Salty Sea Dog 2023 – Bismarck Evolution

Tomcat101

Hi Everyone,

I blame it on Youtube!

A little over two years ago I began watching video clips of 1/200 scale model warships (HMS Hood, HMS Rodney and the like).  While a dedicated aircraft builder I was immediately hooked on the idea of building a massive warship and thought to myself it would be a great retirement project.  Alas as retirement is still several years away and having only ever built one warship, a USS Enterprise CVN-65, I thought it prudent to look out for something smaller and cheaper, lest I mess it up. 

Eventually I purchased a 1/350 scale Academy Bismarck battleship.  I confess it was not my first choice.  While its destruction is a gripping tale I always thought the ship overrated from a combat capability perspective.  I wanted a British ship but the price of 60 Canadian dollars or 30 pounds was simply too good to pass up.  Since I purchased it in late 2021 the Bismarck has gathered dust until I decided what to do with it.  Then I made Boaty McBoatface’s acquaintance on this website and he exposed me to the 2023 Bunfight/Group Build.  While I have never participated in a group build before I am looking forward to the challenge and the camaraderie.  Thanks again Boaty!

As I continue to build models I am less and less likely to build them out of the box.  I feel for me to grow as a modeller I need to experiment, try something different and occasionally accept that I will mess it up.  Which leads me back to the Bismarck. For this project I decided to be ambitious (and a glutton for punishment) and do an evolution of the ship from inception to the present day.  Running from bow to stern I intend to model the ship in five distinct phases:

1) Initial construction and fitting out

2) Funky paint scheme with false waves and twin vertical chevron stripes

3) Bismarck triumphant (during and immediately after battle with Hood and Prince of Wales)

4) Gotterdammerung/final battle

5) At rest in the ocean’s depths.

Well that the plan anyway, we’ll see how it goes. I will try to update weekly to record my progress.

Model subject 1/350 Academy Bismarck

tovPcCu3EBUO3lM_fua4b524PJil98tXA0pLiGhk

ZYYCxLJP4jJU6jwOYbSnxHWANRnnTRITDZXiQ5IR

Committed severing the bow deck.

Xr0wO4Mpn7V9YeeF0XtmOkI4WZ3sBbgOrHi7QQkT

Cut up bow and building the framing.

jHufYuOwD_ppV9rckt_FrZVMUb2gcAsv7PUwRa2G

Chopped stern and interior debris.

Ta1bceqppl2qFYldXoZLsy0pKoLwPp2pDTJSpwoV

Framing and installation of the bow deck.

dU6T3Dn8j5yuWb8EJBwy0m_tQKboQCLVa_zkvrl_

And stern deck.

DEkuYjsP6YnZv-dfQxpVlbKuCECf68paiE5eIx2e

Start of the crane.

7RhUn2kEqAdSY441dzmN3v2ncDNSUUKRY9ebh2qE

Stern.

_f2vBIUoZjTTo0JdZdRWAngGGepY9Yt6oF70KPkY

Till next time.  Thanks for looking.

Regards,

Tomcat 101

• Like 15

53 minutes ago, Tomcat101 said:

While its destruction is a gripping tale I always thought the ship overrated from a combat capability perspective.

Gidday, I think she had some design faults, and while she sank HMS Hood in five salvos I believe was herself disabled quite early in her final battle.

This looks an interesting and unusual project, and a brave one to hack a kit like this. Good luck with it and I'll be following to see how it turns out. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tomcat101 said:

Then I made Boaty McBoatface’s acquaintance on this website and he exposed me to the 2023 Bunfight/Group Build.  While I have never participated in a group build before I am looking forward to the challenge and the camaraderie.  Thanks again Boaty!

You are welcome! That's both to the challenge and to the group build.

As I continue to build models I am less and less likely to build them out of the box.  I feel for me to grow as a modeller I need to experiment, try something different and occasionally accept that I will mess it up. 

Absolutely. You must own the model, don't let it own you.

Model subject 1/350 Academy Bismarck

tovPcCu3EBUO3lM_fua4b524PJil98tXA0pLiGhk

In the box, frankly this makes me say another Bismarck - yawn.

jHufYuOwD_ppV9rckt_FrZVMUb2gcAsv7PUwRa2G

What? What? What? Oh my...

