453rd BG Museum Build - USAAF Boulton Paul Defiant TT Mk I (from the Airfix 1/48 Mk I) - FINISHED

Fritag

There may be just a little deja view in the text of this intro for them as can remember as far back as page 158 of my Hawk thread :whistle:  But that was several months ago (I obvs. raced through the last 30 or so page of that thread... (just saying)).

Anyways.  So who knew the USAAF flew the Defiant.  Well not me anyways.

When we were down at the 453rd BG Museum on the 11th June last year (when a pleasant time was had by all),  Jim the proprietor gave me this:

y4mIMFaKdZOYi_8EL-_m8lWHF7iOtj2BeLE3OPoZ

And thought p'raps it was just something he had and he didn't want.

But it turns out the USAAF, 8th Airforce did have a couple of Defiants; TT MkI's -  DR945 and DR944 that served with the 11th Combat Crew Replacement Centre at Bovingdon.

To be fair, Jim never said (or even implied) that there was a condition that the kit be built for the museum.  But, well, why not?

So my next build is going be another museum build.

I know Giorgio @giemme is planning another museum build and I'm pretty sure Crisp @Ex-FAAWAFU needs to get his P-38 over the line and Terry @Terry1954 has a museum kit or two and I'm pretty sure some of the other museum crew have promised more kits: Andy @general melchett? Neil @woody37  ? Tom @tomprobert? Johnny @The Spadgent? Ced @CedB? But seeing as I'm known to be a speedy builder I thought I'd better get cracking :whistle:

So this is DR945 in USAAF markings.

y4mohJXXJbpd-8HSB9Vu0qUHt6HnW8EULyVz4Tsq

And it seems that DR945's USAAF markings are quite well known (even if not to me):

y4mP_zV9efmZyXWT2t-MYOeUjHmYki6XtszlCA7r

And indeed I now know that Classic Airframes did a 1/48 TT Mk1 and what's more included markings for DR945.

And what's more ebay has provided me with a set of the Classic Airframe decals - and Amazon has provided a few more references:

y4mt1-Gfrfh8PQIdSobd0LgNi2ExEWjkxBbsNZk9

BUT.  There's always a but ain't there.  We don't want to do DR945 do we?

Nope.  We want to do DR944 don't we?

Yep.  First of all cos someone stuck a sharks mouth on it (what's not to love):

y4mJRpdXPZerTGO6cMk5sUMzs-lgJbpTp2yrwzPg

And second of all (and as far as I'm concerned the most important of all) of all cos someone later did this with it:

y4mBUYMs__C-WUCbF88pnbNa51aIsaCJj6QryMwO

On 11 May 1945 Martin Baker's first ever airborne test of a Martin Baker ejection seat (with a dummy) was conducted using  DR944 (after its service with the USAAF DR944 was given to Martin Baker to be used as an ejection seat test aircraft).

And as some long term BM's will know I have a particular interest in Messrs Martin Baker's work and I couldn't possibly ignore the connection now could I?

So DR944 it will be.  Trouble is I don't know and haven't yet been able to find out what Unit markings it carried.  But hey ho to that.  The tiny bit of the code letter to be seen on the phot of DR944 above suggests a ‘V’ to my eyes.  So maybe it’s JW-V?

The other thing of course is that the Airfix kit is a MkI and the TTMkI not only had the turret removed and the rear fuselage built up, but it was also based on the Defiant MkII, which had the merlin XX engine with a longer nose than the MkI to accommodate it.

But such differences are why God invented Fusion 360, Chitubox and the Mars 3 ain't it?  And that's why I needed the above plans.

(I did say on page 158 of the Hawk build that I'd probably repeat most of the introduction in the first post of this build - so you were warned...)

Anyways some preparatory work has commenced.

The Mk I nose was assembled and removed:

y4m1JSyr7sMIPtEJ5hURJGP8fVKLTWAzNEMRkx8f

y4mdWnTFOUkF3JupxDelQKmiJvextkO5Yjb8FlSG

Which gave me a precise cross section to work with in Fusion:

y4mlyEKrJamg3gFG5XPslUpDstI6nXNwRK6KJg3f

My Epson printer/scanner proved to be useful in scanning in a nice imaged of the cut off nose/kit bulkhead for use as a Fusion canvas.

