A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72

Nice cover KT, thanks for sharing it :D

I have just one RAF cover - From 1989 , the 75th Anniversary of 6 squadron - I was in the formation that flew the covers :D  I can’t remember if they made us buy them or gave us one each :D

The real collectors of such things is Ian @Brandy who posted some picture of his collection just last month.  Maybe he’ll be after yours KT ;)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

The great god Amazon has just delivered unto me a modest little foldable mini photo lightbox with built in LED lights.

Seeing as it’ll probably be a little while before I’ve another build to photograph :blush: it seemed like a good idea to try it out on the Hawks :D

And so, here’s a fresh batch of piccies - in the unforgiving light of the LED.

You can Judge for yourselves if they survive the extra illumination :D  

Valley:

y4mPFJqsqe6nVPuy2IjgGz0RoHMuwSbqBwvku2bv

y4md67SdtRCX_lNS3XaI4-SdgviYkX4nM_YV2WWL

y4maKQ9gTns0Ck0PPqwPNwRZHLMPBeLeZJAgnPPz

y4m4z6lylg2NSNgzRvEBjdp5zuVhyHNZ3wIXmRDT

y4mG1Gb5AYpLFmD857VSBZoe38vzI0TKIMbqctN8

y4myqgvnLlXIv5WEnlBtVJBufc8c9Yh6AnWHWNv7

y4mbps7dbJ_fUb6baWHf6gaLLdOa-c3SfZCDPh2d

y4mxBIc3b7_qvlN4P8fD4MN5t9AH5VvAzVcVZjTg

And TWU:

y4mKUtABxc_PUza5MKAOtU5bcHxYCB5MmcxSBGY1

y4mdrO-J6m66I39FF2Hb-ZSjGtCQ1C-rdkV4WJ_C

y4mIzPnmo_36HsD0bRUKMFcUBqCbvpInXhxSPtb1

y4m8h9PmPJE6X5I7YoOvOqxV6YVF8PtABqUKwkVp

y4mJLIxz0BK53dCELohmCF7x8llSznXefsSOqKC6

y4mVm1ZfxvOt2rlignSA_DGvm290Ed_-mr9VgjBr

y4mEI2DYaU_uSi-ZySYrcfnWuyWoKpfP3vEcmESV

And finally:

y4mJSNK0X2bseicKmGyFlvTyIdvhkfe8OZh8x1Z1

It’s still just iPhone photography - but I reckon the little LED lightbox will prove useful.

I also took the photo’s through the middle of an LED ring light.  The ring light’s day job is iPad Teams/Zoom video calls; but it’s also useful for BM type stuff.

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 32

• Fritag changed the title to A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72 (Several new piccies using my new photo lightbox)

The lightbox rox!! Linky please so I can buy one to replace the one I made out of an old bed sheet...

Cheers,

Bill

PS. The models ain't half bad either.    :)

• Haha 2

Initially on just looking at the photos I nearly ordered a pair on the spot thinking this is what an airfix hawk builds into these days… then I read what you’ve done to them. Perfection!

• Haha 1

Thanks all,

On 3/27/2023 at 12:07 AM, Navy Bird said:

The lightbox rox!! Linky please so I can buy one to replace the one I made out of an old bed sheet...

That old bed sheet has worked pretty bloomin well over the years hasn't it Bill?

Anyways - her's the light box I bought.

PULUZ 30cm Light Box

Although there are several different iterations available at different sizes and price I was happy to get the cheaper 30cm/12" version seeing as it's mainly for 1/72 fighters and WIP bits.

I don't think I'll be able to photograph the completed 1/48 defiant in it without the edges of the box creeping into shot and it'd probably be the same with 1/72 bombers.  A bigger version would be needed for that.

Here's the simple set up - also with the LED conference ring light:

y4mLmWiZGjZj_StFvVMel0ICZ84NCwTB1jwPvGUy

And it just collapses down into this:

y4mBz90rHgAjtVpBnpBIh8GoedvBWrEVfXXG4pIF

• Like 10

On 3/26/2023 at 11:08 PM, Fritag said:

The great god Amazon has just delivered unto me a modest little foldable mini photo lightbox with built in LED lights.

Seeing as it’ll probably be a little while before I’ve another build to photograph :blush: it seemed like a good idea to try it out on the Hawks :D

And so, here’s a fresh batch of piccies - in the unforgiving light of the LED.

