D Models Ford Sierra RS Cosworth 4x4 Q8

Windy37

I’ve been pondering on what colour to paint the bumpers and side skirts on the Sierra . It’s what I would call Beige , but as I have a few beige or sand colours , I tested them out on an empty yoghurt drink pot . I find these are good for colour testing as they are shiny white with lots of contours and recesses to show the paint off well . And I have one a day so there’s always a good supply ! The three different sandy beige colours I had were all far too dark , so I had a look around my local car care centres . Still nothing suitable so I tried The Range shop and they had a can called “ Sierra Beige “ , and it didn’t look far away from the photos of the car on my phone . Here’s the results of my paint tests , the different sandy colours on the right 

5D7A0FC8-7B02-4E7D-BFC6-3B5CBE9E3CCA

Hopefully I’m sorted for bodywork paint now , just need a bit warmer weather to be able to do the spraying . 
Next it was onto seat preparation . There are decals for the seat backs to replicate their kevlar look . I find this is too brown really and far too shiny so I painted the decals with Matt clear . I cut the decals into four separate parts to make them easier to lay down due to the raised detail on the seats . I’ve used various methods for making harness belts in my last few builds , but with the Sierra having large windows that aren’t obscured by names I decided to use the provided red ribbon and PE fasteners as I thought it would look better with the belts being clearly on view . I always find this an incredibly tedious and frustrating job , but when done they do look good . The seats also benefit from PE base mounts that I painted red , to give a metallic look and seat belt cutting knives , which I painted orange . Unfortunately , when in place these items Will hardly be seen ….

The driver of the car I’m building here was Frenchman Francois Delecour . He had a very upright driving position , so I used a piece of sprue under his seat to lift the back up , tilting it forward , to replicate Monsieur Delecours driving position . Although the seat bases have good mounting slots , they still don’t fit tight . Sideways movement meant I had to leave to fully dry so as not to get them leaning to one side or the other . I’m still waiting to build a kit with solid  seat mounting points . 
       This shows seat work . Fire extinguishers and some water reservoir bottles also added . 

B5DFF937-1702-4930-A93B-35EB1A303064

The tilted forward drivers seat can be seen here

F4367205-6A49-43C9-8F7E-DF098FF05749

Normally , I fit seats before rollcages , but on this one the instructions suggest the other way round . So with the seats glued into place I tried and failed to fit the rollcage ……. I tried all ways , but it just wasn’t going to fit . Bars that connect to the B pillar uprights wouldn’t go past the seats so I had no choice but to take the seats out and construct the rollcage one bit at a time , as can be seen here . Notice the first aid kit and folded warning triangle on the rear bulkhead at top of the photo . Great details . 

732915C6-FD85-41E3-9829-EA09D62F4165

What I thought was a simple to build rollcage is taking more time than some of the complex modern cages of previous builds !

Thanks for looking 

Gary . 

• Like 9

That looks like trying to fit seats into a full size rally Mini with a full cage fitted....!! :)

Nice work on the interior again Gary, shame about having to take the seats out again. 

Wouldn't it be good if someone came out with seat belt material that looks as good as ribbon but with much finer texture....

And I agree that Ford beige does look pretty close to the real car - maybe it was what was actually used?! (IIRC it was a MK2 RS2000 colour??)

Keith 

• Like 1

Thanks Keith . I do agree that seatbelt ribbon is always too coarse in its texture , I always find it very inflexible too , not floppy enough so that the ends with the fasteners on tend to stick up which they wouldn't naturally do .

I remember beige being a popular Ford colour in the late 70s / early 80s . There's a stripe on the decals that is supposed to match the bumper colour , but I tend to think it's too yellow so I'll be sticking with the Sierra beige .

Gary 

• Like 1

Looking really good Gary. Very much like the idea of raising the Drivers seat into a more vertical position as Delacour definitely drove with that stance.

Good to know about the roll cage fitting before the seats as like you I tend to fix the seats and manoeuvre the cage around them. 
As for seat belts I use florist ribbon which has just a slight texture and threads through the photo etch easily. 
I used Ford Beige on the Q8 Sierra and agree that it looks really close.

Looking forward to May when you can get the body sprayed and bring this build to a conclusion.

Loving all you have done so far and looking forward to more

Chris

• Like 1

A few days off work , so more progress today . Yesterday I had to remove the seats to fit the rollcage , so after fitting the part that I was unable to fit with the seats in place and leaving to dry over night , this is where I’m at at .

7AB41A32-323F-41C6-A89D-8E03DD74D8E1

As good as the instructions are , it wasn’t made clear which way up the large section of cage on the floor should go . The bits that connect to the B pillars are slightly angle , so I tried it both ways and it fitted better with the bars facing downwards . There are what looks like pegs showing on this part that if I had known would be on show I would have smoothed off . One to remember for future builders . 
   Then I put the seats back in place .  You can see there is no tolerance between the co drivers seat back and the rollcage bar . 

2023-02-09_03-28-52

Attaching the seat harnesses to the rear crossbar was a job and half …. The inflexibility of the ribbon and the fact I had to shorten the drivers side due to fraying when I tried to thread the buckles left this side to short and needed clamping while the glue set . I never did get the buckles threaded properly , but by then my patience had fully ran out !

2023-02-09_04-27-55

Clamps removed and this is the result . 

F50E8870-FACE-452E-A439-857BCE7050C7

While the seat belt dramas were drying , I prepared the dashboard . Not many interior photos to go on , but I think it’s turned out well . Obviously the camera phone on Macro setting brings out every brush stroke !

20230209_152317 20230209_152302 50071555-27F6-4662-B1E8-8F18C13CC57A

Thanks for looking 

Gary .

• Like 12

8 hours ago, ceeb555 said:

Looking really good Gary. Very much like the idea of raising the Drivers seat into a more vertical position as Delacour definitely drove with that stance.

