Bristol Beaufort Mk.I, Airfix, 1/72

John Laidlaw

1 minute ago, Col. said:

Hope there isn't any gaps that have allowed spray to encroach the canopy interior John.

That was a fear I'd been keeping to myself. If there are, that will dictate that I remove the parts and clean up the insides - but at least I should* be able to get better joints between the sections.

* This is theoretical, and dependant on how reckless I'm feeling.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As I'm still waiting for a pipettor in order to accurately measure out @Casey's Tamiya paint recipes for Dark Slate Grey and Extra Dark Sea Grey, I have resorted to Humbrol enamel 224 and 123. 224 is Dark Slate Grey, and the first coat was thinned with naphtha - this sprayed well, but I'd forgotten how long enamel takes to cure. The second coat was thinned with Humbrol's own thinner, and it seemed a little smoother in its application. I could be imagining it, though 😁. Like the first coat, it'll be polished with Trizact and plenty of water when it's cured.

So, (glacial) progress! (Yes, it's a patchy look - that is intentional.)

Final Dark Slate Grey

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

More progress, finally, after more work stuff, a visit with friends in Chicago, a pipettor to help with paint mixes, and finally a broken tensioning spring on the garage door.

Dark Slate Grey followed by Extra Dark Sea Grey, from Casey's Tamiya paint recipes, freehanded using a Badger Renegade Krome. Looks as rough as whatsits at the moment, but will hopefully come together after a rub down and a satin coat.

EDDG & DSG

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I am rapidly running out of time to do what's left to do - I suspect I won't make the deadline, but will keep trying. It's just the little things that sap my will, such as getting a decent satin coat on the model:

beaufort1.png

Then realising one of the marking identifier numbers from the transfer sheet made it onto the model and under the varnish:

beaufort2.png

I'm sure I can remove it, but it's just another in a long line of two-steps-back :sad:.

Edited by John Laidlaw
Photos were HUUUUUUGE.
  • Like 4

Even the smallest step of progress is a move forward John and it's always more rewarding in the long term to take time and produce a quality model than rush toward an arbitrary deadline ;) 

• Thanks 1

On 4/27/2023 at 8:45 AM, Col. said:

Even the smallest step of progress is a move forward John and it's always more rewarding in the long term to take time and produce a quality model than rush toward an arbitrary deadline ;) 

Thanks, Col - that makes me feel better, actually 🙂.

I have continued, but as it's now obvious that a miracle will not occur, these will be the last photos here. Weathering started on the main airframe, and I've deliberately kept it restrained (for me!). A few worn paint bits does with Vallejo Metal Color Dark Aluminium, then toned down with burnt umber oil paint. A little bit of filtering on some areas which might experience foot traffic and oil stains. The underside received a dusty wash of white mixed with burnt umber.

beaufort3.jpeg

beaufort4.jpeg

• Like 8