And various plans and photos were also used as canvases:

y4mYli0auQyjrlQgUnOMbfL1xyfuPYV9k3NjC2MX

And some preliminary sketching and surface work gets us this far:

y4mheO9yDGAgKaZIQ0OgC1OFznCClPA-GnNBKKUp

Which should be a pretty good fit to the kit, as the kit cross section was sketched around at the join point:

y4mKlbGaDxpn_itl8PmLkPCo9CITOr5yVpjtMRfW

And the scanner was also called into use to capture the kit fuselage shape, which was used as a reference:

y4mknU_Za_8IomVTEczyIQUxhw6_QqCTzLj0xSHr

Whilst trying to stay as faithful as practicable to the plans of the TT Mk I:

y4mA9KT89_qyTXfONoSJx2UgGv1t-Ytd6GRxTQSe

I'm not going to refine the shape of the nose any more just yet, or start to add any detail, because the next step will be to print a test plug of a few mm of the rear of nose at the join with the fuselage to get as seamless a fit as I can before committing any further to the design.

As ever I'm indebted to the likes of Alan @hendie, Tony @TheBaron and Serkan @Serkan Sen, who's workflow and other CAD/printing ideas I have and will shamelessly borrow from.

Oh, but I should say that this ain't gonna try to be a definitive TT Mk I build.  I'll be happy with what might be called a 'stand-off' scale result :D

But at least it's begun.  Virtually.  So to speak...

Edited by Fritag
Typo
  • Like 45
  • Thanks 4

I'm in for this one for sure Steve, offering several vested interests ............... it's a museum build, I get to learn more about the application of 3D printing, It's a target tug (wearing my Target Facilities SIG hat)

Your other museum build was "but the work of a moment"* compared to the slightly longer Hawk thread, so we could be in for a quick treat before the Jag(s) perhaps ......... 🥺

Crisps and mug of tea in hand (Saturday morning elevensis) 

T.

* Rowan Atkinson, Love Actually - for those in doubt

• Like 6

Page one, first post, and he's already knocking out scratch designed 3d printed replacement fuselage parts.  

Not definitive you say, eh?

I've got me porridge and a nice warm blanket to keep the old knees warm for this one

• Haha 7

Page one too for this CC...

Sooo, the Airfix Defiant has a nose issue ??

Following with interest !!

Now Gents, I feel like a dinosaur with my resin and silicon :clif::clif:

But as I heard once in Baltimore.... "Maaan, you're out of time"

I was searching for Levi's 501, and the cool guy wanted to sell me baggies....

Baggies that are eventually totally out of time today...:rofl2::rofl2:

may I take a seat ?

Can't promise that I'll behave...

CC

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Alright, he's started with those, now I need to crack on with my second build too.... :pilot:

In the meantime, move over guys and leave some space for the Italian intruder...

:beer:  :popcorn:

Ciao 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, giemme said:

Alright, he's started with those, now I need to crack on with my second build too.... :pilot:

In the meantime, move over guys and leave some space for the Italian intruder...

:beer:  :popcorn:

Ciao 

Hey Mister G

Are you going to start a 1/48 A6-E ???

There's still a chair here, near the Chimay pack...:cheers:

CC

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Fritag said:

a particular interest in Messrs Martin Baker's work

Rather an understatement, I would imagine...

You are setting a blistering pace in the first post. Looks like another tutorial in 3D manufacturing is about to unfold.  So bunging two sheets of 40 thou on the nose and sticking the old cowling back on just isn't going to cut it then? (I'll get me coat...)

Regards,

Adrian

• Haha 7
  • Confused 1

Steve,

Will very much follow with interest - I had no idea the Defiant was used by the US, so will look forward to learning more!

