Devotion

One 48

Looks interesting, am sure there will be inaccuracies but I'll take off my modellers head and put on my popcorn head when it comes time to watch it 🔜

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I watched this the other day, and quite enjoyed it. There’s an element of racial commentary in it of course, but that was a thing post WWII, so it’s fair enough and it doesn’t overwhelm the story. The flight scenes are very good, and I thought were reminiscent of the new Top Gun movie, and sure enough, I found out later that the same guy did the effects, so that’s why. I’d watch it again :) 

Makes me want to build a Corsair. :pilot:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Evening All,

I have just watched a film on Amazon Prime, Devotion, the true story of American pilot, Jesse  Brown.

Set at the start of the Korean War. A thoughtful story line with some excellent aerial footage,

Well, I thought so anyway.

If you've not seen it it is worth a watch.

• Like 1

Just watched this & was very impressed with the effects. Very realistic renderings of the aircraft & the storyline isn't too bad. For computer graphics it was inspiring enough to make me want to build some Korean War themed aviation. 

• Like 1

I watched this last night and thought it very well done.  The aviation aspects are very well shown.  My wife really enjoyed it too (mind she went to see Maverick 3 times!).  The film covers the subject well, but with a sobriety and lack of histrionics that reflect the subject matter better than most.

• Like 2

It’s decent as an aviation film. In achieving that, it doesn’t go in huge depth of the two original book’s core themes, one of which is the title, Devotion. The other theme could have been covered in more depth IMHO and informed opinion, but that’s the balance the film maker has to weigh up. I would highly recommend Adam Makos’s book.

• Like 1

Just watched it now via Prime

Enjoyed the Bearcat sequence and deck landing segment. Not a bad movie. Clever use of real aircraft with cgi. Kind of the warbird owners to let their charges be used in film. 

But one thing  I am disliking with modern films and TV  dramas is   why are they made in constant shadow or darkness.  Even bright daytime scenes look gloomy. A pet hate of mine with all these dark, so called mood filming techniques.

Edited by Paul J
  • Like 1

On 22/01/2023 at 15:51, Sundowner14 said:

It’s decent as an aviation film. In achieving that, it doesn’t go in huge depth of the two original book’s core themes, one of which is the title, Devotion. The other theme could have been covered in more depth IMHO and informed opinion, but that’s the balance the film maker has to weigh up. I would highly recommend Adam Makos’s book.

I must read the book now, thanks.

• Thanks 1

Decent enough aviation film from a part of history I know relatively little about.

Best of all, if  I make a hash of building a Corsair kit I now know to snap the wheels off, twist the prop

and say its a diorama of Jesse Brown's plane :)

Edited by IanHx