A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72

This is "masterclass" modeling in the scale 1/72. Thanks for the full story behind it and not to forget, excellent photographs.

Regards from The Netherlands.

• Thanks 1

This is serious modelling at its peerless best. It's nice to be reminded of the Chipmunk and the Provosts, but the "family" shot shows that there is definitely space at the back for two Jags, no, not the former member for Kingston upon Hull.

Great inspirational work Steve, it's a privilege to watch.

Chris. 

• Haha 2

Well now,

Thanks all for the kind comments about the little ‘awks.  I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t pleased that so many modellers who’s work I admire liked ‘em.

I confess I was concerned I might b*ll*cks them up when it came to the finishing of ‘em, but I think I wriggled away from the threat with credibility intact, or at least not irreparably harmed :)

It’ll seem strange that the never ending WIP has in fact ended.  It was closed down by the mods at one point and had to be reactivated :rofl2: And nice to see comments from the old faces (Avatars?) who toughed it out all the way from 2015.

Anyways, too many have posted to make it sensible for me to reply individually and iniquitous to single just a few out, much as I would like to.  I had a lot of inspiration, encouragement and help during the build; all in the very best tradition of BM.  Not to mention the enjoyable badinage, without which it would be much less fun.

Cheers all,

Steve 

Edited by Fritag
typo
  • Like 11

Genuinely brilliant work Fritag - pretty much every aspect of modelling done to perfection. As mentioned earlier - I was looking forward to seeing these at Leeds, but it wasn't to be. I look forward to the next build - Jaguar?

Cheers!

• Thanks 1

Fabulous, simply wonderful sir.

Until you wisely brought all five into view I had a favourite photo of the camo lady sitting looking away from camera, shyly, but now I have no favourites because.

Overwhelmed senses.

I feel proud to have been one of the heckling hangers-on during our epic run, what b---y wonderful way it was to get involved with modelling history making.

Thank you Steve.

Off now to the Defiant build and a general peruse of the build threads to cool down my febris'd brow.

• Haha 2

Fritag - I can’t remember if I asked this before, but have you always built models from being a child (on-and-off like many of us I guess), or was it a relatively recent desire to build aircraft you flew?

12 hours ago, dr_gn said:

have you always built models from being a child (on-and-off like many of us I guess), or was it a relatively recent desire to build aircraft you flew?

Ha.  It’s just pure narcissism Garth, all about me :D.  Actually,  I’m another of the many who built Airfix and Matchbox (in particular) kits as a kid.  Went to town on the Airfix 1/24 Hurricane courtesy of the Robertson/Scarborough book and I think my favs. were the Matchbox 1/32 Mk 22/24 Spifire and Sea Venom.  Then left the hobby for many years; dabbled infrequently and then got back into it after my own fashion when I joined BM about 10 years ago. In other words the typical BM’er?

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

Ha.  It’s just pure narcissism Garth, all about me :D.  Actually,  I’m another of the many who built Airfix and Matchbox (in particular) kits as a kid.  Went to town on the Airfix 1/24 Hurricane courtesy of the Robertson/Scarborough book and I think my favs. were the Matchbox 1/32 Mk 22/24 Spifire and Sea Venom.  Then left the hobby for many years; dabbled infrequently and then got back into it after my own fashion when I joined BM about 10 years ago. In other words the typical BM’er?

Interesting...pretty much exactly the same with me, especially with the Matchbox stuff. For many years my 1:32 Spitfire 22/24 (built in the '80's) hung in the car port, until one day it blew down and smashed. My Dad collected the pieces for some reason, and saved them. A few years back (2010), I stuck them all back together with Araldite, repainted it, drew the panel lines on (!) and added some very rudimentary details. Basically that was the start of my current "age of modelling".

I got the newly released Airfix 1:72 version recently (even has the same squadron codes) to do a quick motivation-restoring build over Christmas. That stalled becasue the windscreen had a crack in it, and I'm still waiting for a replacement, so that was that. Good old Airfix!

spacer.png

The Matchbox Sea Venom was also a favourite, although all I have left of that now is a pilot's seat.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 1/23/2023 at 12:12 PM, Fritag said:

y4mUgbkj_MVMWnyFN7ujNX3Eq8ziKS3mQ6VrarTs

Just to add to my comments in the WIP,  I feel like this picture is one of those "it's like getting the band back together" moments 🥳 Great to see a few shots of them all together.

All five builds are simply masterclasses each in their own right. Wonderful work that you can be very proud of indeed.

👍👍👍👍👍

Terry

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Astounding job Steve !!

Such a nice pair of Hawks !!

My fav one still is the Valley one....

Thanks for sharing so much in the WiP !!

Congratulations !!:mike:

Sincerely.

CC

PS, no 1/72 young Fritag to go with ??:ner:

• Thanks 1

I wondered where you had got to having been an avid follower of your WIP's for the Chipmunk and JP's.  The Hawks are absolutely superb too. Very privileged to have spent roughly 25hrs in various Photoships during my tour at Valley. I will definitely follow any Jaguar WIP's you do since they will obviously span my own time at Coltishall (1984-86)......almost certainly my best RAF tour of duty.

Well Done, Sir !...truly GREAT    

• Thanks 1

Absolutely definitive builds. The WIP thread was a pleasure from beginning to end and the final results are superlative.
Motivating and devastating in equal measure! How could I ever build a Hawk after seeing these? :)

• Haha 1

Can I add my own "wow!" to this thread?

I have nothing to add that hasn't already been said but despite that, repeating "wow!.... This has raised the bar for 1/72" is definitely worth saying.

Please don't start working on any 1/48 projects or I will have to totally reassess my much lower standards.

• Haha 1

On 1/26/2023 at 3:28 PM, Fritag said:

who toughed it out all the way from 2015.

I feel there should me a memorial wall erected somewhere on BM Estate inscribed with the names of all those poor erks who had to suffer through this. 

All those skiing trips. All those holidays... we may have lost a few along the way but thankfully the emergency rations held out for those that survived the trail. 

• Haha 5