D Models Ford Sierra RS Cosworth 4x4 Q8

Windy37

I’m a little way behind you with my Q8 version and the Autoglass of Miki Biasion.  I have however used the Ford Beige and whilst not quite matching the decal I don’t think it is too far off. I couldn’t find a closer match but think it will look right when it all comes together. 
I’ve followed your build from the start which has helped me along the way, just hope mine turns out somewhere close to yours. 
Looking forward to it all coming together in the finishing straight.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Toftdale said:

She's really does look the part now and great tip with the marker pen.  I never seem to be able to apply the window masks correctly either - Andy 

Thanks Andy . The problem I have with window masks is they are too sticky , and you only seem to get one chance to get them in the correct position . The edges then become damaged trying to peel them off for another go ! Much easier with a pen .

Gary . 

• Like 1

Hi Windy37, I've got the chassis and interior done (but not as detailed as yours due to shaky hands) and spray painted the body before laying up the decals. I'm in a dilemma though as how to mount the windows on the outside after painting/decaling and glossing?

Yours is just amazing, keep up the good work!  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, PatW said:

Hi Windy37, I've got the chassis and interior done (but not as detailed as yours due to shaky hands) and spray painted the body before laying up the decals. I'm in a dilemma though as how to mount the windows on the outside after painting/decaling and glossing?

Yours is just amazing, keep up the good work!  

Thanks Pat . Yes , the windows are mounted on the outside , Sierras always had deep set windows. I'm going to use some transparent drying glue around the edges . I use a cocktail stick with blue tac on the  end to place the windows. When I do mine I'll be sure to take some pictures of me doing the glazing ! 

10 hours ago, Keeff said:

Well this has progressed somewhat since I last looked!  Great job and the bodyshell is fabulous! 

Keith 😁 

Thanks for your kind comments , Keith.  

Gary . 

16 hours ago, Windy37 said:

Thanks Pat . Yes , the windows are mounted on the outside , Sierras always had deep set windows. I'm going to use some transparent drying glue around the edges . I use a cocktail stick with blue tac on the  end to place the windows. When I do mine I'll be sure to take some pictures of me doing the glazing ! 

Thanks for your kind comments , Keith.  

Gary . 

Thanks Gary, Yes I use just some enamel clear gloss, it seems to work OK.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Now that the windows frames and bodyshell have dried thoroughly , it was time to put the front and rear screens in place . These , like everything else on this kit dropped into place with no drama or adjustments needed . For you , @PatW this is how i mount the screens 

52766916385_ca07b07b62_c_d.jpg
52766992253_ea6b4ccf6d_c_d.jpg

The front headlights are tiny and took a bit of patience to get into the correct position . The inner light lenses have blue decals which help cover up over paint , that I managed to annoyingly get on the uncovered outers . Here’s a photo of before and after light fitting . I tried to do a split shot , but it has become a bit blurred in the process . 
52768390736_740ddab52d_c_d.jpg

The rear lights have turned out really well . The smoked lenses over a chrome pen insert look brilliant . The rear boot lid spoiler fits straight into position , again amazing design engineering . A split shot again, I’m afraid . 
52768811285_a9393e2738_c_d.jpg

Another well thought out , usually overlooked design detail , is the proper mounting points for the interior tub onto chassis . This fits square and true and is probably the best fit of this part of kit building I’ve come across . 
52766916445_669d721ed4_c_d.jpg

Ready to put the two together for a test fit

52768385876_ed96896e53_c_d.jpg

And the result ,a  perfect , easy fit . 
52768837675_b3a473c47c_c_d.jpg

Thanks for looking 

Gary . 

• Like 10

44 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

That looks stunning Gary, cracking job! :nodding:

I need to start another rally car!

Keith

Thanks Keith . As I keep mentioning , this really is a well engineered and thought out kit . As if it's been designed by Forums members who know what's needed for a stress free building experience.  

Gary . 

Gary, just caught up on your latest instalment and the Sierra is coming along rather nicely. As you say it makes a change for all parts to fit perfectly in a kit

and D models seem to have achieved this. Good to see ( not only for Pat) how you fit the clear screens, a tip I will adopt. The Sierra is looking greatand 

I am looking forward to its completion. A stunning build so far, keep it up.  Chris

• Like 1

A couple more photos of a bit more detail I've been doing on the Sierra . The side windows are in place now and I used a 0.3 mm fineline pen to outline the roof vents on the inside of the bodyshell . 

2251923A-90D8-466E-83F5-27DE0A991AC9

At the front , underneath fits the radiator , nicely detailed with twin fans and a protective frame . Over all this then fits a frame which will eventually carry the sumpguard . However , I found it difficult to get this part to fit correctly , so it's shown here with a cocktail stick being used to keep it in its correct position while the glue sets . I don't know what I would do without cocktail sticks in my toolbox !

2023-03-26_06-20-06

Thanks for looking 

Gary . 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Windy37 said:

... I don't know what I would do without cocktail sticks in my toolbox !

I know what you mean. I keep having a recurring nightmare that some politician with too much time on their hands will come up with the bright idea of banning cocktail sticks (just like plastic spoons are being) to "save the trees".

Keep up the good work.

• Haha 2

Thanks Andy . 

33 minutes ago, Toftdale said:

Great work, I hope the part stayed in place whilst the glue set - Andy 

Me too , it's a crucial piece for the sumpguard.  

Gary . 

Just a quick update this week . Time to fit the bumpers , which went well but required an elastic band stretched over the car to pull the front bumper into place , the wheel arch edges slightly splaying out and needing a bit of manipulation . 
52785897924_b454ba3a10_c_d.jpg

The same rubber band trick was needed to pull the rear bumper into place . There is a gap where the side skirts meet the body , so that rubber band will be needed again . The gap can be seen on this shot 

52785111767_b37ca728b5_c_d.jpg

That’s all for now , hopefully I might get this done over Easter weekend 

Gary . 

• Like 6

I'm impressed you managed to get the elastic bands to work for you, whenever I try them one of two things happens; either the elastic band snaps or it puts pressure on the wrong place and makes things worse than they were before.

• Like 3

The elastic band was just short enough to be of use , but getting it wrapped twice around the rear of the car was , shall we say , difficult ?!   I tried various methods to clamp the bumper corners but nothing seemed to work so the band was the last resort  !

Gary .

• Like 2