Cheers,

Roger 

• Like 1

Good to see you tackling this one Steve, looks like you’re off to a great start. Like you I had no idea that the US used Defiants. I’ll be tackling a B-26C Maurauder for Jim this year and as we made a point of saying we’d meet up at Old Buckenham again then, if possible, maybe we should hold ourselves to it. At the same time I’ll coerce Neil into knocking one out too, hopefully I’m seeing him soon for a trip to Woodford so I’ll just drop that one into the conversation…

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Dave Slowbuild said:

Blimey, at this rate we will be toasting the completed masterpiece around the Christmas log fire.    Off to a flier!

Exactly which Christmas are you referring to?

Confused of Mars 👽

• Haha 5

A yellow bottom……

with stripes!

yes please. 🤗 Fabulous nasal beginnings there Steve. Looking forward to more of this un. I didn’t pick up any more kits from Jim but a trip sounds good so maybe I can check @CedB’s old list. 🤩

Johnny

• Like 1

I'll definitely be following this. I'll have a rummage though my Defiant material to see if there's anything I can add. I was writing the history of the Defiant for Pen and Sword but had a major setback last year when the hard drive on my laptop decided to self destruct. Luckily I had a lot of material backed up, but there was a lot - about 9 month's work that wasn't so it's been an ongoing recovery operation since that. I know I have TT references somewhere so I'll try and find them out.

Interestingly, DR944 lasted until the end of May 1948 and DR945 March 1946. 

@CorsairCorp - Nothing wrong with the nose of the Defiant kit in the box but this has the longer nose to accommodate the Merlin XX.

And now a photo just for interest :)

D7GZHDR.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Oh yes! This will certainly be something different and quite the topic of discussion for all 8th fans. It looks like you’re off to a great start - as to be expected 🙂

I’ve got a 1/32 B-24 ready and waiting, so would be interested to know if there’ll be a ‘reunion’ at some point this year…

• Like 3

Possibly like many, I have one of these in the stash, so looking forward to a masterclass on how t'is done.

Mind you, I'm not going to be able to replicate half of the skill that's going to be displayed.

(Anyone taking bets on how long this one will take? 😇)

• Haha 2

So.

On 1/21/2023 at 11:24 AM, Terry1954 said:

I get to learn more about the application of 3D printing,

Only if you want to learn from a muppet, Terry :winkgrin:

On 1/21/2023 at 11:42 AM, brianthemodeller said:

In on page 1 (only 199 to go)…

Oi.  The museum Spitfire build was done in a speedy 23 pages.  People forget that they do :whistle:

On 1/21/2023 at 12:22 PM, perdu said:

Probably, possibly going to hang around for this one Steve, when's your next holiday booked?*

*Asking for various and countless friends of course...

Ages away.  Not until the second week in February, Bill :whistle:  Was going to be Chamonix as is our habit; but the ankle won't be up to skiing again by then :confused: so it'll be summat else.  Possibly borrowing a friend's cottage in Devon for a week - we'd both like to visit the FAA museum at Yeovil amongst other things.  Oh, and then I'm skiing at Tignes for a week at the end of February.  Then nothing until late March!

On 1/21/2023 at 1:07 PM, hendie said:

I've got me porridge 

Water or milk?  Sugar or salt?  Just asking so I know's whether to think yummy or yuk :D

On 1/21/2023 at 1:26 PM, corsaircorp said:

Can't promise that I'll behave...

That's a relief.

On 1/21/2023 at 1:26 PM, corsaircorp said:

Sooo, the Airfix Defiant has a nose issue ??

12 hours ago, AndyL said:

@CorsairCorp - Nothing wrong with the nose of the Defiant kit in the box but this has the longer nose to accommodate the Merlin XX.

What Andy said CC.  The Airfix Defiant nose is fine for a Mk I - I'm just being contrary and building one with a different nose ;)  And no turret.

On 1/21/2023 at 2:00 PM, giemme said:

now I need to crack on with my second build too.... :pilot:

Yep, I'm feeling lonely G :)

On 1/21/2023 at 2:40 PM, Brandy said:

I'll make sure it's VERY comfortable!

