHblEbj9ZqZphsl72EZ3xTI41cfTVxg82

DMc4nnnrHblEbj9ZqZphsl72EZ3xTI41cfTVxg82

XmOgv2J_2C150wNaIUdTi1ZjMrGliZTnp6zhooK3

enXDXWavVPmfTxHPq4vbRFH-YgXoX_ky2o5Y5Ige

vY54KywLUbAusKyj3fVvC2dhWJ3uwrJRlOo_NoOy

c2DE9EM9TEBGJ69Vf1DogLvCAbJx0ZurXppQ50RZ

t76HwnFkwAMHrScvY9zvK1VctVoWiLxc-OQX62eW

• Like 9