Ta1bceqppl2qFYldXoZLsy0pKoLwPp2pDTJSpwoV

NOW I'm sitting up straight in my chair.

_f2vBIUoZjTTo0JdZdRWAngGGepY9Yt6oF70KPkY

Tomcat 101

Welcome to the madhouse of Grand Operatic modelling. THIS is the way to start a model, and a thread too. 

Onwards to glory!!!!

• Like 4

A really interesting, novel approach to the subject. How are you planning to do the demarcations, sharp and obvious or blended or what? Looks really interesting, and I like the progress already. Good luck! will follow with interest.

Andy

• Like 2

Hi Everyone, 

Thank you for the kind words and support.  I really appreciate them. I did wonder when I considered 'hacking' this kit that it would be seen as a desecration rather than a build. There's a long way to go, so the jury is still out on the final result.  I haven't been able to get a good photo but I used pill bottles to serve as the barbette for the 15 inch turrets Anton (furthest forward) and Dora (furthest aft).  I then lined the Anton turret with ball bearings (actually beads) at the base.  The idea (fingers crossed) is to have the Anton turret being suspended by a crane above the barbette in the final build.  We'll see. 

As to the demarcations I have roughed them in with green tape as depicted in the photos below.  My thinking is that by using angled cuts I have more options in what I want to depict and makes for a more interesting look.

Regards,

Tomcat101    

yTCWeJrbNhFC7XTseSe9aAXkZ-u-LxG2jTP4-8wR

_y0LfwGFHmUoBekL00r_D7bjFmryi8YmsYDo0_9f

sYiZLAeJe26iDRGzhZ9MDtFsgoBwRpgcb1CXpb0I

sSPUKx_wuiiwBI0YEg4Ah9rIMicpLqhG5M8pYYPu

ZMXmjZjLsTQKrk-WQ-9dDelSqiYupHU9fIip3BpB

2xLv9hrhkzRrmWKAE2l1eIZSWpk97lZoB8IYdMmY

7tzGkxZ2DJ-3H03wf6Om_EY05XlHDSyRPTkeildE

• Like 11

On 1/23/2023 at 10:14 AM, Tomcat101 said:

Start of the crane.

1 hour ago, Tomcat101 said:

The idea (fingers crossed) is to have the Anton turret being suspended by a crane above the barbette

Ah, the penny drops! (Hopefully the turret won't. 😁) That first caption I quoted was a bit confusing for me, I thought "That definitely looks like a turret, not a crane".  🙂 I think that'll be a good mini-dio for the model, and the way you made the gun bay/turret base is very clever.

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

Time to slip in a cheeky piece of advertising. Shhh! Don't tell @TonyOD

There will be more of this vibrant creativity from @Tomcat101 and many others in the Entropy Group Build starting on the First of July this year. All are welcome either to watch or even better, join in.

For more details follow the link below into the rabbit hole of your choice...

Hi Everyone,

Actually I have already begun modifying one of the two Arado Ar-96 floatplanes into a makeshift Fairey Swordfish.  I do intend to include it into the battle portion of the ship.  Fingers crossed it will work out. Thank you again for all the kind words and support.  I appreciate them.

Kindest Regards,

Tomcat101      

• Like 3

Hi Everyone, 

Thought I would add an update on my progress.  This is the first time I have done a thread of a model in progress so I hope the cadence is ok. The ‘hacking’ is almost done.  I think I have done enough devastation to the back half of the model.  I did reference some photos and drawings but there is also a considerable amount of artistic licence.

I have started gluing the decks together which has been an interesting experience for me as I am not used to building ships and I have also been trying to think of shell damage through multiple levels.  I have also started trying to add debris between decks and in the hanger.  I have just begun paint but there is so much to go. 

Well that’s enough for now I have enclosed a bunch of photos (too many?).  Usually I am a stickler for accuracy but given the odd nature of the build I am taking a lot of artistic licence – so begging the apologies of the purists. Please let me know what you think, thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Kind Regards,

