Beaufort Mk.I Mainwheels & Tail-Wheel w/leg (4456) 1:48

Beaufort Mk.I Mainwheels & Tail-Wheel w/leg (4456)

1:48 CMK by Special Hobby

boxtop.jpg

Kit wheels are generally in two halves, which means you have the resultant joins to deal with, possible mould-slip issues on single part wheels, and sometimes less than stellar detail due to the moulding limitations of styrene injection technology, especially in the tread department.  That's where replacement resin wheels come in, with their lack of seamline and superior detail making a compelling argument.  They are also usually available at a reasonable price, and can be an easy introduction to aftermarket and resin handling, as they are usually a drop-in replacement.

4456.jpg

As usual with CMK's resin sets, they arrive in the familiar clear vacformed box, with the resin parts safely inside, and the instructions sandwiched between the header card at the rear.  Inside are two main wheels with separate hubs for each side, and a tail-wheel with separate strut in a harder black resin.  Our strut had taken a hit before it was packaged, and had a tiny piece missing, so check yours when you get it, just in case.  Each main wheel is cast on its own block, and is joined to it at the bottom where the tyre is slightly weighted, so clean-up won’t be too onerous or risk damaging any detail.  The hubs are cast in pairs, and are cut off at the rear at the base of a tapered “socket” so that fit is good once you remove any roughness.

Highly recommended.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of

logo.gif

I know they do it to save money by only having to make one mold but it would be nice if they instead had two separate tire masters so both tires were not oriented to the ground identically which you seldom see on real aircraft. That said, I'll still be buying this set for my Beaufort build.