453rd BG Museum Build - USAAF Boulton Paul Defiant TT Mk I (from the Airfix 1/48 Mk I) - FINISHED

Fritag

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

It’s a start.

Defiant wing as Zen gardening - have you created a new form of contemplative activity there Steve?  :hmmm:

That looks a most elegant way of reproducing pattern - will you be using the same approach on curved surfaces as well?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Fritag said:

Neither the most interesting but thankfully nor the most difficult task in modeling.  Hopefully it will improve the look.  It certainly did for Roger’s Defiant.

You are most kind Steve - given your attention to detail elsewhere I'm sure you will find it worthwhile. Now get on with the paint! 🤣

Cheers,

Roger

• Haha 9

Excellent riveting job! :clap: I use the exact same tool for riveting, although with a little modification to actually see where I'm going - I'll post a pic if you are interested.

Ciao

• Like 4

2 hours ago, giemme said:

I use the exact same tool for riveting, although with a little modification to actually see where I'm going - I'll post a pic if you are interested.

I am indeed, G.  IIRC I modified mine too, by taking off the retractable wheel guard - but I'd be interested in what you've done.  I found that if I held it with this side of the wheel towards me I had good vision.

y4m3vB9c3DcA9ug4vu4axgrxINh-LLUMVRHrEwy_

15 hours ago, PeteH1969 said:

What do you use to guide the tool as you are rolling it along the wing?

I just used the pencil line Pete.

I started by using a Dymo tape guide but didn't find it that easy to follow and anyway found I didn't really need a guide - and it made the task a lot longer and more involved.  Actually I'm not sure I'd have bothered if it meant having to use a tape guide for every line of rivets.

As I say I haven't done this before so haven't any experience to draw on; but the wheel on the trumpeter tool is quite large and I found it easy enough to keep in a straight line.

I've also got some rather smaller PE riveting wheels and they are much harder to keep in a straight line - although have been necessary to get close to corners/the fuselage. 

5 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

I always attempt free hand with mine and always go off at a little

I'd describe mine as 'good enough' - the odd skew-wiff line doesn't seem to stand out from the herd thankfully.

Both upper wings done.  Like I say, the odd less than straight line doesn't seem to announce itself too loudly.

y4mWPzS1rZ9cFpGqWlwMI7E8DjKpcNoJTW3CkPw4

I hope that some impression of the rivets survives the colour-coating - like Roger's did.

15 hours ago, TheBaron said:

will you be using the same approach on curved surfaces as well?

Think I'll use the same technique wherever I can use the trumpeter riveter and use a tape guide whenever I need to use the small rivet wheel.  That's the assumption (nearly said that's the plan - but plan is too grand a word).

• Like 20

On 6/7/2023 at 5:08 AM, Fritag said:

Like I say, the odd less than straight line doesn't seem to announce itself too loudly.

This describes my riveting philosophy exactly - OK my entire model making philosophy.

The wing looks grand Steve.

• Haha 5

Looks awesome Steve. I have the same tool in its original box. Till now I was not brave enough to attempt using it on a nearly finished model. But I will exercise it on my one of the ongoing Oxcart builds. There will be enough panels to be riveted. 😁

Serkan

• Like 1

On 6/7/2023 at 4:08 PM, Fritag said:

tool is quite large and I found it easy enough to keep in a straight line.

As the Bishop said to the actress!

I have to agree though that the rivets definitely improve the look!

Ian

• Haha 2

Morning All,

The Defiant hasn’t had much attention this last week or so.  Too much lawyering; and too much good weather cycling etc. for the use of…

Still got the fuselage and underside to rivet.  Hoping to do that during some stolen work-time this week.  But I did get the chance yesterday to add a few odds and ends to get the undercarriage bays ready for painting.

The bays aren’t that busy for real, and Airfix have moulded in some nice detail; but it was only a little work to add a bit more:

Oh, and I made use of a very neat little etch glue applicator tool produced by Pete @PeteH1969 which he very kindly sent me:

y4m1Z-UGhhZijTrV3Fhtn3UvRv1cfzPMi35LxveJ

The timing was serendipitous cos I had just managed to break the end of my flexifile CA applicator.  Thanks Pete! it worked a treat! 👍

So, the finished bays. Really, just some stretched sprue wiring on the bay roof, which (funnily enough) is exactly the same colour as the moulded in detail so you’ll have to guess what’s added, some piping/supports from 0.5mm rod/0.25 card and the engine crank handle in the starboard bay from 0.5mm plastic rod and 0.7mm brass tube.

y4mUhixUtgiu19SsjAy7LiBal6Rupo__BV9UWOep

y4mkX9R83_WmMv_T2wtaLsJ73Rc1DeHbO2_qpNkf

y4mCPWc39TTQgkRfQRmYD6_Mo3YJGFInaXO2Guc6

So.  More riveting.  Moveable flying surfaces to stick on.  Then I think the main structure is ready for paint.

I’m off to Newfoundland for a couple of weeks towards the end of the month and it’d be nice to have it at least primed before then.

Oh.  I’ve got to make a canopy for the rear cockpit some time.  That’s a CAD/print buck/Vac form job; so could be another in-between-work task.

(added by edit) Oh, and the under-fuselage swivel pully to draw and print n’all.  Ideally before priming; but could be added after main painting if need be…

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Steve,

Some nice extra details in there - definitely lifts the bays!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

More good old fashioned modelling skills of an extraordinary level! The wheel bays look amazing! 👏👏👏

Hope you can squeeze in some modelling time in between lawyering duties so we can see more wizardry before your holiday.

Richie

• Like 4

Small steps forward but lovely neat and satisfying ones!
I confess to be being surprised to read of an engine crank handle in the undercarriage bay, but as it’s you, a lawyer and all, “that’s good enough for me”.

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, Brandy said:

Enjoy Newfoundland. I'm sure it'll be a welcome break having been so long since your last one!

My thoughts exactly Ian. I was actually just thinking it was about time Steve was off again 🤔..........

Neat little additions in the U/C bay there for sure, and that CA applicator looks the biz. Must look out for one of those.

Enjoy your time in Canada!

Terry

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Dave Slowbuild said:

I confess to be being surprised to read of an engine crank handle in the undercarriage bay, but as it’s you, a lawyer and all, “that’s good enough for me”.

Ok, Dave - you got me.  Clearly not lawyerly enough for you :rofl2:

How about "and the engine crank handle stored in the starboard bay"? :winkgrin: (are you sure I hadn't put that little explanatory word in a footnote or appendix? How remiss of me....)

Edited by Fritag
  • Haha 9

3 hours ago, Fritag said:

How about "and the engine crank handle stored in the starboard bay

Ahhh, stored…….  I get it, I get it…

This seemingly obvious explanation did not occur to me this morning.  I blame the heat.🤪

Though in my defence I don’t recall seeing a stored starting handle on any other aircraft model, so hat’s off to you for the super detaining!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

He's leaving again....😔

Not before adding some old style marvelous details inside the wheel bays, though :clap: :clap: 

Enjoy your hols, Steve! :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Haha 4