You can Judge for yourselves if they survive the extra illumination :D  

Valley:

y4mPFJqsqe6nVPuy2IjgGz0RoHMuwSbqBwvku2bv

y4md67SdtRCX_lNS3XaI4-SdgviYkX4nM_YV2WWL

y4maKQ9gTns0Ck0PPqwPNwRZHLMPBeLeZJAgnPPz

y4m4z6lylg2NSNgzRvEBjdp5zuVhyHNZ3wIXmRDT

y4mG1Gb5AYpLFmD857VSBZoe38vzI0TKIMbqctN8

y4myqgvnLlXIv5WEnlBtVJBufc8c9Yh6AnWHWNv7

y4mbps7dbJ_fUb6baWHf6gaLLdOa-c3SfZCDPh2d

y4mxBIc3b7_qvlN4P8fD4MN5t9AH5VvAzVcVZjTg

And TWU:

y4mKUtABxc_PUza5MKAOtU5bcHxYCB5MmcxSBGY1

y4mdrO-J6m66I39FF2Hb-ZSjGtCQ1C-rdkV4WJ_C

y4mIzPnmo_36HsD0bRUKMFcUBqCbvpInXhxSPtb1

y4m8h9PmPJE6X5I7YoOvOqxV6YVF8PtABqUKwkVp

y4mJLIxz0BK53dCELohmCF7x8llSznXefsSOqKC6

y4mVm1ZfxvOt2rlignSA_DGvm290Ed_-mr9VgjBr

y4mEI2DYaU_uSi-ZySYrcfnWuyWoKpfP3vEcmESV

And finally:

y4mJSNK0X2bseicKmGyFlvTyIdvhkfe8OZh8x1Z1

It’s still just iPhone photography - but I reckon the little LED lightbox will prove useful.

I also took the photo’s through the middle of an LED ring light.  The ring light’s day job is iPad Teams/Zoom video calls; but it’s also useful for BM type stuff.

great work Steve
I'm proud of you...

🤩

ciao

Silvano

• Haha 2

Ah, so these are the famous 8 year Hawks! They are both exquisitely detailed miniatures. I had to double check that they were 1/72. I'm guessing that having a personal connection with both must have made this a labour of love where every detail had to be perfect. Well the end result is a brace of mind blowingly beautiful Hawks so 8 years very well spent.

I'm off to read through the whole WIP to see how you accomplished this modelling feat. :)

Richie

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, RichieW said:

I'm off to read through the whole WIP to see how you accomplished this modelling feat. :)

Richie

I hope you can speed read Richie :whistle: The best bits are the not inconsiderable contributions from the BM hive (obvs.)

And you'll also notice the several long pauses as the well of enthusiasm temporarily ran dry :blush:  (hoping for some empathy from you :winkgrin:)

• Like 1

• Fritag changed the title to A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72
42 minutes ago, Fritag said:

And you'll also notice the several long pauses as the well of enthusiasm temporarily ran dry :blush:  (hoping for some empathy from you :winkgrin:)

So much empathy from me! I'm thinking long pauses are good. When the well runs dry I cock things up in the most regal fashion! 

Richie

• Haha 1

• 7 months later...

As I was given licence to stay over at Telford for Scale ModelWorld this year I thought might as well bring the Hawks along and sneak them into the competition.  Well you never know.

Anyways, Valley Hawk proved a bit too introverted to attract attention, but it's more outgoing sibling - TWU Hawk pushed himself forward a bit more (bully).  So, many thanks to those nice people at Airfix:

embed?resid=10FD7A2D587EC067!17109&authk

Oh, and My older chippie and JP 5 - making their way to Telford for the first time - were also a bit guilty of attention seeking behaviour: 

embed?resid=10FD7A2D587EC067!17108&authk

The Darrell Burge Trophy is for any Airfix kit of pre-2007 vintage.

embed?resid=10FD7A2D587EC067!17107&authk

As always, it was a pleasure to meet any such fellow BM'ers as weren't quick enough to avoid me...

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 16

Congratulations Steve.

All of your awards were well deserved. The WIP's for all have been thoroughly inspirational, especially for modellers such as myself, with a real soft spot for RAF training aircraft.

Well done Sir. 

• Thanks 1

Congratulations Steve!!
Everyone here on BM loved those models, I’m thrilled to see you have official recognition of their quality!
Reading through your WIPs these last few years has inspired me to push myself a bit harder, to try knew things, and I’ve enjoyed the hobby more than ever before as a result.

”Keep up the good work”, as they say!

:clap2: :clap: :thumbsup:  

Dave

• Thanks 1