Stu's Mustang Thread

Six97s

I rarely stick to plans, so don't hold your breath, but @Vesa Jussila's thread about plans for 2023 led me to think about dealing with some stalled projects.  This thread will cover the models I'd started for the Mustang GB in 2021.

1.  '69 Boss 429 Mustang.

Based on the recent Revell 1969 Boss 302, which has its origins in the old Monogram 1/24 1970 Boss 429 tooling. Unfortunately, that means the body is rather dumpy, the rear quarter light window is the wrong shape and the whole front end is off, if an improvement over the previous Revell 428CJ.  I sectioned the body and reshaped the side windows, using 1:1 photos and an AMT '69 Mustang annual kit as references.  The engine is a Boss 429 from a JoHan Torino stock car.

69Boss18-vi.jpg

69Boss21-vi.jpg]

2.  '67 390 GT Mustamg

This one has the best chance of a quick completion.  It's the AMT '67 GT, mostly OOB with the 390 FE engine from an AMT '67 Mercury Cyclone.

67Mustang06-vi.jpg

I

67Mustang08-vi.jpg

3.  '65 Shelby GT350

The '80s Monogram kit... not terrible, but the proportions are a bit off, especially the front end which is somewhat blunt.   I've started to reshape it and substituted some Revell tyres for the wholly inappropriate Michelin TRX (metric! 🤢) tyres that came with it.

65Shelby05-vi.jpg

4.  '68 Shelby GT500

I originally built this one in the late '80s, replacing the engine bay and turret braces. I dug it out for the GB, intending to correct the grille and headlights, which AMT didn't really get right.  This one probably needs the most work.  😐

GT500_05-vi.jpg

GT500_10-vi.jpg

So, now I have a place holder, I'll creep up on these when time allows.

Edited by Six97s
  • Like 9

• 11 months later...

More necro posting 😳   I really hate the "styled steel wheels" in the '67 Mustang kit and as with the Pontiac, they're the wrong size anyway.  The stock wheels were 14x5.5, or 14x6 with the 390 engine.   Since I'm building a 390 GT, I drew up some 14x6 wheels with the standard wheel covers, and optional F70-14 tyres.  I expect the fine detail will be lost when I try to print it, but whatever happens, it must be an improvement on the kit parts.   Test print tomorrow...

67Mustang10-vi.jpg

• Like 1

First test print - not terrible, but I'll see if I can improve it.  Shown here with the kit parts; the tyres are supposed to be the same Firestone Wide Ovals.  Excuse the grey hair on the first photo... I didn't see it.  😭

WideOval01-vi.jpg

WideOval02-vi.jpg

• Like 3