Woodbridge Tiger Meet Starfighter & ground equipment

CF-104 "833" RCAF 439 squadron "Tiger" at RAF Woodbridge Tiger Meet in 1969.

Built the current Revell 1/72 kit using the Esci decals. Complete nightmare to use. Luckily my Esci kit had two sets of decals.

First attempt at taking one of the decals out of the water - it disintegrated into thousands of specks.

So I liberally coated both sets of decals with Microscale Liquid Decal film. It was really tricky seperating the decals & film from the decal paper, but I eventually got there. The Canadian roundels were from the Hasegawa JASDF/RCAF decal sheet as were some stencils.

All the black tiger stripes were masked using Tamiya flexible masking strip, blutac & masking tape.

The Vicon camera pod was the clear resin one from Airgraphics.

Ejection seat was from Aires & the pitot was fashioned from brass tube & rod.

This was originally intended for the Canadian Group Build but it kept being put back, mostly for another couple of builds.

Still waiting for a 3D printed ladders for it.

52643440079_10fc26976d_b.jpg

52643440129_47fc108707_b.jpg

52642676892_768bbe92e8_b.jpg

52643181546_d547fcbc3f_b.jpg

52643181576_3f99622f1f_b.jpg

52643181666_7f6a5b4849_b.jpg

52643620730_ef552a4d80_b.jpg

52643620735_c8230cf548_b.jpg

52643181731_306fe002b4_b.jpg

52643620770_f08619efab_b.jpg

52643440434_200c4171be_b.jpg

52643440464_3ecfc73a18_b.jpg

52643181796_25e95fac42_b.jpg

52642677197_1ddd398fd2_b.jpg

52643654783_4163034dd9_b.jpg

52643440534_ea10d9ac3e_b.jpg

I am intrigued as to what the "Red piddling man" is meant to represent which had been zapped a couple of times on the fuselage? If anyone could enlighten me, I would love to know!

Thanks for looking!

Martin

• Like 44
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

The Starfighter looks good Martin. Tiger Meet colors are always a great option. :goodjob:

Mike

1 hour ago, Vultures1 said:

That's a fantastic result, especially given the drama with the decals! Lovely-looking cockpit details too - well done 

Many thanks chaps! Much appreciated.

• Like 1

Very nice. I have remnants from the Modeldecal set with one that is tempting.

Re the "piddling male", I  think it's to do with a statue somewhere in Brussels so probably a zap by Belgian personnel.

• Like 1

My congrats to you on doing such fine work with the painting of the tiger stripes.  They look great and the model looks great.  Love me some Tiger Meet aircraft.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Smart job there Martin, bet your eyes went funny there painting that.

Thanks Frank. It was a bit of a test on the eyes especially referring to a handful of photos online. Well I did start it around September last year, so I was doing small bits at a time. 

4 hours ago, georgeusa said:

My congrats to you on doing such fine work with the painting of the tiger stripes.  They look great and the model looks great.  Love me some Tiger Meet aircraft.  Thanks for sharing.

Thanks mate, much appreciated! If you like tiger stripes like me, then there's plenty more to come. Typhoons, Mirages, helicopters, MiG's etc etc! 

4 hours ago, F-32 said:

That really looks the part

Thanks! 👍

9 hours ago, Paul J said:

Very nice. I have remnants from the Modeldecal set with one that is tempting.

Re the "piddling male", I  think it's to do with a statue somewhere in Brussels so probably a zap by Belgian personnel.

Thanks Paul. Did Modeldecal do something similar? Their old decals can also be a bit hit & miss. 

I do remember those Maneken piddle statues from my school trips all those years ago. Stick's in the mind when you're 12 years old! 🤣 So that does make a lot of sense. I remember a very elaborate piddle statue in the centre of Aachen. 

6 minutes ago, Pantherhawk27263 said:

Very nicely done! I love to see what I refer to as "The Most Famous Starfighter Ever."

Thanks mate, is it regarded as such? Interesting to know that the Canadians did a few others. Were there four different ones? And there's the Belgian one I might still do one day.

20 minutes ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Thanks Paul. Did Modeldecal do something similar? Their old decals can also be a bit hit & miss. 

I do remember those Maneken piddle statues from my school trips all those years ago. Stick's in the mind when you're 12 years old! 🤣 So that does make a lot of sense. I remember a very elaborate piddle statue in the centre of Aachen. 

Yes. It was a different serial number and Tiger stripes and variation of the head, less stripes but slightly wider. The CAF 104s in Europe had some exotic schemes by various units. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Paul J said:

Yes. It was a different serial number and Tiger stripes and variation of the head, less stripes but slightly wider. The CAF 104s in Europe had some exotic schemes by various units. 

Being slightly obsessed with Tiger Meet decals I haven't seen that decal sheet. Was it in 1/72 & do you know the serial number of the decal sheet? 

7 minutes ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Being slightly obsessed with Tiger Meet decals I haven't seen that decal sheet. Was it in 1/72 & do you know the serial number of the decal sheet? 

Modeldecal only did 1/72. I don't  recall the set nber but Hannants might have it in stock

2 hours ago, HOUSTON said:

EXQUISITE  Build in smaller scale is very nicely done.

The photographs  are Awesome  and you can't tell its a 1:72 scale.

BEAUTIFUL  scheme and gorgeous finish.

:heart:

:wow:

:worthy:

HOUSTON.

Thanks Houston! 👍

56 minutes ago, Linus said:

look, as previously said, you did a great job both on the construction and on the painting, and looking at it, if I may, the Canadians didn't use the Q7 seat, but the C2 seat, try to verify.

Appreciated thanks. Like this?

https://images.app.goo.gl/uHwHB3Ykgp63CS8T8 If I can source one I might do that, or I might have one in the spares collection. Also depends on my "if I can be bothered" levels, which are all over the place at the moment. 😉

• Like 1