Old But New

ScottE

Hello everyone! I am here because upon my recent retirement, I rediscovered modeling. Having started building models in 1966. I had a lay off when I first got married and thru the children stage. The years until retirement I spent building a stash. According to Stash Mates I have 195 kits (don't tell my wife). They cover many genres, from auto to real space. I am starting out simple with F80c Shooting Star in 1/48. It looks like something I can handle at this time. We will see. I wanted to start with the 1/200 Bismarck with a KA kit but I started to look at all the bits and pieces and thought that this is over my head. So I am going to stick to the 1/48 aircraft for a while. Hopefully In this time I will master the airbrush too. Also lately I have been grabbing up some 1/32 WW2 aircraft, which many of these I built when I was a pup. The model hobby has added so much in the last 60 years that I believe it has passed me up. If you don't mind I will have plenty of questions. I thank you for having me.🍻

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome @ScottEfrom the current frosty high plains of eastern New Mexico. My mainstay is 1/48th scale aircraft but tend to do what has peaked my interest. Vast amounts of information flowing on this site so enjoy. Looking forward to your builds.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

Welcome @ScottE. Hope you enjoy your second dabble into the hobby, although with 195 kits before you even get started that's a very determined dabble 😉.

Having built a few ship kits with KA models detail sets (1/350 Yamato and 1/200 HMS Nelson come to mind) I'd say it's a very good shout to build up to that. As detail kits go, they are about in the middle of the intimidation scale, but the instructions can be tricky (lots of images, very few actual instructions). For example the HMS Nelson kit came with a ships bell, but no instruction or image that showed where it went.

We look forward to seeing your adventures.

Matt 

On 1/22/2023 at 5:03 PM, ScottE said:

Hello everyone! I am here because upon my recent retirement, I rediscovered modeling. Having started building models in 1966. I had a lay off when I first got married and thru the children stage. The years until retirement I spent building a stash. According to Stash Mates I have 195 kits (don't tell my wife). They cover many genres, from auto to real space. I am starting out simple with F80c Shooting Star in 1/48. It looks like something I can handle at this time. We will see. I wanted to start with the 1/200 Bismarck with a KA kit but I started to look at all the bits and pieces and thought that this is over my head. So I am going to stick to the 1/48 aircraft for a while. Hopefully In this time I will master the airbrush too. Also lately I have been grabbing up some 1/32 WW2 aircraft, which many of these I built when I was a pup. The model hobby has added so much in the last 60 years that I believe it has passed me up. If you don't mind I will have plenty of questions. I thank you for having me.🍻

Me too, retirement wise. c'mon in, the water's fine...

Hello and welcome from another 'returner' 

I class myself as semi-retired ..... left my career job last year, but had lined up another venture beforehand, so now enjoying a fresh challenge but part-time.  I rediscovered modelling a couple of years ago, so like many, working on honing previous skills and discovering new.

Lots of help, advice and guidance here helps ....

Keith   😁