807 Sqn Scimitar Colour Photo

Scimitar F1

Hi

I was trying to work out what is the colour of the codes on the side of the nose of this 807 Sqn machine. it looks light grey but have seen some profiles where it appears to be Sky. I know hat they were subsequently painted black.

Has anyone seen a colour photograph of this scheme?

Will

WtMhcBH.png

• Like 1

My memory of the scheme is that the codes were a faded pale blue. That could have been Sky, but I don't think so.  This was a very long time ago, at Lossiemouth I think; I presume that same squadron because I recall the scinitar emblem.  Somewhere I should have a photograph...  

I built the Dynavector Scimitar and used (not much of) the Model Alliance sheet which had the nose codes in pale blue - unfortunately the sword for the fin did not have a black outline so I used the sword from the Dynavector sheet - good to see an early colour photo of the Scimitar from @vangos

my build - https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235093060-dynavector-148-supermarine-scimitar-f1/

CJP

Edited by CJP
text

13 hours ago, Smudge said:

I've always thought they were the same light blue as the codes/serials carried by the Buccaneers.

Is that what you are calling Sky?

This is sky:

https://www.riolettcustomaerosols.co.uk/products/british-standard-colour-sky-210-aerosol-spray-paint/

And I do have perfect colour vision.

On 21/01/2023 at 17:47, Scimitar F1 said:

I was trying to work out what is the colour of the codes on the side of the nose of this 807 Sqn machine. it looks light grey but have seen some profiles where it appears to be Sky......

@bentwaters81tfw my apologies, I wasn't questioning you directly (or your colour perception) that was a response to the original post. Sorry if that wasn't clear. Here is a picture I've taken of my Model Art sheet 72/023.

2023-01-23_10-53-45

Model Art use the same blue as they have for the French national markings on the Aeronavale Avengers, on the same sheet. The roundels and tail stripes.

20 hours ago, Scimitar F1 said:

Thank you. The Doust book also has them in Sky. I cannot....

Is that as in Sky 'Blue'?

14 hours ago, Ossington 2 said:

................Looks like light blue to me this time.

Me too.

14 hours ago, John B (Sc) said:

My memory of the scheme is that the codes were a faded pale blue. That could have been Sky, but I don't think so.

Yes, I think so. Same pale blue that the Buccaneers used.

3 hours ago, dambuster said:

I have a small book on the Scimitar and the drawing for the 807 Sqn scheme says that the codes were light blue, outlined black.

Interesting. That would kind of agree with my thinking. 

3 hours ago, CJP said:

I built the Dynavector Scimitar and used (not much of) the Model Alliance sheet which had the nose codes in pale blue...............................

I think I will go with the pale blue.

The Xtrakit 1/72 Scimitar has 807 NAS markings, but go with a slightly darker blue. I'd be inclined to use the Model Art sheet if you can find one.

http://scalemates.com/products/img/5/9/2/106592-65-instructions.pdf

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/xtrakit-xk72011-supermarine-scimitar-f1--106592

Hope this is of some help. 

• Thanks 1

I thought blue codes were carried on 736 NAS Scimitars, matching their lightning emblem on the tail.

I thought 807 used Sky (as in the FAA yellowy/greeny colour used on Gannets etc) and I'm sure I've seen a photo of such, but would have to find it again to be able to back that up.

I realise that too many 'I thoughts' is pretty useless!

1 hour ago, Ossington 2 said:

Just wondering: would the anti-flash nuclear pale blue be the match? ISTR it was used on Buccaneers too. 

1 hour ago, AntPhillips said:

I also seem to remember seeing a picture or artwork that showed them in a similar Lt Blue as that used on the Buccaneer but with a black outline. I can't seem to turn it up now though.

Thank you. I did try and point that out in my original post:

On 22/01/2023 at 21:12, Smudge said:

I've always thought they were the same light blue as the codes/serials carried by the Buccaneers.

So I guess maybe we are on the right track, with a similar thought process.

On 22/01/2023 at 15:16, Scimitar F1 said:

Thank you. The Doust book also has them in Sky. I cannot believe that there are no colour photos - it was 1960 after all!

Yes, frustrating isn't it. I've been trawling the internet, but can't find anything much better that what we already have, 

On 22/01/2023 at 18:24, vangos said:

They were at the Farnborough Show '59 in this scheme. There is some footage on YouTube, in colour, but a bit distant, so not really the conclusive evidence your looking for.