A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72

This RFI and the original WIP represent for me a quite wonderful benchmark in 1/72 scale modelling.

I personally believe it's possible for all objects to have consciousness.

Therefore for me at least, someone looking at the photos is directly connecting with that consciousness: to pick up on the amount of effort,

time, diligence, passion and love lavished on these creations. 

I think the popularity of your WIP and RFI is testament!

• Thanks 1

The ol' Fritag shrink ray does it again.

They're both beautiful Steve, and can only be distinguished from the photos of the 1:1 examples by the 80's era film grain (or you have a shrink ray - Occam's Razor and all that).

And also, thanks for the thread itself, an appreciated 'home base' for many Britmodellers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

They are simply stunning models and have raised the bar incredibly high for what is possible in 1/72.

I have followed the build of these from the beginning and have been entertained and educated in equal measures by the WIP, so thank you for taking the time to share with us how you got there.

Looking forward to whatever you do next even if you are wandering off from the best scale!

• Thanks 1

Enduring mementos of an earlier self, captured by sublime skill in the present. Congratulations on two works of such delight and precision Steve, a truly, truly  memorable build.

Shucks all; thanks.  I’ll do some messages later.  But for now:

On 1/21/2023 at 6:23 PM, fatalbert said:

Would it be possible to see them next to the Chipmunk and Jet Provosts?.

Ok Neil ;)  I’ve tried.  Surprisingly hard to photograph all 5 together.  I don’t have a very sophisticated photographic set-up (iphone and a bit of cardboard :blush:) so these are probably about as good as I can manage.

The first and the latest:

y4mL_DO26OHUmdGK3Nanq6iCmyDhrjg5hXzEK1PN

The red white and grey brigade:

y4miG0IYU-fGh7JYGmUOxbwYV9hEIsfTqVBdkgxs

y4mM44aONwoYgTumjAoHjosMidJq7o1mloaEs3An

And lets get a bit more warlike:

y4mUgbkj_MVMWnyFN7ujNX3Eq8ziKS3mQ6VrarTs

y4m8g8o6TIV493v5HtXudfCZEtIQLQbXcdmF9sXW

y4mOJzrf8faQhhuIZ3wSqwbr7x-UZLVSthvOsZqK

Edited by Fritag
typo
  • Like 38
  • Thanks 6

• Fritag changed the title to A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72 (and now with an added Chippie and a couple of JPs)

Fantastic,thankyou very much,next to the Chipmunk the Hawk looks huge .I might just have to go back and re-read the older builds 

Edited by fatalbert
  • Haha 1

Steve.... 😍

what to say ... there is not much to say ...

great work, which unfortunately, I followed at times...

great work for competence ... for completeness, for attention to detail and for execution ...

the 5.0 research of the new 3D printing techniques, open up a new model-making scenario and increase the limits of those who will not be able to take advantage of it...

chapeaux...

ciao 

Silvano

• Thanks 1

Tremendous model making and you would think those are 1/48 scale all day long. To think they're 1/72 is even more impressive. So when are the Jags coming off the bench........

Steve

Edited by speedy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I really can't add anything to what has already been said. These would be stunning examples of modelling in any scale. In 1:72 they're nothing short of sublime. It's so easy to get scale creep and small parts that just look wrong but you've managed to avoid that and every piece just blends perfectly into the whole.

Add in the subtle but definitely there weathering and it really doesn't get any better!

Cheers!

Ian 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had been viewing these on my phone and the looked superb but I saw them on my pc and my goodness! They honestly took my breath away and whistle outloud (not an easy feat I can tell you).

Without reference I would defy anyone to guess the scale. These little gems could easily be mistaken for much larger scale models. 

Absolutely brilliant. 

Cheers.

• Thanks 1

Steve,

Nothing I can add to what has already been said about this superb collection, other than that they are a benchmark to which to aspire. Superb work mate,

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1

Dang. 

There he goes, setting unattainable standards.

give-up-tantrum.gif

---

Joking aside, those are exquisite.

Certainly with the 3D printed parts like the MDC, that really blew my mind. 
I'm not picking a favourite, the trainer scheme makes it look dainty, while the TWU camo lends a purposeful character. 

Batting a century, hitting the bullseye, hole in one, you name it!

• Haha 1

Well better late than never, I'm calling this a late Christmas present 😂

Steve, absolute corkers, it's been a journey. You've shared so much with us of your own development, learning new aspects of the hobby along the way. I'm feeling like a dinosaur now with all these super technical innovations like 3d printing, making your own etch etc. It's hard to believe that these are 1/72, top notch modelling skills...and patience!

Love the pics showing them all together, can't wait for next Christmas where there is an updated one with two Jag's in residence 🤩

Neil

• Haha 1