Late Model FW 190D-9, a Tale of the Tail.

Retired Bob

Before I assemble the fuselage I thought I would post a photo of the cockpit with the Quinta 3D decals that I have painted with RLM 66 compared to the original decals, as you can see the shade of grey is too light.  The red handles and straps are too large as well, luckily the Eduard p/e has some spare items.

IMG_2038

I put all the sub-assemblies into the fuselage, it fitted together better than I expected, working from the tail forward using TET I joined the fuselage section at a time and then attached the gun covers and finally the lower wing.  The upper wings are just clipped in place while the glue dries on the rest of the airframe.  The wing gun covers are the Quickboost ones, I don't want to risk attaching them and the upper wings in case it distorts the other parts.

IMG_2042

Thanks for looking, any questions or comments are welcome.

• Like 13

Nice work Bob

Its a shame that Quinta got the colour of the RLM66 so off. The detail on those 3D printed looks great. I have a set of Eduard ones ready for my second build. 

Look forward to more progress. 

James

• Like 1

10 hours ago, franky boy said:

Its a shame that Quinta got the colour of the RLM66 so off. The detail on those 3D printed looks great. I have a set of Eduard ones ready for my second build. 

That seems to be a problem with Quinta 3d decals, they are beautifully detailed but the panel background colour is usually wrong and needs 'adjusting'.

I have a set of the Eduard 'Space' ones for another kit, the background colour looks much better, just a bit too shiny.  Easy to apply some matt varnish to cure that. :winkgrin:

• Like 1

With the glue all dried on the fuselage and lower wing it was time to attach the upper wings.  I attached the Quickboost gun covers to the wing gun openings with ca glue, I then dry fitted the upper wings, the gun covers were not a good fit into the fuselage opening, I then tried a spare pair of upper wings from one of the newer Eduard FW kits, they were a really good fit so I applied some Tamiya extra thin and with just a few dabs of sprue goo to a gap along the wing leading edge root, near where the canon barrels go, and all was good.  The photo shows the original wings with the Quickboost gun covers, they appear to be too small to be a good fit into the fuselage openings with large gaps.  I also sprayed the spinner white as a base for the spiral that JG 26 aircraft had.

IMG_2045 IMG_2046

While I was adding the spare parts from a new kit, I tried the tail planes and with a bit of trimming they were a good fit as well.  From this angle you can see that the wing with it's gun covers is a really good fit.  I've used the spare ailerons and elevators but because of different attachment methods I've used the kit rudder.

I'll let the sprue goo dry for a day or two and get on with my other build.  Thanks for looking, any comments or questions are welcome.

Edited by Retired Bob
missing word
  • Like 6

10 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

I then tried a spare pair of upper wings from one of the newer Eduard FW kits, they were a really good fit so I applied some Tamiya extra thin and with just a few dabs of sprue goo to a gap along the wing leading edge root, near where the canon barrels go, and all was good.

Bob, That's a very nice solution. I remember when I built my Dora many moons ago, and also closed it up, I spent some time fettling to thin the cannon cover. In the end, you can get a good result.  But, I do like your short cut.

BM_FW190D9

Also, I have been admiring your cockpit. Great work. Good job blending in the Quinta stuff.

Ray

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

Bob, That's a very nice solution. I remember when I built my Dora many moons ago, and also closed it up, I spent some time fettling to thin the cannon cover. In the end, you can get a good result.  But, I do like your short cut.

I'm not sure why the Quickboost gun covers don't fit, I'll have a play with another fuselage to see what the problem is.

16 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

Also, I have been admiring your cockpit. Great work. Good job blending in the Quinta stuff.

Just a pity Quinta have such strange panel background colours, I know there are various shades of RLM 66 but those panel covers are way too light.  The Eduard 'Space' ones for the FW family are a very dark grey, just a bit shiny.  If I get to build an A-8 I can do a photo comparison. 

1 hour ago, 81-er said:

that's a lovely Dora

The Dora - the most attractive Fw 190 variant IMHO

Great kit to work with so long as you take some care with the top of the wheel well and the mating rear engine visible components and corresponding fuselage/wing closure and, of course, the wing root cannon covers. Seems a lot, but not really. Forewarned is forearmed. Bob @Retired Bob is doing an excellent job and I am enjoying his attention to detail. Always some great tips for the subject and its build. 

Ray

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ray_W said:

I remember when I built my Dora many moons ago, and also closed it up, I spent some time fettling to thin the cannon cover. In the end, you can get a good result.

I meant to say that's a superb looking Dora.  I like how you have painted it with all the differently manufactured components in their various camouflage paints. :thumbsup:

12 hours ago, Ray_W said:

I remember when I built my Dora many moons ago, and also closed it up, I spent some time fettling to thin the cannon cover. In the end, you can get a good result.

Indeed Ray, I tried the kit gun covers and after some fettling they were a much better fit.  Glad I only bought one pair of the Quickboost gun covers.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've had to do quite a lot of fettling to get this FW ready for paint, it seemed that every time I thought it was ready I would find another problem, so it was the usual prime, sand, re-scribe, repeat.  I've finally got it where I'm satisfied, I made a start on the camouflage, spraying RLM 76 in the rough uppersurface pattern, I can now cut some paper masks to get a tight overspray with the RLM 81.  The underside will be a patchwork of natural metal, RLM 81 and both blue/grey and green/grey shades of RLM 76.

IMG_2096

Next task on this one is to add the black and white defence bands round the rear fuselage and the spinner spiral.  Thanks for looking. :winkgrin:

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Yep coming along very nicely, that will be an interesting paint scheme B)

There are colour differences between the EagleCal/Jerry Crandall book and the Japo FW 190D-9 book.  The Eduard colour scheme is the same as the JaPo book and that's what I'm going with. :winkgrin:  Just ordered a pair of FW 190A-4 overtree kits from Eduard, there was a gap in my production line.  :whistle:

• Like 2

Bit more work done today, I painted the white part of the RVD bands, while that hardens so I can mask it I started the patchwork of colours on the underside of the wings, first on is some natural metal on the outer panels.

IMG_2100

As the centre line pylon is painted blue/grey RLM 76 I'm leaving it off until the RLM 81 and green/grey are painted.  It's going to be fun masking those panels. :unsure:

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...