Good to know about the roll cage fitting before the seats as like you I tend to fix the seats and manoeuvre the cage around them. 
As for seat belts I use florist ribbon which has just a slight texture and threads through the photo etch easily. 
I used Ford Beige on the Q8 Sierra and agree that it looks really close.

Looking forward to May when you can get the body sprayed and bring this build to a conclusion.

Loving all you have done so far and looking forward to more

Chris

Thanks Chris. I assume you can get florists ribbon in most colours , so red , black or blue for motorsport belts ?

14 minutes ago, FG2Si said:

Nice to see one of these kits built. 

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who has trouble getting those ribbon belts to lay flat. 

Carl

Thanks Carl . I'm pleased I can share my pain with you !

Gary .

Edited by Windy37

52 minutes ago, Windy37 said:

I assume you can get florists ribbon in most colours , so red , black or blue for motorsport belts ?

I'd forgotten all about that stuff, I've got a huge roll of red and never tried using it! No idea on black or blue.

Keith

Edit - you can get all sorts of colours!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155391287080?hash=item242e0adf28:g:HMYAAOSwb1Zj4k~S&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAwEj%2FsaaNYPMTdXIv%2FBQUFSpfEXyE%2FRKgpPlcuKugpousmWDYBFPfmoRDqU1pVR%2Fw9PhNZMTdCmvWxZDR9S5o0MFHIUy3IYA%2BdGY7MEbKA4TkS01Sle1ed0DQKwu6yKSvJXdo59Cw9x9Fn9PW9VsQKjTlb9SG9VMUGoNe6pR%2B172t6nmzP7i6UqFLF0%2By0dZsgh1AsUF%2BnXnpa06P25QSKFWc%2Fe9vUyuM7vjDqugOd8lifo9kkbIGwkttXKsO5GLaSQ%3D%3D|tkp%3ABlBMUNyy1vvGYQ

• Like 1

Gary / Keith - yes the florist ribbon comes in the different colours. Red, black, blue even green for the Skodas. I’ve always found these to be quite usable with the photo etch and don’t look bad for the scale. I use double sided tape and a spot of super glue. Gary, the interior is looking great and that dashboard is superb. 
Already looking forward to your next instalment.
Chris

• Like 2

Good work on the dashboard, they always take quite a bit of getting right in close-up so I wouldn't worry unduly about any imperfections you see in close-up or that the camera picks up. It looks fine to me.

• Like 1

I agree with Spiny, the dash is looking great.  Bear in mind the whole thing is only about 60mm across, the camera can be downright cruel showing up the smallest imperfections.  Once it's in the car it'll look the greyhound's gonads, trust me! 

• Like 1

A nice touch on this kit are the intercom headsets . Split in two halves these are very delicate to handle , but nicely detailed . I did wonder where to place them because it doesn’t say where in the instructions . I decided to hang them on the shoulder supports of the seats , ready for use , and twist some black wire to make the leads , hung from the top of the roll bar . 

BE51F870-82B3-4603-BDF9-6CC00AB1666D DE2B2E3A-3C1E-4DC6-B93D-22D632FCB9BA

The steering column and wheel fitted easily , but dashboard fitment is not so good . The only fixing point is a slot in the transmission tunnel , just in front of the gear-lever . It’s a very loose fit , with no support at the sides , even when the top of the rollcage is fitted . It’s a problem getting the dash to sit level and flat . I had to cut the holes open more at the end of the dashboard to allow the A pillars on the cage to fit down , even then the drivers side didn’t fit properly , so I resorted to cutting a tiny bit off . This has left a gap in the bars , but will be hidden by the door card . The instructions call for the lower and co drivers B pillar rollcage  padding to be red . As I have mentioned , detailed interior photos are hard to come by , so I have painted all padding matt black as it looks more appropriate . As with any rollcage , 3 pairs of hands are needed ! Apologies for posting plenty of photos of this part of the build , but once the bodies on its then hidden . 

590D0B60-6B05-42B7-BF71-024D541D5A89

B78A2EA1-7538-4884-95AC-A536C9037D84 74A8573E-C065-440A-8EE7-2B45642195BE F6F7D5B3-8F5E-44CB-B81A-0F8F4A754B19 F99ABB70-1B77-442B-8C28-48B869310D9D 7DD7AFCE-6BE8-47F5-A79B-E81EF049A7FA FB79E782-8A1D-4306-8A4C-B3663E15021E 198243C7-E8D3-45E3-BD43-03B743BC3C84

Thats all the chassis and interior tub completed , so , depending on the weather , this kit may have to go to one side for a bit so I can spray the body and bumpers . It’s an enjoyable build , with a few minor tricky build issues - other kit producers should take note how it can be done !

Thanks for looking 

Gary .

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Neddy said:

Very!  Nice touch with the intercom leads too.  :clap:

Thanks . Maybe a bit large but just added a bit of realism .

35 minutes ago, Toftdale said:

The interior looks great, just the right amount of detail,  hopefully your frustrations with the harnesses are just a distant memory (oops sorry I probably shouldn't have mentioned it 😅🤣) - Andy 

Thanks . It's threading the buckles that gets me whenever I try and use ribbon . Think I'll stick to electrical tape , it's less hassle.  

15 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Tidy...!! :)

K

Thanks Keith 

Gary 

• Like 1

On 10/02/2023 at 19:40, Windy37 said:

did wonder where to place them because it doesn’t say where in the instructions . I decided to hang them on the shoulder supports of the seats

Just out of interest and not really relevant to your build Gary, I just watched a youtube vid of the Colin/Carlos rivalry and there was a pic of Carlos in his Focus WRC and they were hung over the rear view mirror! :)

Keith

• Like 1