Tomcat101

S6wVxiPYjdcqqSwcrk4zhhIgL2NA8yXhL5owI6tP

mzOaU2zHKGpFxJ4YLy500-xyxAzNoqeCj7eZ6o16

WQIFqPdSpSA-2pOoX0-Yy6L20bKZHfRNM3nqVBFi

N3AsAhouQqecG45JTFXYae0ED1Rt6iyupekbxAIX

InieOowIW7hXhsXVcAIDK5aDmiz0ViyubIjGvLRS

wEaqad7Et8R4yr8DrABOo3c2jqgU-muzw7zwNj16

HGOgrSN4Fr0LvT_18YydCXCmC7-2E0_Kwcz8G8zo

MKJuvJKVg9-M5uoCS09b1EmSynqc_1b0Pf37PUjd

PROOoyB1Hwudjym72eRboj522WeD6PnY-AkIOBX_

cm1rgPpAN6fAnMOYe7vzTy0FNjlxcb1lg8pDGn36

QTn2uzwErDUMMEVFHXua8fLYqITbb4T2Hzxa0umE

X59TOqpOEapkjDuu7Dmc44IbSJuTeF0gtVl76RFi

fU5aVS7CCv_OHsiDpM0mfUKM7uAIsMdu4FcCbeJW

0JvfnMk8lcPi0yDAY8oQcKooxR8RIgPWQuQzB8Iz

lZQFEMKjpMzZBf71ZBc0ZOqso-XaWdd1fci3K2qR

l4MFOKw8x2eYhQi8pu3ozNfmk9TdJiJeuvTyhjj0

M_O3Msjdzn7ncYWci-GnNQbBG68Dj27yiBP6HWa3

• Like 12

1 minute ago, Tomcat101 said:

Hi Flashlight,

Knives and files were used to make the holes and to do the scoring.  There were a lot of snapped blades - safety glasses highly recommended. :)

Kindest Regards,

Tomcat 101

Thank you very much indeed!

Knives and files were used to make the holes and to do the scoring.  There were a lot of snapped blades - safety glasses highly recommended. :)

Gidday Tomcat, wouldn't it have been easier to do what the Brits did to the real thing  -  shoot holes in it? 😁       Maybe not.   It certainly looks effective what you've done. Regards, Jeff.

Never thought of that one. :)  I did consider using a drill but opted not to.  The plastic on the hull was extremely thick.  The upside was that by using knives and files it let me bore holes at different angles which I think turned out ok.   

• Like 1

Indeed I am.  The end result may not be wholly accurate and instead be more representative but I hope it effectively conveys the evolution of the ship through time.  I am enjoying the challenge of trying to depict that progression through time rather than modelling a specific moment. :)    

• Like 3

Gidday @Tomcat101, that's one of the things I enjoy about doing whiffs. While I try to make them as plausible as I can (usually 🙂) I don't have to worry too much about the tiny details that can distinguish one actual ship from a sister-ship. Less time in research, more time in actual construction. Regards, Jeff.

On 1/30/2023 at 1:43 PM, Tomcat101 said:

Indeed I am.  The end result may not be wholly accurate and instead be more representative but I hope it effectively conveys the evolution of the ship through time.  I am enjoying the challenge of trying to depict that progression through time rather than modelling a specific moment. :)    

I'm sorry. I didn't see your answer to my question for a couple of days. It you use the quote button, as I just did, the other person in the conversation gets automatically notified and you'll find that you get more repeat visitors and flowing chatter.

I'm glad you are satisfying the Prime Directive (having fun). After a few projects in similar spirit to this one, I hardly bother about accuracy any more. I like to research and  know what's correct but I don't worry if my models are only 'close enough'. Close enough is, well, close enough. 🙂

13 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

I'm sorry. I didn't see your answer to my question for a couple of days. It you use the quote button, as I just did, the other person in the conversation gets automatically notified and you'll find that you get more repeat visitors and flowing chatter.

I'm glad you are satisfying the Prime Directive (having fun). After a few projects in similar spirit to this one, I hardly bother about accuracy any more. I like to research and  know what's correct but I don't worry if my models are only 'close enough'. Close enough is, well, close enough. 🙂

Hi Boaty,

Thank you for the primer. :)  Honestly, I thought 'Quote' was just that, the option to add a quote from someone famous. I did not realize it acted as a link. As I said previously, I am new to all this - but learning.  As to the build I agree it is fun to experiment.  I do prefer accuracy as a rule but I think each modeller has there own balance between accurate and representative. For example I will not spend the price of a kit to get marginally more accurate seat buckles on a 1/72 scale aircraft.  Not knocking those who do to each there own.  For me I do not have the time or budget. :)

Kind Regards,

Tomcat101