KFK Kriegsfischkutter (1/350 by ICM) - Finished

Faraway

This is to be my second build of this GB and such a tiny craft at that. Can you add it to my list please @TonyOD ?

p?i=b63fb4fd8101da7153f31bc416cac2ba

This is the one and ONLY sprue.

p?i=8f8ac0aa859698f3f73c073bd0cca4ea

I shall be mounting it on a seascape base, to represent this boat moored at a stone quay.

Now, I've noticed that there is a lot of detail on the box art, that is not present on the actual model. So, where I can, I will add parts from my stock of extras, if I've got them.

All will become apparent as I proceed.

First, I've made the quay side.

p?i=e2481ac1f1d0024c25aa3ae46cede03f

I found a site that is for railway modellers https://www.railwayscenics.com/index.php?ceid=97e50c587840907d5b6bfd37c99a6abc and they sell many types of paving and brick wall in paper form, the great thing is you can download and print them.

And that is what I have used here, with some thin strips of balsa wood, with a coat of wood stain.

I'll try and make some mooring bollards to moor there boat too.

The surface of the water is drying and I'll show you when its dry.

Now, onto the boat.

So far, all I've done is join the hull halves and add the waterline piece.

p?i=d6d22eb4f7671ec03909e784cf9a1ace

That's it for now. I'll be back tomorrow.

Jon

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

I'm glad you chose this. I've seen a few adverts for it recently, and thought it looked like an interesting little beastie. Not a type of vessel I'm familiar with.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, danbuoy said:

I'm glad you chose this. I've seen a few adverts for it recently, and thought it looked like an interesting little beastie. Not a type of vessel I'm familiar with.

Thanks. I've not come across these craft before either, I think its an armed fishing boat, but it does look fun. A very simple kit, that with luck, I'll be able to add a bit of extra detail to.

Nice thing is, it doesn't take up much room in my 'harbour' which is looking decidedly full.

Jon

Edit. I've just google translated Kriegsfischkutter and it comes out as 'War Fishing Trawler' so it's a bit like the RN armed trawlers.

J

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Faraway said:

Edit. I've just google translated Kriegsfischkutter and it comes out as 'War Fishing Trawler' so it's a bit like the RN armed trawlers.

J

Yes, I thought it had a very trawler-like appearance. I could just imagine one of these moored by the quayside in an occupied French port. Tempted by this kit myself now that I've well and truly caught the nautical bug with my Matchbox ships, and, like you say, size is hardly an issue!

• Like 2

I quite like what I saw in the initial photo of the box art thinking that it was quite an interesting looking vessel.

Then realized how small the model is. Yikes! that is small. Makes the 72nd scale Great War armoured cars I have been working on look gargantuan by comparision.

It will make for an interesting little diorama tied up quay side.

cheers, Graham

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mike said:

Nice to see someone building one of these.  I reviewed it recently here, which tells you how new it is :)

It was your review which led me to buying it. 👍👍👍👍

Jon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Faraway said:

Nah, Monday !

Gidday Jon, you disappoint me. With your build rate I expected it done by Sunday lunchtime, as did @Bobby No Mac. But then maybe we weren't counting the sea base. 😁

Seriously, it's an interesting subject, and as others have said, not particularly large.       Regards, Jeff.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

I mean compared to the resin ones you've been building

Ah, I understand. It’s not bad on moulded detail, given its diminutive size. The deck planking is fair as you’ll see later. I do think that had it been 3D printed the detail would have been better.

Jon

• Like 1

Another cold, clear and frosty day here, in sunny Somerset and a little bit of progress on my diminutive boat.

But first, I've almost finished the quay, I think I'll add a bit of 'stuff' otherwise it's going to look a bit barren.

p?i=2aa19de6638271351a321e4f7492a4f0

Now, back to the boat.

This is the wheel house which had no ladders provided in the kit, so..........

here's one that was a spare from another build.

p?i=abb9ef9480c1cd8d1f016f6fd1bb69d8

And it fits.

p?i=eba2596941b198d564216e47f510fdc0

Next up. What to do with the gunwale railing stantions ? I did consider attaching some stretchy line along the top.

p?i=1ec3bb6a3d01f096863487e0deaac04f

But with after further consideration I decided that I should fit this.

p?i=02fb36c1e466e40ad098a9dd45491c53

And so........

p?i=27111925d944879498bba5c245ab106c

Right, next the deck.

I've painted the attached fittings.

p?i=3e9cbcde4cee2f8642f29ca6d57828b4

Then given the planks a coat of burnt umber and then a dry brush of deck tan

p?i=a84df977d5fef67e8f1c072c265607dc

And fitted the deck to the hull.

p?i=2432666f8e8b51e39987cf8146b80d28

Finally the two gun platforms

p?i=17f3fc377c21ee1ff30132b61977b41a

These have railings supplied with the kit, but these railings are a bit chunky, so I expect I'll replace them with the same railing as I used on the hull.

That's todays progress, see you all soon.

Jon

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Wings unlevel said:

That’s either a tiny model or you have an enormous hobby knife? 🤣 Lovely work so far.

Cut down trees with that knife, mate. 😜

• Haha 1

Bit cold to start, but the frost has melted and the sun has come out, briefly.

Today has seen a bit more progress, both gun platforms added, with the from one getting its railings.

Life raft and roof added to the wheelhouse.

Oh, and I've finished painting the hull.

That little lump sticking out of the aft gun platform is supposed to be where the mast is attached, but given that the plastic mast is SO flimsy, I've drilled through here and will add a brass mast.

So tomorrow, out will come the soldering iron so I can attach the crosstrees to the mast.

That's it for now. Back tomorrow.

Jon

p?i=71d63b33717bc3b07fee7326e9730c28

• Like 9

All done.

I've used most of the parts supplied.

But I did change the mast from plastic to brass, to make it more sturdy. I added the two davits on the stern, as none were supplied. I added the railings to the gunwales and replaced the plastic ones on the gun platforms all with PE. I replaced the kit guns with two from Black Cat Models 3D printed ones.

A few bits and bobs added to the dock and some puddles created with transparent water gel from AK Interactive.

Lastly the paint for the deck was Model Air Burnt Umber, then dry brushed with Tamiya XF78 Deck Tan. The hull, deck house and fittings was Colourcoats KM02 Dunkelgrau 51 and KM06 Dunkelgrau 2.

Thanks to you all who followed along with this quick build, if you're interested the length of the boat, stem to stern is 67mm

Jon

p?i=16a3e5fdc118390393f5b1ff591a14a8

• Like 16