Old bones Ian.  can't be any other reason :whistle:

On 1/21/2023 at 4:22 PM, AdrianMF said:

So bunging two sheets of 40 thou on the nose and sticking the old cowling back on just isn't going to cut it then? (I'll get me coat...)

Ah, plan B :D Trouble is plan B requires, a craftsman's eye and touch.  You're all right there Adrian; me - maybe not so...

On 1/21/2023 at 4:31 PM, Dave Slowbuild said:

Off to a flier!

Yes, well, the first post is the easiest...

23 hours ago, Dunny said:

I had no idea the Defiant was used by the US

Altho' I s'pose having just 2 Defiants isn't like a major endorsement; given the size of the US n'all...

21 hours ago, general melchett said:

I’ll be tackling a B-26C Maurauder for Jim this year and as we made a point of saying we’d meet up at Old Buckenham again then, if possible, maybe we should hold ourselves to it. At the same time I’ll coerce Neil into knocking one out too

Nonchalantly manufacturing a magnificent Marauder in a fortnight no doubt :D  And yes do give Neil a shove :D.

12 hours ago, Martian said:

Confused of Mars 👽

Done and dusted in 2023. You watch.  But don't quote me and no intention to enter contractual relations (just saying).

12 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

I didn’t pick up any more kits from Jim

Borrow one from someone then Johnny! :rofl2:

12 hours ago, AndyL said:

I'll definitely be following this. I'll have a rummage though my Defiant material to see if there's anything I can add. I was writing the history of the Defiant for Pen and Sword but had a major setback last year when the hard drive on my laptop decided to self destruct. Luckily I had a lot of material backed up, but there was a lot - about 9 month's work that wasn't so it's been an ongoing recovery operation since that. I know I have TT references somewhere so I'll try and find them out.

Interestingly, DR944 lasted until the end of May 1948 and DR945 March 1946

Welcome aboard Andy.

Tragic about the hard drive.  As someone who has from time to time managed to se a few hours work in computer crashes I have a tentative inkling of how much worse the loss of 9 month's work must be.

I'd love to know if there is more info out there about DR944.  Especially (for this build) what codes but I'm really interested in its time with Martin Baker.

I'd do another one of DR944 if there was enough detail about that (I doubt there will be tho').  Is that DR945 in the photo? JW-U?

12 hours ago, tomprobert said:

I’ve got a 1/32 B-24 ready and waiting,

Ready as in done?

11 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

looking forward to seeing  this progress

Hmm.  Progress sounds, well just a bit fast, Chris.  How about 'trundle'?

3 hours ago, Bigdave22014 said:

I have one of these in the stash, so looking forward to a masterclass on how t'is done.

Ah, well.  I'm more interested in the conversion to the TT Mk I than I am in detailing the Defiant, Dave.  Looking for a relaxing build, so probably not going to do too much else.  We'll see.  Maybe some bits and bobs.

3 hours ago, Hamden said:

Room for one more?

Come on in, Roger,

So I said that the next step was to print a test plug of a few mm of the rear of the new nose to perfect (sic) the join with the fuselage before committing any further to the design of the nose.

And the power of Fusion used this:

y4mxEnQFFgzj_Kon_jLY2yKEiR_apaxnKW5k8WW3

To produce this:

y4mvlFC4tUXZKPpDUoSkD8MEBv7grKUhKho2gnUc

And the power of Mars in turn provided this:

y4mrQLiM9Yub5TbxWJAILzvacgz4Hy42AQ-xF5PP

Which, you can see from the 'Elephant's foot' on the right hand side, I printed directly onto the print plate.

And the test fit was pleasingly exact to the extent of needing no adjustment to the cross section of what will be the rear of the new printed nose.

y4mQupljR3uEgMbhHgzIVS-UEQl2-89P_nprE0Lv

y4men9DzYa1DE282uOFTfL3fFqf_QZVhXcpDw61N

y4mDnyCyym69gp3lRbtkFcIIINFiQD0Mazi5LiMc

Always a surprise when summat works innit.

I can get back to refining and detailing the nose in Fusion now.  And work on the rear cockpit changes.

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 26