Airfix avro vulcan b2

Ryan Lumb

Hi all I recently received my v-force bundle from airfix but I want to talk about the avro vulcan b2 kit. I know there's differences in the jet tail exhausts and I was wondering, if I was to do it as XH558 would the kit out of the box be accurate for XH558 or would I need to make some modifications? If I do need to modify the kit what modifications would I need to do? I'm currently just planning the build out as I have a few other builds to do first so I'm trying to get and find information first.

Thanks Ryanย 

I have the XH558 and I think that the new Vulcan is a better tooled Avro Vulcan B2 with better internals and more detail on the kit.

IMO I would just build the kit and then paint it in XH558 colours and use XH558's decals and if anyone asks tell them it's XH558 after the refit.ย ๐Ÿ˜œ

• Thanks 1

XH558 has Olympus 201 series engines, so thatโ€™s the longer jet pipes. The more powerful 301 engines had the shorter jetpipes. Both are included in the new tool Airfix Vulcan, but if youโ€™re using the older โ€˜XH558โ€™ boxing then the jetpipes will be incorrect.

ย 

Regarding other modifications, there are various air scoops and underwing blisters that may well need removing, but off the top of my head I canโ€™t recall exactly which. Any Skybolt mods will need to go for 558 I think.

ย 

@Adam Poultney is your man for extreme Vulcan detail if heโ€™s around.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

XH558 has Olympus 201 series engines, so thatโ€™s the longer jet pipes. The more powerful 301 engines had the shorter jetpipes. Both are included in the new tool Airfix Vulcan, but if youโ€™re using the older โ€˜XH558โ€™ boxing then the jetpipes will be incorrect.

ย 

Regarding other modifications, there are various air scoops and underwing blisters that may well need removing, but off the top of my head I canโ€™t recall exactly which. Any Skybolt mods will need to go for 558 I think.

ย 

@Adam Poultney is your man for extreme Vulcan detail if heโ€™s around.

Oh thats good I didnt know the new airfix kit included both tails pipes. I plan on making XH558 as she was with the pastel colour serials and numbers, roundels and insignias. I found out 558 was completed on my birthday so I want to make her in anti flash white like the corgi diecast version.ย 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, David Hadland said:

I have the XH558 and I think that the new Vulcan is a better tooled Avro Vulcan B2 with better internals and more detail on the kit.

IMO I would just build the kit and then paint it in XH558 colours and use XH558's decals and if anyone asks tell them it's XH558 after the refit.ย ๐Ÿ˜œ

Thanks I plan on making her like the anti flash white corgi diecast. I'm sourcing all the decals for it currently but I am not sure if she needs any underwing serials or roundels.

43 minutes ago, Ryan Lumb said:

Thanks I plan on making her like the anti flash white corgi diecast. I'm sourcing all the decals for it currently but I am not sure if she needs any underwing serials or roundels.

Nothing under the wings. The only white Vulcans with serials under the wings were B.1s; as far as I know no Vulcan B.2 ever had underwing serials or roundels.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Ryan Lumb said:

Hi all I recently received my v-force bundle from airfix but I want to talk about the avro vulcan b2 kit. I know there's differences in the jet tail exhausts and I was wondering, if I was to do it as XH558 would the kit out of the box be accurate for XH558 or would I need to make some modifications? If I do need to modify the kit what modifications would I need to do? I'm currently just planning the build out as I have a few other builds to do first so I'm trying to get and find information first.

