1/12 Marc Marquez Honda RC 213V Repsol 2014 highly detailed from the Tamiya kit cowls in place

Hello my friends,

Here it is! My 2nd Honda Repsol bike, with cowls in place this time, is now ready for inspection.

Even if it is a bit less detailed (mainly regarding cables running under the dashboard), I admit I love it and probably even prefer it to the first one, maybe because it is the last build, but above all because the cowls in place give the best perception in term of design and aerodynamics of this beautiful G.P bike. The decision to build a new model is for me, as for most of you I suppose, the result of an aesthetic crush, and the first time I saw the Tamiya box-art of this 2014 Honda Repsol, I thought I would build it some day. 

I finally build it 2 times!

For this 2nd build, I sometimes used alternative approaches for some details (no use of the provided decals for the Black stripes on the seat cowl and the tank cover, or yet use of the Kevlar Fiber pattern SK decals inside the upper cowl instead of the painting option), but most of the time, I was faithful to my first build. So, the Top Studio Chain set was patiently assembled and set in place another time to represent faithfully the chain, and, to give another example (I could give many), the rims were dug using the same technique than for the first build.

Here are below the pics:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I have now to try to represent Marc Marquez on this bike (from a Valentino Rossi figure I recall), what will be another challenge. I just began the work:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for watching 

Cheers, Olivier

P.S: for those of you interested, here are the links to the first build WIP and RFI:

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

• Totally Mad Olivier changed the title to 1/12 Marc Marquez Honda RC 213V Repsol 2014 highly detailed from the Tamiya kit cowls in place
  • 10 months later...

Hello my friends,

Nearly one year ago (last January 20), I showed my Marquez bike with cowls in place. I also showed the figure I bought to represent Marc Marquez, on which I just began the work…

Here is below the Minichamps original figure I used. Ironically, it represented Valentino Rossi, one of the most famous opponents to Marquez:

spacer.png

After months of patient work, I am now happy to show you my Marc Marquez figure, waiting to show it on the bike, quite soon:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

N.B: these pics are logically also in the WIP Honda RC 213V thread.

Merry Christmas to all

Olivier

• Like 8

18 hours ago, Robmccartney said:

Hi Oliver,

Beautiful work. Please can you help me. I am also trying to create a Marquez figure. How did you manage to get the sponsers decals especially the helmet and boots? I'm new to modelling so any help would be grateful. 

Hi Rob,

First thanks for the compliment.

Now you say you are new to modeling. I don’t want to discourage you in your will to, as well as I did, represent the Marquez figure, but you have to know that it was ever a big challenge for a quite experienced modeler like me, and even if I don’t have the time I would like for my hobby, consider that it took me nearly one year to get this result that remains for me a compromise as well as the mechanist, the other figure I wanted to represent to bring a human presence near and on the GP bikes.

I had done such a choice representing Pietro Bordino in the Fiat 806 and it is a bold choice that was not unanimous  at the time.

The decal job is a very patient job, with many corrections until you get the desired result, but it is just an aspect of the whole work.

You will have also to be a carver and a painter, you will need a fierce will to go through your project.

Now regarding the decal job, here are indications that could help you:

there was a big research work first, to get many pics on different angles of the Marquez race suit. I have been watching some of the 2014 GP races (especially the pre-race when drivers are on the starting line) on YT and capture screens were made, all that to get precise infos about the inscriptions and logos (many) on suit and helmet. 
After that, I have used internet to find the logos.

I didn’t create a WIP thread about this figure to earn time, but I may share with you or anybody here (on request and by PM, not to burden this page) my heavy but essential photo folder (including all logos) used for my project.

For some decals, the logos had to be distorted. I used the Photoscape X app for that job.

Then came the time to adjust the size of each logo, using Word.

Then decals were created by printing (HQ) the logos on white virgin decals.

After applying Microscale LDF, the decals could be applied.

Quite often, I had to paint over the decals to get a more convincing result, very delicate painting job.

Good luck in your project anyway, and if you have the required will, you will see that it will make you progress a lot in this demanding but exhilarating discipline that is model making.

Cheers, O

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Very nice. 

Have you considered some wear on the knee and toe sliders?

Thanks Bertie.

I see what you mean, but my Marquez is represented « clean », before the race, taking place on a « clean » bike.

But I admit it would be interesting to see an after race version, with wear on the knees, among others…

Cheers, O

• Like 1

Hi Rob,

I ´ve just seen your PM.

I will send you my folder with pleasure as soon as possible.

And yes, I used Tamiya epoxy resin to mould the helmet, but also many other elements of the figure, such the boots. Of course, there was a delicate  carving and sanding job to get a smooth surface. Notice that for the helmet, among others, I made a compromise, the real one being in fact more complex in shape than mine.

I also used other materials for some details (tin sheet, plastic card, LC resine etc.).

Cheers, O

• Like 1

Hello my friends,

Here are the last pics with finally my Marc Marquez figure taking place in the little scene, on his bike, near the one of Dani Pedrosa, the mechanic working on the latter:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for watching 

Cheers, O

• Like 2

2 hours ago, slippers said:

Incredible work. I can't even fathom the time and effort required. 👍

I confirm, slippers!! But happily, all this time and effort meant also a lot of fun. 

And a deep satisfaction at the end of the long road.

It is important to recall that initially, I was just supposed to build a single Honda Repsol Tamiya kit out of the box.

It is little by little that this initial simple project turned to first a highly detailed build without cowls, that I then decided to build the same bike with cowls, barely less detailed.

Only then I decided to represent the mechanic and finally Marquez on his bike...

Maybe one day I will create a little dio of the Honda stable.

But now I want to go back to my Ford Mustang build, left aside for a long time while the Repsol bike was just first a way to regain model making pleasure when I was confronted with problems that I couldn't overcome.

Cheers, O

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello chaps,

I was not totally happy with my previous pics, for 2 reasons:

1) the Marquez figure was not completely finished, as I had not yet assembled the fingers (2 ones at left, 4 ones at right), cut at the beginning of the work. Notice that the 4 fingers missing on the right hand were not visible on the mentioned pics.

2) the bikes and figures were placed on the showcase base.

Here are the very last pics I made, on a black cardboard, ever posted in my WIP Honda RC213 Repsol thread:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Now I leave you to go back to my Ford Mustang build, that I am strongly determined to complete.

Cheers, O

• Like 3

• 1 month later...