Fairey Long Range Monoplane - Long Distance Record Holder +++ Finished +++

Hi all.  Having just completed my high-flying 1/200 Bristol 138, I've remembered that I also have another 1930's record breaker in my 1/200 kit stash.  I wasn't planning to build it this year, but on reflection, if not now, when? ;)

It's the Fairey Long Range Monoplane which was developed specifically to break the world non-stop flight distance record.  Apparently, it was also known as the Postal Aircraft (to hide its true purpose).  Two aircraft were built, J9479 (Monoplane I), and later K1991 (Monoplane II).

Sadly, in 1929 J9479 crashed in Tunis during a record attempt (killing both the crew members), but in February 1933 K1991 established a new record by flying from Cranwell to Walvis Bay, Namibia, a distance of 5410 miles (8540 km).

Like my Bristol 138, I bought this kit second-hand.  Unlike the Bristol though, the Fairey is un-started and comes with a decent set of decals :).  Hopefully it should be an easy one to complete by next weekend.

P1130483.jpg

According to Scalemates, this is one of only two kits produced of the Fairey LR Monoplane, the other being an old 1/72 vac-form produced by Airframe.

Cheers

• Like 2

Just a couple of hours needed to get this together yesterday afternoon.

P1130484.jpg

The biggest challenge was working out precisely where to attach the u/c struts, as there were no location marks on the fuselage or wings.  Thankfully, the internet provided some scale plans to measure from :).  Filler was needed in just a few places - CA glue plus zapper provided an instant fix.

P1130485.jpg

Cheers

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Malc2 said:

I am sure @AdrianMF will be interested in this too!

And so I am! Cute! Even at 1/200 it's still as big as a small 1/72 fighter.

I know I need to resume my build, it's gone beyond KUTA now, I need a DUB (dynamite under backside) GB.

Cliff, lovely little model, looking forward to you finishing it before I finish mine!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Malc2 said:

Wow. looks great, were the wings tail and fuz all cast in one piece?

Thanks Malc.  It looks like the wing, fin and fuselage were cast separately.  I don't know for sure (never having owned a Shed Models kit from new), but I've previously got the impression that Shed would do some of the initial assembly work themselves.

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Cliff, lovely little model, looking forward to you finishing it before I finish mine!

Thanks Adrian.  It was one several 'Sheds' that popped up on eBay just before Christmas.  Appropriately, I 'over-indulged' :winkgrin:

I do actually remember your scratch build project, so yes it would be great to see it finished one day.

Cheers

Hi again all.

As hoped, this one's come together very quickly with no dramas (other than me forgetting to post any painting progress photos...).

P1130486.jpg

I've really enjoyed this one, not least because it was an impulse build.

This really is the last one from me in this Group Build, so thanks again to @Col. and @Corsairfoxfouruncle for hosting.  It's been a great GB :thumbsup:.

Cheers

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• CliffB changed the title to Fairey Long Range Monoplane - Long Distance Record Holder +++ Finished +++
54 minutes ago, Malc2 said:

What a very nice finish on the model and only 3 days to complete!

Thanks Malc.  One of the appeals of small scale stuff (to me at least), is the ability to get a quick fix!  Modern, quick drying paints help too of course :)

44 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Very nice finish Cliff

Thanks Dennis.  Tamiya Fine Surface primer, plus Alclad lacquers - the perfect combo!

Cheers

• Like 1