Thanks Ryanย 

Yes you need some basic modifications and options for any XH558 scheme.ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

For XH558 in the display scheme, they are as follows:

ย 

Basic things:

Use the longer Olympus 202 jetpipes

Do not add the intake to the tailcone and instead fill the gap

Use the nose option with a refuelling probe but no tfr

Rectangular fin tip

Swap the tailcone tip for the alternate part

Right ECM only

Piping under the engines should be included

Late style aerials with some extras

ย 

More detailed:

Remove rearmost skybolt mounting point

Retain twin teardrop skybolt mounting points

Remove skybolt coolant feed blister

Remove anti icing outletsย 

Add MRR hardpointsย 

Some aerials were added in its return to flight restoration

ย 

ย 

But I see you want to do anti flash white. XH558's scheme in white changed a bit, initially I believe she had full colour insignia but quickly was changed to pale insignia. It never carried underwing serials. The tail sqn marking in this image is for 230OCU

ย 

AwWCsQYCEAENjua.jpg

For this scheme,ย 

ย 

Options:

Smooth nose tip

Smooth fin tip

Olympus 201 jetpipes (remove square raised bits and fill so they're smooth)

Don't add the piping under the engines

Right ECM only

No skybolt mods

Tail doesn't need the modifications for the display scheme

Early style aerials

Remove late style doppler radar panel (raised square bit where the tan trapezoidal decal goes, which should be black anyway)

Remove anti icing outlet blisters

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Adam Poultney said:

The tail sqn marking in this image is for 230OCU

ย 

AwWCsQYCEAENjua.jpg

For this scheme,ย 

ย 

Options:

Smooth nose tip

Smooth fin tip

Olympus 201 jetpipes (remove square raised bits and fill so they're smooth)

Don't add the piping under the engines

Right ECM only

No skybolt mods

Tail doesn't need the modifications for the display scheme

Early style aerials

Remove late style doppler radar panel (raised square bit where the tan trapezoidal decal goes, which should be black anyway)

Remove anti icing outlet blisters

Thats exactly the one I am wanting to do thank you. Are all the bits I need in the new airfix b2 vulcan kit to make a accurate representation of 558 in that photo? I have sourced the decals I just need to figure out where exactly the parts go and where the parts need removing from are. I don't have that much knowledge of the vulcan so it will take me a very long time finding exactly where everything goes and what doesn't belong where.ย 

3 hours ago, Ryan Lumb said:

ย 

Same as me I got the Kits World Avro Vulcan B Mk.2 Early to Late # KW172214ย  It has 3 different Insignia for the Anti-Flash Vulcanย 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, David Hadland said:

ย 

Same as me I got the Kits World Avro Vulcan B Mk.2 Early to Late # KW172214ย  It has 3 different Insignia for the Anti-Flash Vulcanย 

I completely forgot about those decals they would be really helpful.

52 minutes ago, Ryan Lumb said:

I completely forgot about those decals they would be really helpful.

There is 10 different Tail Insignia that comes with the Decal Sheet, 3 Anti-Flash and 7 for the Cammo versions you also get faded Roundels along with normal ones.

ย 

I have the XH558 'Vulcan To The Skies' kit and at the moment I am just getting all the External updates for it as I don't think that there is much point in getting the internal PE kit as you wouldn't be able to see it.

Edited by David Hadland
Forgot to add Decal info

58 minutes ago, David Hadland said:

There is 10 different Tail Insignia that comes with the Decal Sheet, 3 Anti-Flash and 7 for the Cammo versions you also get faded Roundels along with normal ones.

ย 

I have the XH558 'Vulcan To The Skies' kit and at the moment I am just getting all the External updates for it as I don't think that there is much point in getting the internal PE kit as you wouldn't be able to see it.

I will have to pick those decals up. I did have that kit when it was released and did try to make the Anti-Flash version of XH558 but it didn't go to well ๐Ÿ˜… I know photo-etched bits are very fiddly I found out on the mikromir victor b1 and ended up only having the upper airbrakes and cut the bottom ones to the rightish size, I didn't enjoy it at all.

16 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

If you look through my Airfix Vulcan build thread you'll find the details on what's what and where most bits go

Sweet I shall do that once I have found it ๐Ÿ˜Š I still don't know how to work this site properly so it will take me a while to find it ๐Ÿ˜…